Wuala?

  • zvsmedia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14 1:22 AM
      I have a slug that I used to use with Unslung some time ago until I upgraded my network to Gigabit. It's been gathering a bit of dust since, waiting for a good use.

      I'd like to use it with Wuala (semi-Dropbox-like online backup that lets you trade local disk space for space on their servers [up to 100gb/machine and you can have multiple machines]; for more info drop me a line and I can send you a referral). I have Wuala running on a full-featured Ubuntu box, but this seems like a perfect use for the slug.

      Has anyone tried this before? If so, any feedback on the best firmware to use? Better yet, is there a walk-through available?

      If not, I'll give it a shot anyway. They have .deb and .rpm versions. They also require java. Again, any suggestions on the best firmware to try this with?

      Also, given the suggestion for firmware, any suggestions for a USB WiFi adapter (preferably 802.11n) that would work with this project would be most helpful.

      Thanks!
    • M.J. Johnson

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14 5:49 AM
          M.J. Johnson wrote:
          [...]
          > As a cautionary note, when I previously asked this list about Java on
          > NSLU, I was informed that Java 5 was a "dead end", and that although it
          > may be possible to get OpenJDK running on Debian Slug, performance may
          > be a significant issue. FWIW...

          I run OpenJDK 6 on a SheevaPlug using the Cacao VM, with excellent
          results --- it's over twice as fast as the default (which seems to be Zero).

          I have some benchmarks here:

          https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiWQADzU1i2wdHZGWDBqX054eEo4eDliV0p0Zy1KY3c&hl=en_GB&authkey=CKDJ9o0F

          If it works well on a SheevaPlug it's probably also good for the NSLU2.
          Although bear in mind that the SheevaPlug has 16 times as much RAM, and
          that Java is memory-heavy, so YMMV.

          │ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
          │ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
          │ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup
        • M.J. Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14 6:01 AM
               The SheevaPlug also runs at a 1.2 Ghz ARM-compatible processor, an order of magnitude vaster than the NSLU's 133 Mhz OOTB or 266 Mhz modded processor... so your money should, indeed, vary.

            [...]

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 14 5:37 PM
              > The SheevaPlug also runs at a 1.2 Ghz ARM-compatible processor, an order
              > of magnitude vaster than the NSLU's 133 Mhz OOTB or 266 Mhz modded
              > processor... so your money should, indeed, vary.

              Sounds like Java is a deal-killer then?

              Thanks for the replies.

              Any suggestions for an 802.11n WiFi adapter? I'd still like to see whether that would be workable for my needs.

              Cheers!