Re: Low power / quiet drive

  • dystopianrebel
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 3, 2011
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Doug <dsc3507@...> wrote:

      > Well the microdrives are small and low power but I am not sure they are more
      > reliable. It seems there is a bunch of opinions on that.

      I don't know about opinions (there's one for every monkey), but I know that mine have been highly reliable for about five years. I run Web servers on them.

      Microdrives are known to require careful handling -- they won't survive a drop that a Flash drive can survive. So any use that requires tumbling from a balcony would eliminate microdrives. Apart from that, I suggest not heeding unsubstantiated opinion. Microdrives work. (o:
    • Ralph & Maria Finch
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 3, 2011

        I just wonder why consider a Microdrive when they are such low capacity (2GB-6GB from a quick google search). USB Flash Drives are 10 times the size for roughly the same price. As to reliability I just periodically make an image backup of everything, the procedure is documented on the NSLU2 wiki.  I’ve been running my Slug for a couple of years now, 24/7, with 2 USB flash drives, no problems.  I use it mainly as a proxy server and sometimes for torrent downloads.

        > Well the microdrives are small and low power but I am not sure they are more
        > reliable. It seems there is a bunch of opinions on that.

        I don't know about opinions (there's one for every monkey), but I know that mine have been highly reliable for about five years. I run Web servers on them.

        Microdrives are known to require careful handling -- they won't survive a drop that a Flash drive can survive. So any use that requires tumbling from a balcony would eliminate microdrives. Apart from that, I suggest not heeding unsubstantiated opinion. Microdrives work. (o:

      • Harsh
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 3, 2011
          Whatever you do, dont buy the Seagate FreeAgent series if you need them to work with the slug. I had a FreeAgent Go and it refused to play nice with Linux (NSLU2 or otherwise). There were several fixes suggested online using hdparm and changing /dev parameters - tried all of them and none worked. Not sure if the problem exists on other Seagate portable drives but I pretty much found no way out of that one.

          There was a related article on Slashdot as well: http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/09/0651200

          Too bad I found out about all this only after I had bought it :)

          -H

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
            "Ralph & Maria Finch", I think these are the points in favour of using a Hitachi microdrive:

            - the size (4, 6, or 8 GB) is just right for a boot disk; a second disk could be a Flash stick for storage of large (mostly static) files

            - I don't have to fiddle with the OS to reduce writes to disk; the OS runs as intended

            - I don't have to guess about a Flash drive's quality or ability to manage wear (lifetime warranties don't appear to be offered for Flash memory anymore, so I have no great confidence in them)

            Flash memory is cheaper in 2011 than it was in 2006 when I set up my Slugs. Flash now has significantly higher capacity. That said, the microdrive solution has worked well for me, so I can recommend it in good faith.

            And that, in the end, is the best I can do for a total stranger asking for help on the World Wide Turing Test.

          • nslu@pocketnix.org
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
              My own experince with microdrives is that they die quicker than flash
              drives, at every opertunity they try to park the heads and IIRC from
              reading the datasheet its rated to 300k head parks, when listening to
              mp3's on the zaurus c3000 you hit that pretty quickly

              i did end up replacing the microdrive with a cf card on a brand new
              zarus and moving the micro drive to the slug (so i could ahve a swap
              file) howeer had to ditch it after the drive died (tick of death)

              if you do go down the microdrive, make sure you apply those flash
              hacks to prevent writing to disk, they will make the drive last longer

              as a side note, CF cards tend to last longer as a swap file than SD
              cards do (or at least they did a couple of years back) we belive it
              had to do with the quality of the flash chips and drive controllers
              (which at the time were of much higher quality than SD cards, sandisk
              SD cards came close but were still beaten by a mid range CF card)

              another side note, IIRC a microdrive cost 3-5 times more than a CF
              card and few cards were avalible in the same capacity

              On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 06:55:19PM -0000, dystopianrebel wrote:
              > "Ralph & Maria Finch", I think these are the points in favour of using a Hitachi microdrive:
              >
              > - the size (4, 6, or 8 GB) is just right for a boot disk; a second disk could be a Flash stick for storage of large (mostly static) files
              >
              > - I don't have to fiddle with the OS to reduce writes to disk; the OS runs as intended
              >
              > - I don't have to guess about a Flash drive's quality or ability to manage wear (lifetime warranties don't appear to be offered for Flash memory anymore, so I have no great confidence in them)
              >
              > Flash memory is cheaper in 2011 than it was in 2006 when I set up my Slugs. Flash now has significantly higher capacity. That said, the microdrive solution has worked well for me, so I can recommend it in good faith.
              >
              > And that, in the end, is the best I can do for a total stranger asking for help on the World Wide Turing Test.
              >

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph & Maria Finch" <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just wonder why consider a Microdrive when they are such low capacity
              > > (2GB-6GB from a quick google search). USB Flash Drives are 10 times the size
              > > for roughly the same price. As to reliability I just periodically make an
              > > image backup of everything, the procedure is documented on the NSLU2 wiki.
              > > I've been running my Slug for a couple of years now, 24/7, with 2 USB flash
              > > drives, no problems. I use it mainly as a proxy server and sometimes for
              > > torrent downloads.

