optware package git_1.7.12.1-1_powerpc.ipk buggy?

  • ghiro2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2012
      Hi dear folks, I've spent three full days trying to get git working on a synology ds101g+ diskstation with no result. My aim is to enable ds101g+ to host git repositories.  The error is trivial to describe and to reproduce. After installing all the necessary packages (core-utils, ssh, git, ...) I connected to the diskstation via ssh and performed this simple test:

      - initialize an empty repository
          DiskStation> cd /volume1/repos/
          DiskStation> mkdir test
          DiskStation> cd test
          DiskStation> git init
          Initialized empty Git repository in /volume1/repos/test/.git/

      - add a single file and commit
          DiskStation> echo 'hi' > hi
          DiskStation> git add hi
          Diskstation> git commit -m "first commit"
          error: unable to find 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057
          fatal: 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057 is not a valid object

      - What's that? Let's check the filesystem
          DiskStation> git fsck
          notice: HEAD points to an unborn branch (master)
          Checking object directories: 100% (256/256), done.
          error: unable to find 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057
          fatal: failed to read object 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057: Bad file descriptor

      - the funny part is that the objects DO EXIST in the filesystem:
          DiskStation> find .git/objects/ -type f
          .git/objects/45/b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057

      The bottom line is that git do not accept any commit. This is really a strange error which seems to depend on the git package. To confirm this suspect I mounted the git repository via ssh and perfomed the same check from a PC (this time using git on the PC):
          PC> sshfs git@diskstation:/volume1/repos/test ~/test
          PC> cd test
          PC> git fsck
          notice: HEAD points to an unborn branch (master)
          notice: No default references

      NO ERRORS! Which implies that the repository is not corrupted. So what? Am I doing right? Anyone out there have an idea of what's going on? Thanks a lot

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2012
        I don't have an explanation. But I tried it on a ds209j with the same feed and it's working fine.

        $ mkdir test
        $ cd test
        $ git init
        Initialized empty Git repository in /home/bzhou/tmp/test/.git/
        (master)$ echo hi > hi
        (master)$ git add hi
        (master)$ git commit -m 'first commit'
        [master (root-commit) 2cd372e] first commit
        1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
        create mode 100644 hi

        This probably points to a buggy libc on ds101g+?

        $ /lib/libc.so.6
        GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3, by Roland McGrath et al.
        PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
        Compiled by GNU CC version 3.3.4.
        Compiled on a Linux 2.4.22-uc0 system on 2004-12-09.
        Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
        software FPU emulation by Richard Henderson, Jakub Jelinek and others
        Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs@...>.

        hmm, libc is also pretty old on ds209j. Wonder what are the other differences?

        -Brian

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "ghiro2000" <ghiro2000@...> wrote:

        > Hi dear folks, I've spent three full days trying to get git working on a
        > synology ds101g+ diskstation with no result. My aim is to enable ds101g+
        > to host git repositories. The error is trivial to describe and to
        > reproduce. After installing all the necessary packages (core-utils, ssh,
        > git, ...) I connected to the diskstation via ssh and performed this
        > simple test:
        >
        > - initialize an empty repository
        > DiskStation> cd /volume1/repos/
        > DiskStation> mkdir test
        > DiskStation> cd test
        > DiskStation> git init
        > Initialized empty Git repository in /volume1/repos/test/.git/
        >
        > - add a single file and commit
        > DiskStation> echo 'hi' > hi
        > DiskStation> git add hi
        > Diskstation> git commit -m "first commit"
        > error: unable to find 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057
        > fatal: 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057 is not a valid
        > object
        >
        > - What's that? Let's check the filesystem
        > DiskStation> git fsck
        > notice: HEAD points to an unborn branch (master)
        > Checking object directories: 100% (256/256), done.
        > error: unable to find 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057
        > fatal: failed to read object
        > 45b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057: Bad file descriptor
        >
        > - the funny part is that the objects DO EXIST in the filesystem:
        > DiskStation> find .git/objects/ -type f
        > .git/objects/45/b983be36b73c0788dc9cbcb76cbb80fc7bb057
        >
        > The bottom line is that git do not accept any commit. This is really a
        > strange error which seems to depend on the git package. To confirm this
        > suspect I mounted the git repository via ssh and perfomed the same check
        > from a PC (this time using git on the PC):
        > PC> sshfs git@diskstation:/volume1/repos/test ~/test
        > PC> cd test
        > PC> git fsck
        > notice: HEAD points to an unborn branch (master)
        > notice: No default references
        >
        > NO ERRORS! Which implies that the repository is not corrupted. So what?
        > Am I doing right? Anyone out there have an idea of what's going on?
        > Thanks a lot

      • ghiro2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2012
          Thanks Brian for your answer. I followed your advice and checked the ds101g+ libc, but "unfortunatelly" it looks like yours:

          DiskStation> /lib/libc.so.6
          GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3, by Roland McGrath et al.
          PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
          Compiled by GNU CC version 3.3.4.
          Compiled on a Linux 2.4.22-uc0 system on 2004-12-09.
          Available extensions:

          What makes me suspicious of this situation is that I couldn't find one single user with this sort of problem on the web. I started with an original ds101g+ and added just the few packages needed to host repositories (no other hacking whatsoever).  Ok the device is pretty old and likely most of the users dealt with these issues years ago. But here comes my point: isn't it possible that maybe older git packages were working fine on ds101g+ ? I wonder if I there is a way to install one of those old packages and see what happen (ipkg -force-downgrade makes no difference).

          ghiro