build bugs

  • tlhackque
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      lsof: make/lsof.mk uses strip, should use $(STRIP) to get the cross-
      tools

      firmware: building unslung, die at sudo install -m 755 slingbox
      with install: cannot stat 'slingbox' - no such file or directory

      No time to look at this now, so if someone's been here before...

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:43:57 -0000, tlhackque <pzmpvs69753@...> wrote:
        > lsof: make/lsof.mk uses strip, should use $(STRIP) to get the cross-
        > tools

        Fixed.

        > firmware: building unslung, die at sudo install -m 755 slingbox
        > with install: cannot stat 'slingbox' - no such file or directory

        Also fixed. Thanks for the bug reports. You can also use SlugBug
        (slugbug.nslu2-linux.org) for bug reports - that way they are tracked
        to closure ... in fact we'd prefer that people did use SlugBug for any
        bug reports.

        Note that the firmware you are building in the CVS repository is the
        deprecated 1.x firmware, and is no longer supported (i.e. you're free
        to use that repository to add things to 1.x if you like, but the core
        development team has moved on to Unslung 3.x development now, and
        doesn't have the time to support Unslung 1.x any more).

        Unslung 2.x and 3.x are built from the BitKeeper repository at
        nslu2-linux.bkbits.net - see the wiki page at:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded/GettingStarted

        for details on how to compile the latest Unslung firmware.

        Note that Unslung packages are still developed and built in the CVS repository.

        This will not change in the forseeable future, as no-one has seriously
        taken up the challenge of getting OE packages to work with Unslung.

        -- Rod
      • tlhackque
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
          Thanks! I'll use slugbug in the future.

          I am new to this group; it is a bit difficult to figure out what is
          current and what is obsolete information. I knew that I needed the
          CVS library to build packages -- there's something I'm interested in
          trying to build. It wasn't clear if I needed to build the V1
          firmware first as well. Anyhow, it was worth getting everything
          working.

          You might consider organizing the howtos into "current"
          & "historical", or by FW release. Well, I'll only be new once.

          I'll try to build the V2 environment and firmware next.

          I appreciate the quick support, and all the work that's been done to
          make it possible to extend this platform.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
            On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:09:01 -0000, tlhackque <pzmpvs69753@...> wrote:
            > I am new to this group; it is a bit difficult to figure out what is
            > current and what is obsolete information. I knew that I needed the
            > CVS library to build packages -- there's something I'm interested in
            > trying to build. It wasn't clear if I needed to build the V1
            > firmware first as well. Anyhow, it was worth getting everything
            > working.
            >
            > You might consider organizing the howtos into "current"
            > & "historical", or by FW release. Well, I'll only be new once.

            Yep, we're always looking for volunteers to help keep the Wiki up to
            date. We find that the best people to do that are people who have
            just been through it as a user ;-)

            > I'll try to build the V2 environment and firmware next.

            Note that you don't need to build the V2 enviroment and firmware if
            you just want to develop and contribute packages. The packages built
            in the CVS (and you don't need to build the firmware in there either
            to build the packages) will work with all versions of Unslung
            (including 3.x).

            If you do want to contribute to firmware development, then please
            join us on the IRC channel ... (if you are a genuine developer, and
            don't have IRC access but do have web access, then send me a personal
            email and we can get you hooked up on one of our private web->irc
            gateways).

            > I appreciate the quick support, and all the work that's been done to
            > make it possible to extend this platform.

            You're welcome - the best way to thank us is to help keep the wiki up
            to date if you see something that is clearly out of date or just plain
            wrong.

            Other ways of getting involved are outlined here:

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HowToGetInvolved