Problem with spaces. Optware doesn't recognize " "

  • Ryan Fortress
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2011
      I am running Optware on a WDTV Live Plus. Everything is working great except for spaces.

      When I try to make a folder like, mkdir New\ Downloads, or mkdir "New Downloads" I get 2 folders, "New" and "Downloads".

      Also, when I try to move a folder with spaces I get the following error:

      1. # mv "Whos Been Sleeping In My House S01E04" /tmp/media/usb/New_Downloads/pending/
      2. /bin/mv: cannot stat `Whos': No such file or directory
      3. /bin/mv: cannot stat `Been': No such file or directory
      4. /bin/mv: cannot stat `Sleeping': No such file or directory
      5. /bin/mv: cannot stat `In': No such file or directory
      6. /bin/mv: cannot stat `My': No such file or directory
      7. /bin/mv: cannot stat `House': No such file or directory
      8. /bin/mv: cannot stat `S01E04': No such file or directory
      Is this a problem with bash? How can I fix it?
    • pmooney22
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2011
        This is normal behaviour for bash.

        Possibly use wildcards, e.g. instead of

        mv Whos Been Sleeping In My House S01E04 /tmp/media/usb/New_Downloads/pending/

        maybe try mv Who*S01E04 /tmp/media/usb/New_Downloads/pending/

        or rename the file replacing the spaces with underscores (as in New_Downloads)