Re: [nslu2-linux] Unable to access slug after installing SlugOS

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
      What instructions have you followed thus far?

      Here's the definitive page (all others should be considered obsolete or
      questionable at best):

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugO/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem

      As noted by Patrick already, SlugOS has neither a telnet server nor a
      web server installed -- SSH is the only way to communicate with SlugOS,
      at least until you get some external storage configured and install
      either a web server or a telnet server.

      -Mike (mwester)

      On 11/2/2012 11:33 AM, underscoretom wrote:
      > I recently purchased a used NSLU2 with the intent of putting wview on it for weather station support.
      >
      > Upon installing the latest SlugOS per instructions, I cannot access the slug in any way (telnet or via the web interface, nor any ping) once the installation is complete and it reboots. Reading around suggested I should install unslung OS first and confirm the IP address is set to what I expect it to be. Installing unslung works fine. I can install (including SSH) and configure as its instructions suggest. But then when installing SlugOS again, same response. I am not able to telnet or use the web interface (*.77 default).
      >
      > Suggestions?

    • Patrick Mcgillan
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
        I did pretty much everything on the page, except the Optware stuff at the bottom. I then installed lighttpd, perl, and rsync. When launching lighttpd, it will give erros about missing libraries. Just use the 'opkg install ???" where ? marked is replaced by the name of the missing library. Just use the name and not the version part. Let us know how you are doing and we can get you running out there.

        Patrick

        On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Mike Westerhof (mwester) <mwester@...> wrote:

        What instructions have you followed thus far?

        Here's the definitive page (all others should be considered obsolete or
        questionable at best):

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugO/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem

        As noted by Patrick already, SlugOS has neither a telnet server nor a
        web server installed -- SSH is the only way to communicate with SlugOS,
        at least until you get some external storage configured and install
        either a web server or a telnet server.

        -Mike (mwester)

        On 11/2/2012 11:33 AM, underscoretom wrote:
        > I recently purchased a used NSLU2 with the intent of putting wview on it for weather station support.
        >
        > Upon installing the latest SlugOS per instructions, I cannot access the slug in any way (telnet or via the web interface, nor any ping) once the installation is complete and it reboots. Reading around suggested I should install unslung OS first and confirm the IP address is set to what I expect it to be. Installing unslung works fine. I can install (including SSH) and configure as its instructions suggest. But then when installing SlugOS again, same response. I am not able to telnet or use the web interface (*.77 default).
        >
        > Suggestions?

      • underscoretom
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
          I couldn't ping it, no.

          As it turned out from googling I found a note that even if you use a static IP, it should be in the DHCP range. Once I did that, I was able to access things as expected.

          Thanks.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Mcgillan <patrick.mcgillan@...> wrote:

          > Can you ping it? Standard dos ping program should get answers which
          > verifies not only that is alive, but you have the correct address. SSH is
          > the only way as it doesn't have a telnet program. Go download Putty.exe,
          > its free and works good.
          >
          > I just upgraded mine to Slug OS BE 3.15. Works great! By the way, there is
          > no web server loaded. I installed lighttpd.
          >
          > Patrick
          >

          > On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM, underscoretom <underscore05@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I recently purchased a used NSLU2 with the intent of putting wview on it
          > > for weather station support.
          > >
          > > Upon installing the latest SlugOS per instructions, I cannot access the
          > > slug in any way (telnet or via the web interface, nor any ping) once the
          > > installation is complete and it reboots. Reading around suggested I should
          > > install unslung OS first and confirm the IP address is set to what I expect
          > > it to be. Installing unslung works fine. I can install (including SSH) and
          > > configure as its instructions suggest. But then when installing SlugOS
          > > again, same response. I am not able to telnet or use the web interface
          > > (*.77 default).
          > >
          > > Suggestions?

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
            THIS is or react Internet Link, for SlugOS.
            Earlier link had a typo.

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem