dmesg: attempt to access beyond end of device

  • vasanag
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
      Gurus,

      the dmesg command among the others returns the following:
      attempt to access beyond end of device
      08:01: rw=1, want=4199168, limit=750913
      attempt to access beyond end of device
      08:01: rw=1, want=33559452, limit=750913
      attempt to access beyond end of device
      08:01: rw=1, want=536887200, limit=750913
      attempt to access beyond end of device
      08:01: rw=1, want=4198548, limit=750913
      attempt to access beyond end of device
      08:01: rw=1, want=4199168, limit=750913
      attempt to access beyond end of device
      08:01: rw=1, want=33559452, limit=750913

      Do you have any idea about this?

      My nslu2 runs UNSLUNG 6.10 and I have attached an ext3 formatted USB disk.

      Thanks in advance for your assistance.

      vasanag

    • nslu@pocketnix.org
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
        On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 07:19:04PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
        > Gurus,
        >
        > the dmesg command among the others returns the following:

        > attempt to access beyond end of device
        > 08:01: rw=1, want=4199168, limit=750913
        > attempt to access beyond end of device
        > 08:01: rw=1, want=33559452, limit=750913
        > attempt to access beyond end of device
        > 08:01: rw=1, want=536887200, limit=750913
        > attempt to access beyond end of device
        > 08:01: rw=1, want=4198548, limit=750913
        > attempt to access beyond end of device
        > 08:01: rw=1, want=4199168, limit=750913
        > attempt to access beyond end of device
        > 08:01: rw=1, want=33559452, limit=750913
        >
        > Do you have any idea about this?
        >
        > My nslu2 runs UNSLUNG 6.10 and I have attached an ext3 formatted USB disk.

        i would double check your formatting and partitions, the 08:01 indicates
        the first block device partition 1. my guess is that you have a small
        partition and a filesystem that thinks it is larger than the partition it
        is stored on

        this is most likely caused by formatting the disk then partitioning it
        with a tool like fdisk. i would recommend you try (if possible) wiping
        the disc, partitioning it and then formatting the disk again

        if i remeber my device names corectly this should be /dev/sda or
        /dev/sda1 for the first partition
      • vasanag
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
          That is very strange.  I haven't changed anything on my system and if I remember well I never had such kind of problems.  My system is running almost four years now.

          The mount command returns:

          # mount
          /dev/root on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
          /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
          proc on /proc type proc (rw)
          usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
          /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
          /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
          /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw)

          So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash disk I have attached on port 2.

          Do you have any idea about this?  Is there any possibility to have a malfunctioning flash disk?

          Thanks for your assistance.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
            On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:20:52PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
            > That is very strange. I haven't changed anything on my system and
            > if I remember well I never had such kind of problems. My system is
            > running almost four years now.
            >
            > The mount command returns:
            >
            > # mount
            > /dev/root on /initrd
            > type jffs2 (rw)
            > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3
            > (rw)
            > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
            > usbdevfs on
            > /proc/bus/usb type
            > usbdevfs (rw)
            > /dev/sda1 on
            > /share/flash/data type
            > ext3 (rw)
            > /dev/sda2 on
            > /share/flash/conf type
            > ext3 (rw,sync)
            > /dev/sdb1 on
            > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1
            > type ext3 (rw)
            >

            > So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash
            > disk I have attached on port 2.
            >
            > Do you have any idea about this? Is there any possibility to have a
            > malfunctioning flash disk?
            >
            > Thanks for your assistance.

