Re: [nslu2-linux] build bugs

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:43:57 -0000, tlhackque <pzmpvs69753@...> wrote:
      > lsof: make/lsof.mk uses strip, should use $(STRIP) to get the cross-
      > tools

      Fixed.

      > firmware: building unslung, die at sudo install -m 755 slingbox
      > with install: cannot stat 'slingbox' - no such file or directory

      Also fixed. Thanks for the bug reports. You can also use SlugBug
      (slugbug.nslu2-linux.org) for bug reports - that way they are tracked
      to closure ... in fact we'd prefer that people did use SlugBug for any
      bug reports.

      Note that the firmware you are building in the CVS repository is the
      deprecated 1.x firmware, and is no longer supported (i.e. you're free
      to use that repository to add things to 1.x if you like, but the core
      development team has moved on to Unslung 3.x development now, and
      doesn't have the time to support Unslung 1.x any more).

      Unslung 2.x and 3.x are built from the BitKeeper repository at
      nslu2-linux.bkbits.net - see the wiki page at:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded/GettingStarted

      for details on how to compile the latest Unslung firmware.

      Note that Unslung packages are still developed and built in the CVS repository.

      This will not change in the forseeable future, as no-one has seriously
      taken up the challenge of getting OE packages to work with Unslung.

      -- Rod
    • tlhackque
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        Thanks! I'll use slugbug in the future.

        I am new to this group; it is a bit difficult to figure out what is
        current and what is obsolete information. I knew that I needed the
        CVS library to build packages -- there's something I'm interested in
        trying to build. It wasn't clear if I needed to build the V1
        firmware first as well. Anyhow, it was worth getting everything
        working.

        You might consider organizing the howtos into "current"
        & "historical", or by FW release. Well, I'll only be new once.

        I'll try to build the V2 environment and firmware next.

        I appreciate the quick support, and all the work that's been done to
        make it possible to extend this platform.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
          On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:09:01 -0000, tlhackque <pzmpvs69753@...> wrote:
          > I am new to this group; it is a bit difficult to figure out what is
          > current and what is obsolete information. I knew that I needed the
          > CVS library to build packages -- there's something I'm interested in
          > trying to build. It wasn't clear if I needed to build the V1
          > firmware first as well. Anyhow, it was worth getting everything
          > working.
          >
          > You might consider organizing the howtos into "current"
          > & "historical", or by FW release. Well, I'll only be new once.

          Yep, we're always looking for volunteers to help keep the Wiki up to
          date. We find that the best people to do that are people who have
          just been through it as a user ;-)

          > I'll try to build the V2 environment and firmware next.

          Note that you don't need to build the V2 enviroment and firmware if
          you just want to develop and contribute packages. The packages built
          in the CVS (and you don't need to build the firmware in there either
          to build the packages) will work with all versions of Unslung
          (including 3.x).

          If you do want to contribute to firmware development, then please
          join us on the IRC channel ... (if you are a genuine developer, and
          don't have IRC access but do have web access, then send me a personal
          email and we can get you hooked up on one of our private web->irc
          gateways).

          > I appreciate the quick support, and all the work that's been done to
          > make it possible to extend this platform.

          You're welcome - the best way to thank us is to help keep the wiki up
          to date if you see something that is clearly out of date or just plain
          wrong.

          Other ways of getting involved are outlined here:

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HowToGetInvolved