I2C bus problem

  • clerew5
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2012
      I have a NSLU2 thst is being used to control a heating system. I have brought out the i2c bus (the one that drives the clock chip) just like the wiki pages say, and amongst the various devices on that bus there are some Texas PCF8575 I/O Expander chips, for listening to push buttons, lighting leds and, in particular, for operating relays that will turn boilers off and on.

      Now the doco for the PCF8575 quite definitely states that upon power-on (specifically before the power supply has risen to 1.2V) the chip resets itself so that all the outputs are High (i.e. +ve, provided you provide a suitable pullup-resistor). And I have arranged one of those outputs so that when it is high it inhibits all those relays, so no boilers come on until the system has booted and the control program has started. The doco says clearly that after reseting these outputs to high they remain in that state until the i2c bus dictates otherwise.

      Nevertheless, the relays are coming on as soon as power is plugged in, before the slug even begins its boot process. So what is happening? I cannot see how the i2c bus stuff in Slogos can have awoken that early and, in any case, it does not even know the bus address of these devices. So can it be the manner in which the power comes on? Note that I have bypassed the 'on' button (again according to the wiki), so the slug is on so long as its power supply is plugged it (and plugging it in starts the boot process).

      Helpful suggestions welcomed.
    • Ingo Flaschberger
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2012

        switch the relais-power-supply "on" via one of the leds.
        (I had the problems that a serial to 1wire converter gets "confused" by
        serial boot messages, so I switch it on after bootup via a led).

        bye,
        Ingo

        Am 04.04.2012 00:15, schrieb clerew5:
        > I have a NSLU2 thst is being used to control a heating system. I have brought out the i2c bus (the one that drives the clock chip) just like the wiki pages say, and amongst the various devices on that bus there are some Texas PCF8575 I/O Expander chips, for listening to push buttons, lighting leds and, in particular, for operating relays that will turn boilers off and on.
        >
        > Now the doco for the PCF8575 quite definitely states that upon power-on (specifically before the power supply has risen to 1.2V) the chip resets itself so that all the outputs are High (i.e. +ve, provided you provide a suitable pullup-resistor). And I have arranged one of those outputs so that when it is high it inhibits all those relays, so no boilers come on until the system has booted and the control program has started. The doco says clearly that after reseting these outputs to high they remain in that state until the i2c bus dictates otherwise.
        >
        > Nevertheless, the relays are coming on as soon as power is plugged in, before the slug even begins its boot process. So what is happening? I cannot see how the i2c bus stuff in Slogos can have awoken that early and, in any case, it does not even know the bus address of these devices. So can it be the manner in which the power comes on? Note that I have bypassed the 'on' button (again according to the wiki), so the slug is on so long as its power supply is plugged it (and plugging it in starts the boot process).
        >
        > Helpful suggestions welcomed.

        Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
        Ingo Flaschberger

        Geschaeftsleitung
        ____________________________________
        crossip communications gmbh
        A-1020 Wien, Wohlmutstrasse 27

        Sitz der Gesellschaft: 1020 Wien, Oesterreich
        Firmenbuchgericht: Handelsgericht Wien, FN 269698 s,
        Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer (UID): ATU62080367

        Haftungsausschluss / Disclaimer<http://www.xip.at/content/view/278/>
      • clerew5
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "clerew5" <clerew5@...> wrote:

          Replying to my own message:

          > Now the doco for the PCF8575 quite definitely states that upon power-on (specifically before the power supply has risen to 1.2V) the chip resets itself so that all the outputs are High (i.e. +ve, provided you provide a suitable pullup-resistor). And I have arranged one of those outputs so that when it is high it inhibits all those relays, so no boilers come on until the system has booted and the control program has started. The doco says clearly that after reseting these outputs to high they remain in that state until the i2c bus dictates otherwise.
          >
          > Nevertheless, the relays are coming on as soon as power is plugged in, before the slug even begins its boot process. So what is happening? I cannot see how the i2c bus stuff in Slogos can have awoken that early and, in any case, it does not even know the bus address of these devices. So can it be the manner in which the power comes on? Note that I have bypassed the 'on' button (again according to the wiki), so the slug is on so long as its power supply is plugged it (and plugging it in starts the boot process).

          Nothing like composing a long message to this list to make you work out the problem for yourself :-( .

          Actually, the PCF8575 was working as advertised, but the pull-up resistor was not man enough to silence the relays (though it actually did reduce the voltage applied to them). A smaller resistor should fix it.