            It is posible the flash drive is malfunctioning, i have just recently
            thrown out a bunch of usb disks that were doing odd things that were a
            number of years old. i could only recommend trying it in another PC for
            a period of time and seeing if you get the same errors. if so that
            would indicate the usb drive is faulty. otherwise i have no idea as it
            appears your mounts are in order and as you said it has been working
            for a number of years
          • vasanag
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
              On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:

              On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:20:52PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
              > That is very strange. I haven't changed anything on my system and
              > if I remember well I never had such kind of problems. My system is
              > running almost four years now.
              >
              > The mount command returns:
              >
              > # mount
              > /dev/root on /initrd
              > type jffs2 (rw)
              > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3
              > (rw)
              > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
              > usbdevfs on
              > /proc/bus/usb type
              > usbdevfs (rw)
              > /dev/sda1 on
              > /share/flash/data type
              > ext3 (rw)
              > /dev/sda2 on
              > /share/flash/conf type
              > ext3 (rw,sync)
              > /dev/sdb1 on
              > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1
              > type ext3 (rw)
              >

              > So, if device 08:01 indicates /dev/sda1, then this is the USB flash
              > disk I have attached on port 2.
              >
              > Do you have any idea about this? Is there any possibility to have a
              > malfunctioning flash disk?
              >
              > Thanks for your assistance.

              It is posible the flash drive is malfunctioning, i have just recently
              thrown out a bunch of usb disks that were doing odd things that were a
              number of years old. i could only recommend trying it in another PC for
              a period of time and seeing if you get the same errors. if so that
              would indicate the usb drive is faulty. otherwise i have no idea as it
              appears your mounts are in order and as you said it has been working
              for a number of years

              So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a new one?  Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?  Or, a full system installation is needed?

              tia

              vasanag

            • nslu@pocketnix.org
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
                On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 02:59:28PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
                > On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:
                >
                > So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a
                > new one? Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?
                > Or, a full system installation is needed?

                Definitely not saying it is damaged (just a possibility). but if it is
                cp should be fine and the way i would do it as any file that is corrupt
                should generate an error when its blocks are read. dd or gddrescue may
                also work but damaged blocks are just going to be zeroed when copy
                leaving you with damaged files, if its the root fs or a system
                critical fs starting from scratch would be best and just tar up your
                config dir

                keep in mind this isnt a nslu specific problem, you may want to try
                asking on some generic linux forums as well
              • vasanag
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2011
                  On 03/05/2011 03:50 PM, nslu@... wrote:

                  On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 02:59:28PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
                  > On 03/05/2011 12:17 AM, nslu@... wrote:
                  >
                  > So, if the flash disk is damaged, is there any way to clone it to a
                  > new one? Can I use a tool like dd or gddrescue to make the cloning?
                  > Or, a full system installation is needed?

                  Definitely not saying it is damaged (just a possibility). but if it is
                  cp should be fine and the way i would do it as any file that is corrupt
                  should generate an error when its blocks are read. dd or gddrescue may
                  also work but damaged blocks are just going to be zeroed when copy
                  leaving you with damaged files, if its the root fs or a system
                  critical fs starting from scratch would be best and just tar up your
                  config dir

                  keep in mind this isnt a nslu specific problem, you may want to try
                  asking on some generic linux forums as well

                  After contacting some other linux forums, I made a backup of the flash disk, using ddrescue, and then I checked the filesystem, using fsck.  The fsck fixed a lot of problems and the system is working perfectly, at the moment.

                  BUT, how can I be sure that everything is working correctly?  Can I trust my system after this repair?  Or, should I install everything from scratch?

                  tia

                • nslu@pocketnix.org
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2011
                    On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 08:55:16PM +0200, vasanag wrote:
                    > After contacting some other linux forums, I made a backup of the
                    > flash disk, using ddrescue, and then I checked the filesystem, using
                    > fsck. The fsck fixed a lot of problems and the system is working
                    > perfectly, at the moment.
                    >
                    > BUT, how can I be sure that everything is working correctly? Can I
                    > trust my system after this repair? Or, should I install everything
                    > from scratch?

                    Hi

                    cant give you a definate yes or no. me "best practices" would say back
                    up the configs and start again just to be sure. but if its a non vital
                    system you are probably fine to let it run till something breaks (eg a
                    daemon not running)

                    just boot it up, confirm everything working and let it run if you feel
                    safe doing it

                    if you had non system files (pictures/moives) on that flash disk this
                    may be a good time to look at how you do backups. a 6 month old file
                    an be better than no file at all