            • dystopianrebel
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
                I only use Hitachi microdrives, and I've found them to be very reliable. Which brand were you using?

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Hitachi, i may have been hammering/using the dirves more than the
                  usual user with a swap file, i had my slugs doing quite a bit

                  On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 01:36:54AM -0000, dystopianrebel wrote:
                  > I only use Hitachi microdrives, and I've found them to be very reliable. Which brand were you using?
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, nslu@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > My own experince with microdrives is that they die quicker than flash
                  > > drives, at every opertunity they try to park the heads and IIRC from
                  > > reading the datasheet its rated to 300k head parks, when listening to
                  > > mp3's on the zaurus c3000 you hit that pretty quickly
                  > >
                  > > i did end up replacing the microdrive with a cf card on a brand new
                  > > zarus and moving the micro drive to the slug (so i could ahve a swap
                  > > file) howeer had to ditch it after the drive died (tick of death)
                  > >

                  > > if you do go down the microdrive, make sure you apply those flash
                  > > hacks to prevent writing to disk, they will make the drive last longer
                  > >
                  > > as a side note, CF cards tend to last longer as a swap file than SD
                  > > cards do (or at least they did a couple of years back) we belive it
                  > > had to do with the quality of the flash chips and drive controllers
                  > > (which at the time were of much higher quality than SD cards, sandisk
                  > > SD cards came close but were still beaten by a mid range CF card)
                  > >
                  > > another side note, IIRC a microdrive cost 3-5 times more than a CF
                  > > card and few cards were avalible in the same capacity

                • M.J. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
                       The amount of discussion this topic has generated is astounding.  Many of the messages have debated the merits and shortcomings of solid state vs. microdrives.  Bottom line:  all drives fail.  ALL.  ("On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.")  Which leaves you with a mitigation strategy (RAID or some kind of failover) or a backup strategy.

                       As was suggested previously, taking regular backups is a fine strategy, documented on the wiki, and useful regardless of the media you decide to run your NSLU2.  I take regular backups of my system, which is running on a 1Gb Transcend Jet Flash USB thumbdrive.  It has been more or less running 24x7 since 2007 without a problem.  Adequately impressed by the Transcend product, about a year ago I bought 3 more 2Gb drives for about $5 each.  You can get 4Gb Transcend drives on Amazon currently for the same price.  An Hitachi 6 Gb drive (the only one I saw available from an OEM reseller) runs about $180.

                    On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Ralph & Maria Finch <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:

                    I just wonder why consider a Microdrive when they are such low capacity (2GB-6GB from a quick google search). USB Flash Drives are 10 times the size for roughly the same price. As to reliability I just periodically make an image backup of everything, the procedure is documented on the NSLU2 wiki.  I’ve been running my Slug for a couple of years now, 24/7, with 2 USB flash drives, no problems.  I use it mainly as a proxy server and sometimes for torrent downloads.

                    > Well the microdrives are small and low power but I am not sure they are more
                    > reliable. It seems there is a bunch of opinions on that.

                    I don't know about opinions (there's one for every monkey), but I know that mine have been highly reliable for about five years. I run Web servers on them.

                    Microdrives are known to require careful handling -- they won't survive a drop that a Flash drive can survive. So any use that requires tumbling from a balcony would eliminate microdrives. Apart from that, I suggest not heeding unsubstantiated opinion. Microdrives work. (o:

                  • Mike Westerhof
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
                      M.J. Johnson wrote:
                      > The amount of discussion this topic has generated is astounding.
                      > Many of the messages have debated the merits and shortcomings of solid
                      > state vs. microdrives. Bottom line: all drives fail. ALL. ("On a
                      > long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.")
                      > Which leaves you with a mitigation strategy (RAID or some kind of
                      > failover) or a backup strategy.

                      Exactly right!

                      But not a single comment on the solution that allows one to use RAID for
                      the rootfs.

                      So, is it worth continuing to support RAID in SlugOS? I ask because I'm
                      currently struggling to fit stuff into the next SlugOS release, and
                      something needs to be tossed...

