Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: verifying swap NSLU2 and SlugOSBE 5.3

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
      aswolff1971 wrote:
      > Just adding some more details to my initial post:
      >
      > The disk I am trying to partition/format is a 2GB USB Pen Drive.
      > sda1 /
      > sda2 <--swap
      > sda3 home
      >
      > Does SLUGOSBE support swap on thumbdrive/memory stick?

      Yes, it certainly does.

      You probably should follow the setup guide for SlugOS; the link you
      posted in your original email is quite dated (so old that it refers to
      "OpenSlug" still!):
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem

      Among other steps, this wiki article shows you how to create a swapfile
      (which avoids the hassle of partitioning a thumb drive in the first place).

      -Mike

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "aswolff1971" <aleksei_wolff@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hello.
      >>
      >> I just installed SlugOS on my NSLU2. I (think I) followed the procedure in the document http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InitialisingDisks
      >>
      >> But when running 'top' or 'df -h' or 'mount' no entries show up with sda2 or swap.
      >>
      >> I tried running 'swapon -s' but I got an error saying 'invalid argument'. I do remember getting an error when I ran the command 'swapon /dev/sda2' something about "busybox: /dev/sda2/ already configured or not available"
      >>
      >> Questions:
      >>
      >> 1. Any other commands I can use to verify swap partition is working?
      >> 2. What steps should I redo? Do I need to go back to fdisk and delete /dev/sda(1-3) and start from scratch?
      >> 3. I already moved my root file system from flash to sda1 will my slug reboot without issue if I remove my USB pen drive?
      >>
      >> TIA-
      >>
      >> Alex-

    • aswolff1971
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
        Thank your for the link. I followed the procedure in that document and did not get any errors (in fact 99% of the screenshots matched).

        But after running the following 4 commands and running a 'reboot' the system hung with all 4 led lights on (amber, green, green, green) any suggestions?

        dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=32
        mkswap /swapfile
        cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup
        echo '/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0' >>/etc/fstab
        swapon -a
        free
        reboot