Question/problem

  • Donald Jacob
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2011
      I was attempting to compile and install a program, it uses gcc
      I put the source in a subdirectory of /tmp.
      Well I had some errors being generated by the compiler, possibly
      because the ARM processor.
      The real problem is I did and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.
      Ok so far, it told me that all was up to date.
      I then rebooted and lost everything. the /tmp directory
      was empty after reboot.
      So I guess the question I have is should just rebooting discard
      all information in the /tmp directory?
      Additional question, is there an architecture switch for the ARM processor
      that needs to be set in gcc?

      Thanks for any light you might be able to shine on my problems.

      Don
    • stripwax
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2011
        There are two questions here.
        1. No, it is perfectly normal for files in /tmp to be deleted automatically, since /tmp is the 'temp' folder, and non-persistence is pretty much standard across all flavours of linux. However you didn't actually say what flavour of linux you are using. I'm guessing Debian? Generally, user files should be kept in /home or /usr/src
        2. If you could post details of the application and/or the compilations errors, maybe someone could help you with your compilation question too.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Donald Jacob <wb5eku@...> wrote:

        > I was attempting to compile and install a program, it uses gcc
        > I put the source in a subdirectory of /tmp.
        > Well I had some errors being generated by the compiler, possibly
        > because the ARM processor.
        > The real problem is I did and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.
        > Ok so far, it told me that all was up to date.
        > I then rebooted and lost everything. the /tmp directory
        > was empty after reboot.
        > So I guess the question I have is should just rebooting discard
        > all information in the /tmp directory?
        > Additional question, is there an architecture switch for the ARM processor
        > that needs to be set in gcc?
        >
        > Thanks for any light you might be able to shine on my problems.
        >
        > Don

      • jll370
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2011
          If you want temporary files to be preserved between reboots, use /var/tmp instead of /tmp.

          (See  the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard for more information on Linux directories and their typical usage.  Note, however, that your distribution may vary.)