verifying swap NSLU2 and SlugOSBE 5.3

  • aswolff1971
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
      Hello.

      I just installed SlugOS on my NSLU2. I (think I) followed the procedure in the document http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InitialisingDisks

      But when running 'top' or 'df -h' or 'mount' no entries show up with sda2 or swap.

      I tried running 'swapon -s' but I got an error saying 'invalid argument'. I do remember getting an error when I ran the command 'swapon /dev/sda2' something about "busybox: /dev/sda2/ already configured or not available"

      Questions:

      1. Any other commands I can use to verify swap partition is working?
      2. What steps should I redo? Do I need to go back to fdisk and delete /dev/sda(1-3) and start from scratch?
      3. I already moved my root file system from flash to sda1 will my slug reboot without issue if I remove my USB pen drive?

      TIA-

      Alex-
    • aswolff1971
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
        Just adding some more details to my initial post:

        The disk I am trying to partition/format is a 2GB USB Pen Drive.
        sda1 /
        sda2 <--swap
        sda3 home

        Does SLUGOSBE support swap on thumbdrive/memory stick?

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "aswolff1971" <aleksei_wolff@...> wrote:

        > Hello.
        >
        > I just installed SlugOS on my NSLU2. I (think I) followed the procedure in the document http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InitialisingDisks
        >
        > But when running 'top' or 'df -h' or 'mount' no entries show up with sda2 or swap.
        >
        > I tried running 'swapon -s' but I got an error saying 'invalid argument'. I do remember getting an error when I ran the command 'swapon /dev/sda2' something about "busybox: /dev/sda2/ already configured or not available"
        >
        > Questions:
        >
        > 1. Any other commands I can use to verify swap partition is working?
        > 2. What steps should I redo? Do I need to go back to fdisk and delete /dev/sda(1-3) and start from scratch?
        > 3. I already moved my root file system from flash to sda1 will my slug reboot without issue if I remove my USB pen drive?
        >
        > TIA-
        >
        > Alex-

      • Mike Westerhof
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
          aswolff1971 wrote:
          > Just adding some more details to my initial post:
          >
          > The disk I am trying to partition/format is a 2GB USB Pen Drive.
          > sda1 /
          > sda2 <--swap
          > sda3 home
          >
          > Does SLUGOSBE support swap on thumbdrive/memory stick?

          Yes, it certainly does.

          You probably should follow the setup guide for SlugOS; the link you
          posted in your original email is quite dated (so old that it refers to
          "OpenSlug" still!):
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem

          Among other steps, this wiki article shows you how to create a swapfile
          (which avoids the hassle of partitioning a thumb drive in the first place).

          -Mike

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "aswolff1971" <aleksei_wolff@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hello.
          >>
          >> I just installed SlugOS on my NSLU2. I (think I) followed the procedure in the document http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InitialisingDisks
          >>
          >> But when running 'top' or 'df -h' or 'mount' no entries show up with sda2 or swap.
          >>
          >> I tried running 'swapon -s' but I got an error saying 'invalid argument'. I do remember getting an error when I ran the command 'swapon /dev/sda2' something about "busybox: /dev/sda2/ already configured or not available"
          >>
          >> Questions:
          >>
          >> 1. Any other commands I can use to verify swap partition is working?
          >> 2. What steps should I redo? Do I need to go back to fdisk and delete /dev/sda(1-3) and start from scratch?
          >> 3. I already moved my root file system from flash to sda1 will my slug reboot without issue if I remove my USB pen drive?
          >>
          >> TIA-
          >>
          >> Alex-

        • aswolff1971
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
            Thank your for the link. I followed the procedure in that document and did not get any errors (in fact 99% of the screenshots matched).

            But after running the following 4 commands and running a 'reboot' the system hung with all 4 led lights on (amber, green, green, green) any suggestions?

            dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=32
            mkswap /swapfile
            cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup
            echo '/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0' >>/etc/fstab
            swapon -a
            free
            reboot