Re: [nslu2-linux] Digest Number 2807

  • dR
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2012
      I have a silly number of Slugs (using SlugOS and OpenWRT). I also have a SheevaPlug, a DNS-323, and a PogoPlug v2.

      I only know my version of the PogoPlug, but it cost $20 new (yes, new) and installing Arch Linux was easy. Of all the devices I have tested so far, it's the one that I favour to replace the Slug.

      I still like my Slugs, though.

      >>> quoted below:

      1a. Pogoplug Series 4
          Posted by: "harshbaste" harshbaste@... harshbaste
          Date: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm ((PDT))

      One of the kits I was looking at is the Pogoplug Series 4. Does anyone on this channel have any extended experience with it.
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2012
        On 10/26/2012 02:00 PM, dR wrote:

        I have a silly number of Slugs (using SlugOS and OpenWRT). I also have a SheevaPlug, a DNS-323, and a PogoPlug v2.

        I only know my version of the PogoPlug, but it cost $20 new (yes, new) and installing Arch Linux was easy. Of all the devices I have tested so far, it's the one that I favour to replace the Slug.

        I have a Pogoplug, I think it's the original. According to /cat/proc/cpuino it's a Marvell SheevPlug reference board. This means you could buy a Sheevaplug and get twice the RAM.

        But the CPU is an order of magnitude faster than a slug, I have Debian running on it and it seems to work fine.

        I still like my Slugs, though.

        As do I, but I wouldn't buy one today, there are better alternatives.

      • Ralph Green
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2012
          Howdy,
          I have setup a few of the Pogo-E02 models and they work pretty well.
          I actually bought my first Pogoplug just after I bought my first
          Slug. I never got arounf to setting up the slug. The Model 4
          Pogoplug only has 128 meg of ram. The Pogo-E02 has 256 meg. The
          Model 4 is a bit smaller and uses an external power supply. The
          Pogo-E02 has an internal power supply and still is found for about
          $25. Some of the model 4 units have built in wifi, which can be
          handy.
          Have fun,
          Ralph

          On 10/26/12, Brian Wood <bwood@...> wrote:
          > On 10/26/2012 02:00 PM, dR wrote:
          >>

          >> I have a silly number of Slugs (using SlugOS and OpenWRT). I also have
          >> a SheevaPlug, a DNS-323, and a PogoPlug v2.
          >>
          >> I only know my version of the PogoPlug, but it cost $20 new (yes, new)
          >> and installing Arch Linux was easy. Of all the devices I have tested
          >> so far, it's the one that I favour to replace the Slug.
          >>

          > I have a Pogoplug, I think it's the original. According to
          > /cat/proc/cpuino it's a Marvell SheevPlug reference board. This means
          > you could buy a Sheevaplug and get twice the RAM.
          >
          > But the CPU is an order of magnitude faster than a slug, I have Debian
          > running on it and it seems to work fine.
          >

          >> I still like my Slugs, though.
          >>

          > As do I, but I wouldn't buy one today, there are better alternatives.

        • Harsh
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
            Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll probably evaluate more than one of the suggested options and settle on one that fits best.

            Just the idea that viable options exist is comforting since the slug has become an important part of my home setup and a serious geek hobby to boot :D big grin

            I have setup a few of the Pogo-E02 models and they work pretty well.
            I actually bought my first Pogoplug just after I bought my first
            Slug. I never got arounf to setting up the slug. The Model 4
            Pogoplug only has 128 meg of ram. The Pogo-E02 has 256 meg. The
            Model 4 is a bit smaller and uses an external power supply. The
            Pogo-E02 has an internal power supply and still is found for about
            $25. Some of the model 4 units have built in wifi, which can be
            handy.
            Have fun,
            Ralph

            On 10/26/12, Brian Wood <bwood@...> wrote:
            > On 10/26/2012 02:00 PM, dR wrote:
            >>

            >> I have a silly number of Slugs (using SlugOS and OpenWRT). I also have
            >> a SheevaPlug, a DNS-323, and a PogoPlug v2.
            >>
            >> I only know my version of the PogoPlug, but it cost $20 new (yes, new)
            >> and installing Arch Linux was easy. Of all the devices I have tested
            >> so far, it's the one that I favour to replace the Slug.
            >>

            > I have a Pogoplug, I think it's the original. According to
            > /cat/proc/cpuino it's a Marvell SheevPlug reference board. This means
            > you could buy a Sheevaplug and get twice the RAM.
            >
            > But the CPU is an order of magnitude faster than a slug, I have Debian
            > running on it and it seems to work fine.
            >

            >> I still like my Slugs, though.
            >>

            > As do I, but I wouldn't buy one today, there are better alternatives.

          • Andrea Di Dato
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
              Il 27/10/2012 12.00, Harsh ha scritto:

              > Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll probably evaluate more than one
              > of the suggested options and settle on one that fits best.
              >
              > Just the idea that viable options exist is comforting since the slug has
              > become an important part of my home setup and a serious geek hobby to
              > boot :D big grin.

              You can try the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 router too. It basicly is a 3G router
              (no 3G modem inside, you have to use a dongle) but fundamentally it is a
              nice and very economic piece of hardware that in many cases can
              substitute the Slug.

              Have a look to it!

              Andrea