Re: [nslu2-linux] Looking for replacement AC adaptor

  • Ralph Finch
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2012
      Or...get a brand x power supply with the same output voltage and max current. If the plug is not the same, no problem, cut the wires of the replacement and defunct PSU, and wire the old plug to the new PSU. Solder, crimps, whatever, separate with heat shrink tubing (best) or electrical tape, etc.

      On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM, dystopianrebel <dystopianrebel@...> wrote:

      The AC adaptor for one of my Slugs has failed. By swapping adaptors, I know that the Slug itself is still good.

      If you have a spare that you will not be using or want to sell, please contact me.

    • Jimmy C. Chau
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2012
        Just to clarify, you don't need to match the max current; the max
        current of the power supply just needs to be at least as large (as the
        max current of the NSLU2 or the original power supply).

        When replacing power supplies, check that:
        - the plug matches,
        - the polarity matches (whether the center is + or -, this is usually
        indicated in symbol form),
        - the output voltage is identical,
        - the output current rating of the power supply is larger than the
        current rating of the load (in this case, the NSLU2),
        - and that the power supply is compatible with your wall power (if
        you're buying the power supply domestically, this last point is
        probably true).

        Best regards,
        -Jimmy

        On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:20:28 -0700
        Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:

        > Or...get a brand x power supply with the same output voltage and max
        > current. If the plug is not the same, no problem, cut the wires of the
        > replacement and defunct PSU, and wire the old plug to the new PSU.
        > Solder, crimps, whatever, separate with heat shrink tubing (best) or
        > electrical tape, etc.
        >
        > On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM, dystopianrebel
        > <dystopianrebel@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > The AC adaptor for one of my Slugs has failed. By swapping
        > > adaptors, I know that the Slug itself is still good.
        > >
        > > If you have a spare that you will not be using or want to sell,
        > > please contact me.

      • Ettore
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2012
          Mind that some power supplies have a max current and a minimal current.

          If the max current is significantly larger that the one of the official power supply (which now I don't recall) you have more chances that the NSLU2 without or even with load (HD)
          won't draw enough power to keep the replacement power supply active.

          It happened to me: I had to disable the low-power mode of my USB HD (as I was too lazy to solder a resistor on the supply cable).

          Ettore

          If the nominal max current is much larger than the one actually