sendmail needs updating

  • tlhackque
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2012
      unslung sendmail has a couple of issues - perhaps the maintainer can address them as I don't have a build environment. (My goal is to port my normal production sendmail configuration to unlsung, modified slightly to serve as a secondary queuing bastion host that can survive a long power failure on UPS...)

      1) The latest version is 8.14.5 (+ a patch, both at http://sendmail.com/sm/open_source/download/8.14.5/; the patch is listed under "errata".) The current ipkg is 8.14.2.

      2) The ipkg doesn't include the files necessary to configure sendmail; e.g. /usr/share/sendmail-cf (should install to /opt/usr/share/sendmail-cf; /usr/share/sendmail-cf can symlink to this). Some distributions package these separately; if that route is chosen, note that m4 is a dependency.)

      3) symlinks should be installed from /var/spool/{client,}mqueue to /opt/var/spool/{client,}mqueue

      4) Normal security options for sendmail require SASL support - unslung sendmail isn't compiled with it. (I copied the sendmail-cf stuff from a fedora system and rebuilt sendmail.cf on unslung to get this far.)

      #/opt/etc/init.d/S69sendmail start
      starting service sendmail Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
      Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)
      ok

      SASL support needs to be turned on - otherwise one can't require SSL authentication for relay. This should be easy as sasl-libs are already available.

      5) cyrus-sasl-libs should be a dependency

      6) S69sendmail should have a 'status' command; also the -L and -q flag values should be settable from a config file (e.g. /opt/etc/sysconfig/sendmail)

      Thanks!