Re: [nslu2-linux] Digest Number 2807

  • Ralph Green
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2012
      Howdy,
      I have setup a few of the Pogo-E02 models and they work pretty well.
      I actually bought my first Pogoplug just after I bought my first
      Slug. I never got arounf to setting up the slug. The Model 4
      Pogoplug only has 128 meg of ram. The Pogo-E02 has 256 meg. The
      Model 4 is a bit smaller and uses an external power supply. The
      Pogo-E02 has an internal power supply and still is found for about
      $25. Some of the model 4 units have built in wifi, which can be
      handy.
      Have fun,
      Ralph

      On 10/26/12, Brian Wood <bwood@...> wrote:
      > On 10/26/2012 02:00 PM, dR wrote:
      >>

      >> I have a silly number of Slugs (using SlugOS and OpenWRT). I also have
      >> a SheevaPlug, a DNS-323, and a PogoPlug v2.
      >>
      >> I only know my version of the PogoPlug, but it cost $20 new (yes, new)
      >> and installing Arch Linux was easy. Of all the devices I have tested
      >> so far, it's the one that I favour to replace the Slug.
      >>

      > I have a Pogoplug, I think it's the original. According to
      > /cat/proc/cpuino it's a Marvell SheevPlug reference board. This means
      > you could buy a Sheevaplug and get twice the RAM.
      >
      > But the CPU is an order of magnitude faster than a slug, I have Debian
      > running on it and it seems to work fine.
      >

      >> I still like my Slugs, though.
      >>

      > As do I, but I wouldn't buy one today, there are better alternatives.

    • Harsh
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
        Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll probably evaluate more than one of the suggested options and settle on one that fits best.

        Just the idea that viable options exist is comforting since the slug has become an important part of my home setup and a serious geek hobby to boot :D big grin

        I have setup a few of the Pogo-E02 models and they work pretty well.
        I actually bought my first Pogoplug just after I bought my first
        Slug. I never got arounf to setting up the slug. The Model 4
        Pogoplug only has 128 meg of ram. The Pogo-E02 has 256 meg. The
        Model 4 is a bit smaller and uses an external power supply. The
        Pogo-E02 has an internal power supply and still is found for about
        $25. Some of the model 4 units have built in wifi, which can be
        handy.
        Have fun,
        Ralph

        On 10/26/12, Brian Wood <bwood@...> wrote:
        > On 10/26/2012 02:00 PM, dR wrote:
        >>

        >> I have a silly number of Slugs (using SlugOS and OpenWRT). I also have
        >> a SheevaPlug, a DNS-323, and a PogoPlug v2.
        >>
        >> I only know my version of the PogoPlug, but it cost $20 new (yes, new)
        >> and installing Arch Linux was easy. Of all the devices I have tested
        >> so far, it's the one that I favour to replace the Slug.
        >>

        > I have a Pogoplug, I think it's the original. According to
        > /cat/proc/cpuino it's a Marvell SheevPlug reference board. This means
        > you could buy a Sheevaplug and get twice the RAM.
        >
        > But the CPU is an order of magnitude faster than a slug, I have Debian
        > running on it and it seems to work fine.
        >

        >> I still like my Slugs, though.
        >>

        > As do I, but I wouldn't buy one today, there are better alternatives.

      • Andrea Di Dato
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
          Il 27/10/2012 12.00, Harsh ha scritto:

          > Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll probably evaluate more than one
          > of the suggested options and settle on one that fits best.
          >
          > Just the idea that viable options exist is comforting since the slug has
          > become an important part of my home setup and a serious geek hobby to
          > boot :D big grin.

          You can try the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 router too. It basicly is a 3G router
          (no 3G modem inside, you have to use a dongle) but fundamentally it is a
          nice and very economic piece of hardware that in many cases can
          substitute the Slug.

          Have a look to it!

          Andrea