Re: [nslu2-linux] Which Firmware

  • DaylanDarby
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
      Linux slug44 2.6.26-2-ixp4xx #1 Thu May 13 12:25:57 UTC 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux ---- for my (remotely controlled) music player
      Linux slug43 2.6.26-2-ixp4xx #1 Wed Mar 10 01:13:28 UTC 2010 armv5tel ---- for my print server (network to USB)
      Linux OpenWrt 2.6.26.8 #7 Fri Apr 23 19:44:31 MDT 2010 armv5teb unknown ---- for my iolan (serial ports to sheeva plugs)

      On 06/07/2011 04:15 AM, Mahesh Ghule wrote: Hello Gurus,

      I have a simple bordering on to daft question.

      Which is the best firmware I should use for my Linksys NSLU2?

      I have been using SlugOS 5.3 Beta on my slug for last two years. My main usage of it was
      1. Media Server(MediaTomb)
      2. Torrent Client(Transmission)
      3. Home network FileServer(Samba)
      4. Gateway to my home network via ssh.

      I was happy with what I had. It was my stupidity(let's not go there) that I have to rebuild it. I have two external drive 640GB and 500GB both Seagate.

      Now as I am about to rebuild it I wish to know should I use same SlugOSBE or try something new. I also want to use my Slug to monitor my room with WebCam but that is not a must.

      Please advice.

      Regards,
      Mahesh
    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 21, 2011
        Hello Mike,
        I was going to try building the latest SlugOS binaries but couldn't find the source code you mentioned. All I could find were 5.3 or earlier.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

        > Well, it seems as if there are no gurus on the list to answer... :-)
        >
        > So, I'll offer my opinion: stick with SlugOS 5.3
        >
        > If you are adventurous, and don't mind building your own image, you can
        > also try the latest versions from source code (which are either labeled
        > 5.9-alpha, or 6.0-alpha, not sure if I actually did the name update yet).
        >
        > -Mike (mwester)
        >

        > On 6/7/2011 5:15 AM, Mahesh Ghule wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello Gurus,
        > >
        > > I have a simple bordering on to daft question.
        > >
        > > Which is the best firmware I should use for my Linksys NSLU2?
        > >
        > > I have been using SlugOS 5.3 Beta on my slug for last two years. My main
        > > usage of it was
        > > 1. Media Server(MediaTomb)
        > > 2. Torrent Client(Transmission)
        > > 3. Home network FileServer(Samba)
        > > 4. Gateway to my home network via ssh.
        > >
        > > I was happy with what I had. It was my stupidity(let's not go
        > > there) that I have to rebuild it. I have two external drive 640GB and
        > > 500GB both Seagate.
        > >
        > > Now as I am about to rebuild it I wish to know should I use same
        > > SlugOSBE or try something new. I also want to use my Slug to monitor my
        > > room with WebCam but that is not a must.
        > >
        > > Please advice.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Mahesh

      • Andreas Reitz
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011

          since there's a 32bit Version of HipHop (Facebooks PHP->C++ Compiler)
          available, i would like to know if someone tried to compile it on the
          slug (or another arm device like dockstar,...). I'm playing a lot with
          php and it seems like a good possibility to reduce system load.

          Greets
        • comdiftelecom
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Andreas Reitz <andyr@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > since there's a 32bit Version of HipHop (Facebooks PHP->C++ Compiler)
            > available, i would like to know if someone tried to compile it on the
            > slug (or another arm device like dockstar,...). I'm playing a lot with
            > php and it seems like a good possibility to reduce system load.
            >
            > Greets

            Hi Andreas,

            Have you got any informations?
            I would like to install it on Broadcom MIPS