                      -Mike (mwester)
                    • stanley_p_miller_qaz
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

                        > Exactly right!
                        >
                        > But not a single comment on the solution that allows one to use RAID for
                        > the rootfs.
                        >
                        > So, is it worth continuing to support RAID in SlugOS? I ask because I'm
                        > currently struggling to fit stuff into the next SlugOS release, and
                        > something needs to be tossed...
                        >
                        > -Mike (mwester)

                        For me RAID is not of interest, I'm looking at low power 24x7 operation and it is easy for me to make backups of my slug to another higher power system and keep the slug's power budget low.

                        What are the other options on what should stay/go for the next version?
                      • jon pounder
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
                          On 01/06/2011 12:49 PM, stanley_p_miller_qaz wrote:
                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof<mwester@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Exactly right!
                          >>
                          >> But not a single comment on the solution that allows one to use RAID for
                          >> the rootfs.
                          >>
                          >> So, is it worth continuing to support RAID in SlugOS? I ask because I'm
                          >> currently struggling to fit stuff into the next SlugOS release, and
                          >> something needs to be tossed...
                          >>
                          >> -Mike (mwester)
                          >>
                          > For me RAID is not of interest, I'm looking at low power 24x7 operation and it is easy for me to make backups of my slug to another higher power system and keep the slug's power budget low.

                          I have to agree on this one - if I am going to start doing raid etc.,
                          its not going to be on a device without a console, if my data is that
                          important, I want to be able to get in there when I have to to fix
                          things and bring it back from the dead. My preference is always where
                          possible a generic boot system that can be replaced completely, and the
                          data on raid drives that could be put in a completely new system and
                          brought back to life if necessary. I don't see the nslu2 as fitting the
                          bill for this at all - its niche is a low power solution thats pretty
                          much disposable when it breaks, and focus should be on backup of
                          whatever matters, and ease of just dumping it back into new hardware
                          when needed.

                          > What are the other options on what should stay/go for the next version?

                        • Stephen Miller
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
                            I have been running one-wire for 5 years now on OpenSlug 2.7 using a 30G
                            drive out of my old laptop. No special treatment at all. I have had
                            owwnogui hang, usually due to the barometric sensor, but it all works.
                            Last year I finally put it on a UPS after giving up on solar power and
                            have consistently gotten 3 month uptimes (119 days, this run). I have
                            rebuilt the power supply of course (maybe twice). A storage drive is a
                            Maxtor 3.5" 160G one that spins down and it works fine too.

                            Also, I have never actually had a USB stick fail. I have a second slug
                            with a USB stick soldered directly to one of the unused internal ports.
                            It works fine too. I have also tried to kill a CF by writing blocks
                            repeatedly for days; something like approximately 16 million writes if I
                            remember. I got bored with it after about 4 days. I still use that same
                            CF card for my work. It was a Sandisk unit and I have a lot of respect
                            for their products.

                            It seems to me that this discussion is creating the impression that the
                            storage devices cannot be trusted but my experience is otherwise. I see
                            no reason to put RAID into the firmware and if you are that concerned
                            about your data, perhaps the slug is a poor choice. There are backup
                            solutions that are a better choice IMO. Since almost all slug hardware
                            problems are due to power issues, I think any concern should start there.

                            Steve

                            On 11-01-06 8:22 AM, Mike Westerhof wrote:
                            > M.J. Johnson wrote:
                            >> The amount of discussion this topic has generated is astounding.
                            >> Many of the messages have debated the merits and shortcomings of solid
                            >> state vs. microdrives. Bottom line: all drives fail. ALL. ("On a
                            >> long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.")
                            >> Which leaves you with a mitigation strategy (RAID or some kind of
                            >> failover) or a backup strategy.
                            > Exactly right!
                            >
                            > But not a single comment on the solution that allows one to use RAID for
                            > the rootfs.
                            >
                            > So, is it worth continuing to support RAID in SlugOS? I ask because I'm
                            > currently struggling to fit stuff into the next SlugOS release, and
                            > something needs to be tossed...
                            >
                            > -Mike (mwester)

                          • dystopianrebel
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 6, 2011
                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

                              > The amount of discussion this topic has generated is astounding.

                              Terribly sorry, I thought this was a discussion group. I'll amend my behaviour... after the next two lines. (o:

                              It is possible to find Hitachi microdrives for a fraction of the cost that you cite.

                              In the end, the cheapness of Flash memory is both its advantage and its disadvantage.
                            • Robert Vassar

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 8, 2011
                                  FYI as a data point, mine is still running on the original 512MB PNY Attache drive installed in November 2006. It served as my sole CUPS print server up until last year, then primarily small scale NAS duty only until the recent conversion to a dedicated 1-wire network controller.

                                  I did the .ext3flash approach to minimize wear from day 1.