Re: [nslu2-linux] Network disconnects

  • Michael Klose
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30 5:50 PM
      On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:14:01 +0000, "Kai Steinbach"

      <kai.steinbach@...> said:

      > This might be a stupid question, but: do you just create an
      > empty
      > file, or do you put lots of lines in, as described in [1] ?
      > Could you post you /etc/nsswitch.conf, and how you keep it in
      > that

      How does it keep in place? Well, I just created it and it has been there
      ever since... I thought too it would be deleted,
      but was very surprised to find it still there.

      contents:

      # Begin /etc/nsswitch.conf

      passwd: files
      group: files
      shadow: files

      hosts: files dns
      networks: files

      protocols: files
      services: files
      ethers: files
      rpc: files

      # End /etc/nsswitch.conf

      > How can I reproduce what kind of difference the nsswitch file
      > has to my slug?

      It probably has more to do with if the DNS server you are using has an
      entry for 127.0.0.1 or not.

      If the MP101 frequently completely loses the wireless network
      (eventhough the Netgear 802.11G router is like maybe 2 meters away)

      > Sorry, slighly OT: My Netgear MP101 seems really stupid on
      > wireless.
      > While everything is flawless on a TP cable, on wifi it seems a
      > bit
      > jerky. Every other song breaks up in the middle or so, and the
      > player
      > recovers automatically by playing the next song after some 30
      > seconds

      I see the same behaviour, but a lot less often. See below:

      > or so. Anyone seen that, too? When I go into the wireless setup
      > and
      > press the OK button on the link info / signal strength item (to
      > update
      > it in small intervals), it jumps between just over 30dB down to
      > 0 dB

      I just tried it. Mine actually jumps from 45 to 0 sometimes... I have
      pointed the Antenna a bit differently, but I suspect it is the 128bit
      WEP encryption, I what I want to try is going down to 64bit WEP
      encryption sometime. I have also noticed it happens for some albums a
      lot more than others, especially it happens for MP3s encoded in VBR
      where the bitrate can go pretty high, I am thinking maybe there's no
      time left for decryption if the bitrate is too high or something... Like
      sometimes I can play 2 hours or more and it doesn't skip, other albums
      skip more. Also, when I play an MP3 shoutcast stream, there are never
      any interruptions.

      So 64Kbit encryption is my next attempt - But currently I don't have
      that much time for home projects, I'm very busy hacking away at C++/Java
      programs for the company I work for.

      I tried adding this to the Wiki 2 weeks ago or so, but no matter what I
      did back then it wouldn't let me create anything.. I'll add this info
      eventually.