Which Firmware

  • Mahesh Ghule
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hello Gurus,

      I have a simple bordering on to daft question.

      Which is the best firmware I should use for my Linksys NSLU2?

      I have been using SlugOS 5.3 Beta on my slug for last two years. My main usage of it was
      1. Media Server(MediaTomb)
      2. Torrent Client(Transmission)
      3. Home network FileServer(Samba)
      4. Gateway to my home network via ssh.

      I was happy with what I had. It was my stupidity(let's not go there) that I have to rebuild it. I have two external drive 640GB and 500GB both Seagate.

      Now as I am about to rebuild it I wish to know should I use same SlugOSBE or try something new. I also want to use my Slug to monitor my room with WebCam but that is not a must.

      Please advice.

      Regards,
      Mahesh
    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
        Well, it seems as if there are no gurus on the list to answer... :-)

        So, I'll offer my opinion: stick with SlugOS 5.3

        If you are adventurous, and don't mind building your own image, you can
        also try the latest versions from source code (which are either labeled
        5.9-alpha, or 6.0-alpha, not sure if I actually did the name update yet).

        -Mike (mwester)

        On 6/7/2011 5:15 AM, Mahesh Ghule wrote:

        > Hello Gurus,
        >
        > I have a simple bordering on to daft question.
        >
        > Which is the best firmware I should use for my Linksys NSLU2?
        >
        > I have been using SlugOS 5.3 Beta on my slug for last two years. My main
        > usage of it was
        > 1. Media Server(MediaTomb)
        > 2. Torrent Client(Transmission)
        > 3. Home network FileServer(Samba)
        > 4. Gateway to my home network via ssh.
        >
        > I was happy with what I had. It was my stupidity(let's not go
        > there) that I have to rebuild it. I have two external drive 640GB and
        > 500GB both Seagate.
        >
        > Now as I am about to rebuild it I wish to know should I use same
        > SlugOSBE or try something new. I also want to use my Slug to monitor my
        > room with WebCam but that is not a must.
        >
        > Please advice.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mahesh

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
          If it's working for you, might as well stick with it. MWester sent out a message a while back the he is updating SlugOS, I haven't heard any updates. I am running OpenWrt Backfire on mine and doing well for my purposes. I usually check out the repositories to see if they have the packages I want before making a decision on what to install. I'm running Debian on a Dockstar for video surveillance so maybe Debian on a Slug would be good too.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mahesh Ghule <mahesh.ghule@...> wrote:

          > Hello Gurus,
          >
          > I have a simple bordering on to daft question.
          >
          > Which is the best firmware I should use for my Linksys NSLU2?
          >
          > I have been using SlugOS 5.3 Beta on my slug for last two years. My main
          > usage of it was
          > 1. Media Server(MediaTomb)
          > 2. Torrent Client(Transmission)
          > 3. Home network FileServer(Samba)
          > 4. Gateway to my home network via ssh.
          >
          > I was happy with what I had. It was my stupidity(let's not go there) that I
          > have to rebuild it. I have two external drive 640GB and 500GB both Seagate.
          >
          > Now as I am about to rebuild it I wish to know should I use same SlugOSBE or
          > try something new. I also want to use my Slug to monitor my room with WebCam
          > but that is not a must.
          >
          > Please advice.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Mahesh

        • oddballhero
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
            Sorry, did not see your reply.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

            > Well, it seems as if there are no gurus on the list to answer... :-)
            >
            > So, I'll offer my opinion: stick with SlugOS 5.3
            >
            > If you are adventurous, and don't mind building your own image, you can
            > also try the latest versions from source code (which are either labeled
            > 5.9-alpha, or 6.0-alpha, not sure if I actually did the name update yet).
            >
            > -Mike (mwester)
            >

            > On 6/7/2011 5:15 AM, Mahesh Ghule wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello Gurus,
            > >
            > > I have a simple bordering on to daft question.
            > >
            > > Which is the best firmware I should use for my Linksys NSLU2?
            > >
            > > I have been using SlugOS 5.3 Beta on my slug for last two years. My main
            > > usage of it was
            > > 1. Media Server(MediaTomb)
            > > 2. Torrent Client(Transmission)
            > > 3. Home network FileServer(Samba)
            > > 4. Gateway to my home network via ssh.
            > >
            > > I was happy with what I had. It was my stupidity(let's not go
            > > there) that I have to rebuild it. I have two external drive 640GB and
            > > 500GB both Seagate.
            > >
            > > Now as I am about to rebuild it I wish to know should I use same
            > > SlugOSBE or try something new. I also want to use my Slug to monitor my
            > > room with WebCam but that is not a must.
            > >
            > > Please advice.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Mahesh

          • DaylanDarby
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
              Linux slug44 2.6.26-2-ixp4xx #1 Thu May 13 12:25:57 UTC 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux ---- for my (remotely controlled) music player
              Linux slug43 2.6.26-2-ixp4xx #1 Wed Mar 10 01:13:28 UTC 2010 armv5tel ---- for my print server (network to USB)
              Linux OpenWrt 2.6.26.8 #7 Fri Apr 23 19:44:31 MDT 2010 armv5teb unknown ---- for my iolan (serial ports to sheeva plugs)

              On 06/07/2011 04:15 AM, Mahesh Ghule wrote: Hello Gurus,

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 21, 2011
                Hello Mike,
                I was going to try building the latest SlugOS binaries but couldn't find the source code you mentioned. All I could find were 5.3 or earlier.

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

                > Well, it seems as if there are no gurus on the list to answer... :-)
                >
                > So, I'll offer my opinion: stick with SlugOS 5.3
                >
                > If you are adventurous, and don't mind building your own image, you can
                > also try the latest versions from source code (which are either labeled
                > 5.9-alpha, or 6.0-alpha, not sure if I actually did the name update yet).
                >
                > -Mike (mwester)
                >

                > On 6/7/2011 5:15 AM, Mahesh Ghule wrote:
                > >

                > > Hello Gurus,
                > >
                > > I have a simple bordering on to daft question.
                > >
                > > Which is the best firmware I should use for my Linksys NSLU2?
                > >
                > > I have been using SlugOS 5.3 Beta on my slug for last two years. My main
                > > usage of it was
                > > 1. Media Server(MediaTomb)
                > > 2. Torrent Client(Transmission)
                > > 3. Home network FileServer(Samba)
                > > 4. Gateway to my home network via ssh.
                > >
                > > I was happy with what I had. It was my stupidity(let's not go
                > > there) that I have to rebuild it. I have two external drive 640GB and
                > > 500GB both Seagate.
                > >
                > > Now as I am about to rebuild it I wish to know should I use same
                > > SlugOSBE or try something new. I also want to use my Slug to monitor my
                > > room with WebCam but that is not a must.
                > >
                > > Please advice.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Mahesh

              • Andreas Reitz
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011

                  since there's a 32bit Version of HipHop (Facebooks PHP->C++ Compiler)
                  available, i would like to know if someone tried to compile it on the
                  slug (or another arm device like dockstar,...). I'm playing a lot with
                  php and it seems like a good possibility to reduce system load.

                  Greets
                • comdiftelecom
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Andreas Reitz <andyr@...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > since there's a 32bit Version of HipHop (Facebooks PHP->C++ Compiler)
                    > available, i would like to know if someone tried to compile it on the
                    > slug (or another arm device like dockstar,...). I'm playing a lot with
                    > php and it seems like a good possibility to reduce system load.
                    >
                    > Greets

                    Hi Andreas,

                    Have you got any informations?
                    I would like to install it on Broadcom MIPS