Re: [nslu2-linux] Corrupted bootdisk. Can I re-TURNUP?

  • Joachim Banzhaf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18 7:35 AM
      I wouldn't recommend continuing to work with the sda disk.

      It already showed irreparable read errors. Very bad sign.
      At least check the smart data of the disk (smartmontools). to see te
      overall health of the disk.
      Usually it already had several read errors/bad blocks that the operating
      system didnt see due to self healing mechanisms (block relocation).
      That would mean it will very likely fail again soon. If that read error
      from your logs was on new peronal data you dont have on a backup then
      you already have irreversible data loss. You dont want to have that
      again, right?

      I would get me a new disk, restore a recent backup of sda on it (or
      install os from scratch) and then try to salvage any important data from
      sda that was not on the backup by simple file copy (with the old sda
      externally attached).

      The details of this vary depending on the exact setup (LVM used? 3 disks
      directly attachable at the device or the Ubuntu server, ...) or personal
      preference/knowledge.

      HTH