Re: [nslu2-linux] Cron & flashfs

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:22:16 -0500, Ray <ryjewski@...> wrote:
      > How do I change the cron table permanently using flashfs? I couldn't
      > seem to find any doc on how to do this and I'm a noob.

      Unslung 2.x's "flashfs" script (which gets renamed to "resling" in
      Unslung 3.x) is used as follows:

      1/ You call "flashfs save" to save any files in /unslung into a
      .tar.gz file which is stored on the data (not conf) partition of
      either an attached disk on Disk2 (usually a small FAT flash key which
      you keep all your settings on), or an attached disk on Disk1 (they are
      checked in that order).

      2/ If you want it to save more files than just those in /unslung, then
      you add the full pathnames of the files (or directories) that you want
      to save into /unslung/.files, one per line. The flashfs script will
      then add those files or directories to the .tar.gz file as well.

      3/ When you want to reload your modified files, call "flashfs load".
      It just searches for the flashfs.tar.gz file on the topmost directory
      of the data partitions, and then just untars it.

      4/ The suggested usage for Unslung 2.x is to put a call to "flashfs
      load" in your /unslung/rc.local diversion script. Then your modified
      files get reloaded on every boot.

      So if you want to save your modified /etc/crontab file, just add it's
      name to /unslung/.files, and then call "flashfs save".

      -- Rod
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
        Rod Whitby wrote:
        > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:22:16 -0500, Ray <ryjewski@...> wrote:
        >
        >>How do I change the cron table permanently using flashfs? I couldn't
        >>seem to find any doc on how to do this and I'm a noob.
        >

        > Unslung 2.x's "flashfs" script (which gets renamed to "resling" in
        > Unslung 3.x) is used as follows:
        >
        > 1/ You call "flashfs save" to save any files in /unslung into a
        > .tar.gz file which is stored on the data (not conf) partition of
        > either an attached disk on Disk2 (usually a small FAT flash key which
        > you keep all your settings on), or an attached disk on Disk1 (they are
        > checked in that order).
        >
        > 2/ If you want it to save more files than just those in /unslung, then
        > you add the full pathnames of the files (or directories) that you want
        > to save into /unslung/.files, one per line. The flashfs script will
        > then add those files or directories to the .tar.gz file as well.
        >
        > 3/ When you want to reload your modified files, call "flashfs load".
        > It just searches for the flashfs.tar.gz file on the topmost directory
        > of the data partitions, and then just untars it.
        >
        > 4/ The suggested usage for Unslung 2.x is to put a call to "flashfs
        > load" in your /unslung/rc.local diversion script. Then your modified
        > files get reloaded on every boot.
        >
        > So if you want to save your modified /etc/crontab file, just add it's
        > name to /unslung/.files, and then call "flashfs save".
        >
        > -- Rod
        >

        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
        Rod,

        Thanks for the great reply. Is this information posted anywhere on the
        unslung site and I just missed it? If not could this be made into a
        "HowTo Recipe"? This is great stuff for noobs.
      • Kai Steinbach
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
          Hello Ray,

          On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:39:44 -0500, Ray <ryjewski@...> wrote:
          > Is this information posted anywhere on the
          > unslung site and I just missed it? If not could this be made into a
          > "HowTo Recipe"? This is great stuff for noobs.

          Great! I like your thinking.

          Do you know about
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/Nslu2Rules
          ?