Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: FTP

  • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
      > Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh
      >
      > http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
      >
      > Jim

      I know that is the one used with the WRT54G sveasoft firmware...but I tried
      looking for documentation for that sshd, so I could add user/id and port
      forwarding to my WRT54G (similar to the cygwin ssh client)...but I was
      unable to find more than the most rudimentary of documentation on dropbear.

      Did I just miss it, or does someone else know where I can find more info on
      the subject?

      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      Powerpro Yahoogroup - Come, talk and learn. http://tinyurl.com/2sf7d
      Funstuff: Yoda of Borg are we. Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we
      will.
    • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
        > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
        > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
        > for the nslu2.

        Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp capabilities? Sounds
        like something nice.... =)

        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
        So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
        Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
      • joule360
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
          Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
          outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed. Speaking
          of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
          the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
          your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
          someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
          effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
          root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
          is or will be soon enough).

          Presumably none of the web access files and utilities have a password
          hard coded into them that will get broken if you change these default
          passwords; I haven't had a chance to scan all of them to see what
          might break, and some of the .cgi scripts are binary so that's a bit
          more difficult. Of course, you can use the web access to change the
          admin password, but not root or mytelnetrescueuser.

          Just a word of warning on security.

          nl

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, WRT54G.yg@d... wrote:
          > > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what
          about
          > > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
          > > for the nslu2.
          >
          > Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp
          capabilities? Sounds
          > like something nice.... =)
          >
          > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
          > So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
          > Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
        • Eugene
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "joule360" <joule360@y...> wrote:
            > btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
            > the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
            > your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
            > someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
            > effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
            > root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
            > is or will be soon enough).

            It won't be a problem unless TelNet is on, and if someone has turned
            it on I'm sure they'll reset the passwords first thing.
          • Brian
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
              --- On Mon 08/09, joule360 < joule360@... > wrote:

              > Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
              > outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed.
              > Speaking
              > of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped
              > with the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc,
              > putting your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security
              > hole once someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not
              > extending any effort in that direction having easily created my
              > own account with root access separate from the linksys accounts,
              > but I assume SOMEONE is or will be soon enough).

              > Just a word of warning on security.

              Good point!

              As it is, there is a SIMPLE way to replace the root password, that is, mounting the drive on another machine, and changing it to something (like the one for the 'admin' user), telnetting in, and changing it using 'passwd'.

              As for mounting it, using a 'live' Linux disk/CD, you can easily mount it, even on a dedicated Windows computer. I used my XP laptop, as it was just easier to do it on there.

              Brian

              No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
            • phew_uk2001
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido" <rsuplido@y...>
                wrote:
                > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                >
                > Thanks.

                With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                (unslung 1.7).

                I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                phew.
              • joule360
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                  linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences between
                  various ftp daemons.

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...> wrote:
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                  <rsuplido@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.
                  >
                  > With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                  > forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                  > (unslung 1.7).
                  >
                  > I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                  > that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                  >
                  > ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                  >
                  > phew.
                • Dave Bixler
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                    If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.

                    wrote:

                    Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

                    Thanks.

                    With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                    forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                    (unslung 1.7).

                    I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                    that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                    ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                    phew.

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • joule360
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                      Yes, now that you mention it, I think that's where I got it.

                      nl

                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bixler <dbixler@w...> wrote:
                      > If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.
                      >
                      > joule360 wrote:
                      >
                      > >Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                      > >linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences
                      between
                      > >various ftp daemons.
                      > >
                      > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...>
                      wrote:

                      > >>--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                      > >>

                      > ><rsuplido@y...>

                      > >>With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                      > >>forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                      > >>(unslung 1.7).
                      > >>
                      > >>I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but
                      assume
                      > >>that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                      > >>
                      > >>..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                      > >>
                      > >>phew.
                      > >>

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • phew_uk2001
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                        The 'thanks' was for me being able to compile at all!

                        This seemed as good a thread to close as any.

                        I was unaware of any ftpd in the original; could this maybe have been
                        mentioned earlier (maybe i missed it)..and the thread closed out then?