spindown usbdrive doesn't work (DD-WRT v24-sp2, ackfire 10.03.1 [Digest Number 2667]

  • Mai Kee Reis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2011
      Hi ZakHooi,

      does the scsi-start and scsi-stop command work, if manually executed on
      you OS?

      With my OS (SlugOS/LE 5.3) + ICY-BOX + WD10EACS, it does it's job, if
      manually executed.
      It is not invoking scsi-stop automatically, until I installed a cron
      triggered perl or bash script which is analyzing /proc/hdparm (or such)
      statistics.
      But it is still not usable because kernel never invokes scsi-start (need
      kernel patch). I don't know how to apply such kernel patch to SlugOS 5.3.
      The source for my inspiration was the NSLU wiki, but finally, I was not
      able to solve this an my own. My 4th box is a Sheeva, running Debian.
      This baby is doing the spinup / spindown perfectly from scratch! With
      the same model of ICY-BOX and WD10. So, now I'm planning to bring my
      spare NSLU2 to Debian (Martin Michlmayr's "Squeeze" adoption). If this
      runs well with spinup/down, I'll move my older NSLU2 boxes step by step
      to Debian.

      As a conclusion:
      1) you'll need to check, if the basics are running (manual invocation).
      Then you know if your hardware is supporting scsi spindown.
      2) if _yes_, you'll next need to check, if the kernel and/or some pseudo
      deamon (cron'ed perl script) is trying to do its job
      3) if _no_ and you are not able to fix the shit, think about Debian.
      Debian 5 is completely ready to run on NSLU2 from official Debian setup
      CD. Debian 6 is avail at Martin.

      Sorry for no better help, I'm also a bloody newbie since 3 years ;-)
      Mai Kee