Re: [nslu2-linux] Looking for replacement AC adaptor

  • Ed Watson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2012
      I had the same problem.

      I found that a USB hub can power it fine. So I bought a cheap one of those.
      I think I made sure it was over 1.0A.

      What I did in the end was used the same adapter 3.0A  USB hub power supply to power the USB hub connected and the slug
      (Wired up in parallel) works great.

      Hope this helps.

      Ed

      On 28 March 2012 13:09, dystopianrebel <dystopianrebel@...> wrote:

      The AC adaptor for one of my Slugs has failed. By swapping adaptors, I know that the Slug itself is still good.

      If you have a spare that you will not be using or want to sell, please contact me.

    • mstombs
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2012
        I had this problem and managed to repair the PSU, required surgical dissection and replacement of 2 100uF electrolytic capacitors - just hope the glued/taped case doesn't start a fir and burn the house down... You can buy new replacements cheaply on fleabay I'm sure...

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ed Watson <edmundwatson@...> wrote:

        > I had the same problem.
        >
        > I found that a USB hub can power it fine. So I bought a cheap one of those.
        > I think I made sure it was over 1.0A.
        >
        > What I did in the end was used the same adapter 3.0A USB hub power supply
        > to power the USB hub connected and the slug
        > (Wired up in parallel) works great.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Ed
        >

        > On 28 March 2012 13:09, dystopianrebel <dystopianrebel@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > The AC adaptor for one of my Slugs has failed. By swapping adaptors, I
        > > know that the Slug itself is still good.
        > >
        > > If you have a spare that you will not be using or want to sell, please
        > > contact me.

      • Ralph Finch
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2012
          Or...get a brand x power supply with the same output voltage and max current. If the plug is not the same, no problem, cut the wires of the replacement and defunct PSU, and wire the old plug to the new PSU. Solder, crimps, whatever, separate with heat shrink tubing (best) or electrical tape, etc.

          On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM, dystopianrebel <dystopianrebel@...> wrote:

          The AC adaptor for one of my Slugs has failed. By swapping adaptors, I know that the Slug itself is still good.

          If you have a spare that you will not be using or want to sell, please contact me.

        • Jimmy C. Chau
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2012
            Just to clarify, you don't need to match the max current; the max
            current of the power supply just needs to be at least as large (as the
            max current of the NSLU2 or the original power supply).

            When replacing power supplies, check that:
            - the plug matches,
            - the polarity matches (whether the center is + or -, this is usually
            indicated in symbol form),
            - the output voltage is identical,
            - the output current rating of the power supply is larger than the
            current rating of the load (in this case, the NSLU2),
            - and that the power supply is compatible with your wall power (if
            you're buying the power supply domestically, this last point is
            probably true).

            Best regards,
            -Jimmy

            On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:20:28 -0700
            Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:

            > Or...get a brand x power supply with the same output voltage and max
            > current. If the plug is not the same, no problem, cut the wires of the
            > replacement and defunct PSU, and wire the old plug to the new PSU.
            > Solder, crimps, whatever, separate with heat shrink tubing (best) or
            > electrical tape, etc.
            >
            > On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM, dystopianrebel
            > <dystopianrebel@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > The AC adaptor for one of my Slugs has failed. By swapping
            > > adaptors, I know that the Slug itself is still good.
            > >
            > > If you have a spare that you will not be using or want to sell,
            > > please contact me.

          • Ettore
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 15, 2012
              Mind that some power supplies have a max current and a minimal current.

              If the max current is significantly larger that the one of the official power supply (which now I don't recall) you have more chances that the NSLU2 without or even with load (HD)
              won't draw enough power to keep the replacement power supply active.

              It happened to me: I had to disable the low-power mode of my USB HD (as I was too lazy to solder a resistor on the supply cable).

              Ettore

              If the nominal max current is much larger than the one actually