Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Minidlna (or other DLNA server) on the Slug

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 25, 2012
      Yes, that's great - thanks!

      On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Walter <contact@...> wrote:

      Ah right, here is what I could find:

      Video bitrate: 1445kbps
      Audio bitrate: 224kbps
      Video codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC
      Audio codec: AC3

      Does that help?

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

      > And the CODEC/file format?
      >
      > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Walter <contact@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > Well.... What I didn't mention is that I was on my home wifi when
      > > streaming to my phone :). Pretty standard router, so probably a maximum of
      > > 54 mbps.
      > >

      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm curious about this setup - I assume the Slug is merely acting as a
      > > sort
      > > > of streamcast, and that no transcoding is going on (given the Slug's
      > > meager
      > > > memory and processing power - particularly the lack of a FPU).
      > > >
      > > > If this assumption is correct, what is the encoder/file format of the
      > > > source material you are streaming out to your phone? Also, what kind of
      > > > upstream bandwidth is necessary to make a solution like this work? I
      > > > assume you need a pretty big pipe coming out of your house/wherever the
      > > > Slug lives. (I barely have enough pipe to stream MP3s out of my home
      > > > without stuttering, and those have to be orders of magnitude less Mbps.)
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the clarification.

      > > in
      > > from

      > > without
      > > server
      > > thanks

      > > miniDLNA
      > > limiting
      > > runs
      > > files; I

      > > and I

      > > (1080p)
      > > running
      > > locations,
      > > even
      > > registered

      > > Sony

      > > be a

      > > http://andrewpeng.net/posts/2010/03/04522-installing-minidlna-on-ubuntu-powerpc.html

      > > configuration

      > > files.
      > > rebuild,
      > > figure
      > > of

      > > general
      > > from
      > > if
      > > be

      > > want
      > > appreciated.

    • Adam Baker
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 20 2:08 PM
        Walter <contact@...> writes:

        > Well, can't hurt to try I guess. Since Minidlna isn't working for my Samsung
        TV. Is there a specific guide you used?

        I was running fuppes on a slug for years however I found that for my quite large
        mp3 collection it struggles for memory. I'm now running it on an Iomega iConnect
        which works somewhat better. It isn't that well set up to run as a background
        process but I've hacked together an init script that I use to run it. I haven't
        modified the setup in years so I am running svn version 675 built with

        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc

        #!/bin/sh

        ### BEGIN INIT INFO
        # Provides: fuppes
        # Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $time avahi
        # Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $time
        # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
        # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
        # Short-Description: Multithreaded DAAP music server
        # most people will understand to be an iTunes share
        # server. It uses the DAAP protocol, as iTunes does,
        # and supports streaming MP3 and AAC natively. It can
        # make use of a number of conversion methods to expose
        # Ogg and FLAC files too.
        ### END INIT INFO

        PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
        DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/fuppes
        NAME=fuppes
        DESC=fuppes

        test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

        # Include fuppes defaults if available
        if [ -f /etc/default/fuppes ] ; then
        . /etc/default/fuppes
        fi

        set -e

        stopd() {
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
        --exec $DAEMON --signal 9 --oknodo
        echo "$NAME."
        counter=0
        seen=0
        while pidof fuppes >/dev/null && [ $counter -lt 15 ]; do
        if [ $seen -eq 0 ]; then
        echo -n "Waiting for fuppes to terminate..."
        seen=1
        fi

        counter=$(($counter + 1))
        echo -n "."
        sleep 1
        done
        echo "OK, all clear."
        }

        startd() {
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
        export HOME=/etc
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet -m --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
        --oknodo --chuid nobody --background --exec $DAEMON --
        $DAEMON_OPTS 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
        echo "$NAME."
        }

        case "$1" in
        start)
        startd
        ;;
        stop)
        stopd
        ;;
        restart|force-reload)
        stopd
        startd
        ;;
        *)
        N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
        echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
        esac

        exit 0