Re: [nslu2-linux] dmesg: attempt to access beyond end of device

  • nslu@pocketnix.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 07:19:04PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
      > Gurus,
      >
      > the dmesg command among the others returns the following:

      > attempt to access beyond end of device
      > 08:01: rw=1, want=4199168, limit=750913
      > attempt to access beyond end of device
      > 08:01: rw=1, want=33559452, limit=750913
      > attempt to access beyond end of device
      > 08:01: rw=1, want=536887200, limit=750913
      > attempt to access beyond end of device
      > 08:01: rw=1, want=4198548, limit=750913
      > attempt to access beyond end of device
      > 08:01: rw=1, want=4199168, limit=750913
      > attempt to access beyond end of device
      > 08:01: rw=1, want=33559452, limit=750913
      >
      > Do you have any idea about this?
      >
      > My nslu2 runs UNSLUNG 6.10 and I have attached an ext3 formatted USB disk.

      i would double check your formatting and partitions, the 08:01 indicates
      the first block device partition 1. my guess is that you have a small
      partition and a filesystem that thinks it is larger than the partition it
      is stored on

      this is most likely caused by formatting the disk then partitioning it
      with a tool like fdisk. i would recommend you try (if possible) wiping
      the disc, partitioning it and then formatting the disk again

      if i remeber my device names corectly this should be /dev/sda or
      /dev/sda1 for the first partition
    • vasanag
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
        That is very strange.  I haven't changed anything on my system and if I remember well I never had such kind of problems.  My system is running almost four years now.

        The mount command returns:

        # mount
        /dev/root on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
        /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
        proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
        /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
        /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
        /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw)

        So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash disk I have attached on port 2.

        Do you have any idea about this?  Is there any possibility to have a malfunctioning flash disk?

        Thanks for your assistance.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
          On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:20:52PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
          > That is very strange. I haven't changed anything on my system and
          > if I remember well I never had such kind of problems. My system is
          > running almost four years now.
          >
          > The mount command returns:
          >
          > # mount
          > /dev/root on /initrd
          > type jffs2 (rw)
          > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3
          > (rw)
          > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
          > usbdevfs on
          > /proc/bus/usb type
          > usbdevfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda1 on
          > /share/flash/data type
          > ext3 (rw)
          > /dev/sda2 on
          > /share/flash/conf type
          > ext3 (rw,sync)
          > /dev/sdb1 on
          > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1
          > type ext3 (rw)
          >

          > So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash
          > disk I have attached on port 2.
          >
          > Do you have any idea about this? Is there any possibility to have a
          > malfunctioning flash disk?
          >
          > Thanks for your assistance.

          It is posible the flash drive is malfunctioning, i have just recently
          thrown out a bunch of usb disks that were doing odd things that were a
          number of years old. i could only recommend trying it in another PC for
          a period of time and seeing if you get the same errors. if so that
          would indicate the usb drive is faulty. otherwise i have no idea as it
          appears your mounts are in order and as you said it has been working
          for a number of years
        • vasanag
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
            On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:

            On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:20:52PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
            > That is very strange. I haven't changed anything on my system and
            > if I remember well I never had such kind of problems. My system is
            > running almost four years now.
            >
            > The mount command returns:
            >
            > # mount
            > /dev/root on /initrd
            > type jffs2 (rw)
            > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3
            > (rw)
            > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
            > usbdevfs on
            > /proc/bus/usb type
            > usbdevfs (rw)
            > /dev/sda1 on
            > /share/flash/data type
            > ext3 (rw)
            > /dev/sda2 on
            > /share/flash/conf type
            > ext3 (rw,sync)
            > /dev/sdb1 on
            > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1
            > type ext3 (rw)
            >

            > So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash
            > disk I have attached on port 2.
            >
            > Do you have any idea about this? Is there any possibility to have a
            > malfunctioning flash disk?
            >
            > Thanks for your assistance.

            It is posible the flash drive is malfunctioning, i have just recently
            thrown out a bunch of usb disks that were doing odd things that were a
            number of years old. i could only recommend trying it in another PC for
            a period of time and seeing if you get the same errors. if so that
            would indicate the usb drive is faulty. otherwise i have no idea as it
            appears your mounts are in order and as you said it has been working
            for a number of years

            So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a new one?  Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?  Or, a full system installation is needed?

            tia

            vasanag

          • nslu@pocketnix.org
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
              On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 02:59:28PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
              > On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:
              >
              > So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a
              > new one? Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?
              > Or, a full system installation is needed?

              Definitely not saying it is damaged (just a possibility). but if it is
              cp should be fine and the way i would do it as any file that is corrupt
              should generate an error when its blocks are read. dd or gddrescue may
              also work but damaged blocks are just going to be zeroed when copy
              leaving you with damaged files, if its the root fs or a system
              critical fs starting from scratch would be best and just tar up your
              config dir

              keep in mind this isnt a nslu specific problem, you may want to try
              asking on some generic linux forums as well
            • vasanag
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2011
                On 03/05/2011 03:50 PM, nslu@... wrote:

                On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 02:59:28PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
                > On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:
                >
                > So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a
                > new one? Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?
                > Or, a full system installation is needed?

                Definitely not saying it is damaged (just a possibility). but if it is
                cp should be fine and the way i would do it as any file that is corrupt
                should generate an error when its blocks are read. dd or gddrescue may
                also work but damaged blocks are just going to be zeroed when copy
                leaving you with damaged files, if its the root fs or a system
                critical fs starting from scratch would be best and just tar up your
                config dir

                keep in mind this isnt a nslu specific problem, you may want to try
                asking on some generic linux forums as well

                After contacting some other linux forums, I made a backup of the flash disk, using ddrescue, and then I checked the filesystem, using fsck.  The fsck fixed a lot of problems and the system is working perfectly, at the moment.

                BUT, how can I be sure that everything is working correctly?  Can I trust my system after this repair?  Or, should I install everything from scratch?

                tia

              • nslu@pocketnix.org
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 10, 2011
                  On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 08:55:16PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
                  > After contacting some other linux forums, I made a backup of the
                  > flash disk, using ddrescue, and then I checked the filesystem, using
                  > fsck. The fsck fixed a lot of problems and the system is working
                  > perfectly, at the moment.
                  >
                  > BUT, how can I be sure that everything is working correctly? Can I
                  > trust my system after this repair? Or, should I install everything
                  > from scratch?

                  Hi

                  cant give you a definate yes or no. me "best practices" would say back
                  up the configs and start again just to be sure. but if its a non vital
                  system you are probably fine to let it run till something breaks (eg a
                  daemon not running)

                  just boot it up, confirm everything working and let it run if you feel
                  safe doing it

                  if you had non system files (pictures/moives) on that flash disk this
                  may be a good time to look at how you do backups. a 6 month old file
                  an be better than no file at all