Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 alternative? QNAP TS-110

  • Hardy Griech
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2011
      My personal favorite is the QNAP TS-110
      (http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=136). Thanks to Martin
      Michlmayr (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/) replacement of the original
      firmware with Debian is a snap.

      Consumption is around 10W if the HDD is running (WD green) and 5-7.5W if
      idle. Price is around 140€ in Germany.

      Only points to criticize are 'slow' CPU (800Mhz Marvell Kirkwood 6281)
      and 'only' 256 MByte of RAM (any ideas how both can be tuned?).

      Ah yes, applications running on my Debian-QNAP: samba, apache, rsync,
      squeezebox server, ...

      Hardy
    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 19, 2011
        Might as well mention also the ubiquiti nanostation loco m2 which can run OpenWrt just like my trusty NSLU2. Got a good price on mine a while back, less than $70 (I think you can get it for $50 now). By the way, saw articles about the Foxconn running as a Hackintosh. Put in some leftover parts and now another Debian Machine. Works great.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph&Maria Finch" <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:

        > Foxconn R10-S4
        >
        > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119012
        >
        > Could this be an alternative to our beloved Slug?
        >

        > - Low power, fanless (reviewer says "draws 35 watts at idle")
        > - small form factor
        > - install any OS you like
        > - 1 internal & 1 external storage bays SATA 3.0Gb/s
        > - onboard video
        > - Realtek 8100C(10/100Mbps) LAN
        > - 2 front 4 rear USB (2.0 I assume)
        >
        > I would prefer something a little more stripped and lower power,
        > nevertheless this seems to be a contender...

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2011
          Might as well mention another candidate.
          http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/efika