Re: [nslu2-linux] dmesg: attempt to access beyond end of device

  • nslu@pocketnix.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
      On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:20:52PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
      > That is very strange. I haven't changed anything on my system and
      > if I remember well I never had such kind of problems. My system is
      > running almost four years now.
      >
      > The mount command returns:
      >
      > # mount
      > /dev/root on /initrd
      > type jffs2 (rw)
      > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3
      > (rw)
      > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      > usbdevfs on
      > /proc/bus/usb type
      > usbdevfs (rw)
      > /dev/sda1 on
      > /share/flash/data type
      > ext3 (rw)
      > /dev/sda2 on
      > /share/flash/conf type
      > ext3 (rw,sync)
      > /dev/sdb1 on
      > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1
      > type ext3 (rw)
      >

      > So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash
      > disk I have attached on port 2.
      >
      > Do you have any idea about this? Is there any possibility to have a
      > malfunctioning flash disk?
      >
      > Thanks for your assistance.

      It is posible the flash drive is malfunctioning, i have just recently
      thrown out a bunch of usb disks that were doing odd things that were a
      number of years old. i could only recommend trying it in another PC for
      a period of time and seeing if you get the same errors. if so that
      would indicate the usb drive is faulty. otherwise i have no idea as it
      appears your mounts are in order and as you said it has been working
      for a number of years
    • vasanag
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
        On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:

        On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:20:52PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
        > That is very strange. I haven't changed anything on my system and
        > if I remember well I never had such kind of problems. My system is
        > running almost four years now.
        >
        > The mount command returns:
        >
        > # mount
        > /dev/root on /initrd
        > type jffs2 (rw)
        > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3
        > (rw)
        > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        > usbdevfs on
        > /proc/bus/usb type
        > usbdevfs (rw)
        > /dev/sda1 on
        > /share/flash/data type
        > ext3 (rw)
        > /dev/sda2 on
        > /share/flash/conf type
        > ext3 (rw,sync)
        > /dev/sdb1 on
        > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1
        > type ext3 (rw)
        >

        > So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash
        > disk I have attached on port 2.
        >
        > Do you have any idea about this? Is there any possibility to have a
        > malfunctioning flash disk?
        >
        > Thanks for your assistance.

        It is posible the flash drive is malfunctioning, i have just recently
        thrown out a bunch of usb disks that were doing odd things that were a
        number of years old. i could only recommend trying it in another PC for
        a period of time and seeing if you get the same errors. if so that
        would indicate the usb drive is faulty. otherwise i have no idea as it
        appears your mounts are in order and as you said it has been working
        for a number of years

        So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a new one?  Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?  Or, a full system installation is needed?

        tia

        vasanag

      • nslu@pocketnix.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
          On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 02:59:28PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
          > On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:
          >
          > So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a
          > new one? Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?
          > Or, a full system installation is needed?

          Definitely not saying it is damaged (just a possibility). but if it is
          cp should be fine and the way i would do it as any file that is corrupt
          should generate an error when its blocks are read. dd or gddrescue may
          also work but damaged blocks are just going to be zeroed when copy
          leaving you with damaged files, if its the root fs or a system
          critical fs starting from scratch would be best and just tar up your
          config dir

          keep in mind this isnt a nslu specific problem, you may want to try
          asking on some generic linux forums as well
        • vasanag
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2011
            On 03/05/2011 03:50 PM, nslu@... wrote:

            On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 02:59:28PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
            > On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:
            >
            > So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a
            > new one? Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?
            > Or, a full system installation is needed?

            Definitely not saying it is damaged (just a possibility). but if it is
            cp should be fine and the way i would do it as any file that is corrupt
            should generate an error when its blocks are read. dd or gddrescue may
            also work but damaged blocks are just going to be zeroed when copy
            leaving you with damaged files, if its the root fs or a system
            critical fs starting from scratch would be best and just tar up your
            config dir

            keep in mind this isnt a nslu specific problem, you may want to try
            asking on some generic linux forums as well

            After contacting some other linux forums, I made a backup of the flash disk, using ddrescue, and then I checked the filesystem, using fsck.  The fsck fixed a lot of problems and the system is working perfectly, at the moment.

            BUT, how can I be sure that everything is working correctly?  Can I trust my system after this repair?  Or, should I install everything from scratch?

            tia

          • nslu@pocketnix.org
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2011
              On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 08:55:16PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
              > After contacting some other linux forums, I made a backup of the
              > flash disk, using ddrescue, and then I checked the filesystem, using
              > fsck. The fsck fixed a lot of problems and the system is working
              > perfectly, at the moment.
              >
              > BUT, how can I be sure that everything is working correctly? Can I
              > trust my system after this repair? Or, should I install everything
              > from scratch?

              Hi

              cant give you a definate yes or no. me "best practices" would say back
              up the configs and start again just to be sure. but if its a non vital
              system you are probably fine to let it run till something breaks (eg a
              daemon not running)

              just boot it up, confirm everything working and let it run if you feel
              safe doing it

              if you had non system files (pictures/moives) on that flash disk this
              may be a good time to look at how you do backups. a 6 month old file
              an be better than no file at all