Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 shutdown problem

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
      Mike,

         I thought the same thing and my bad that I did not document which of the growing mods I performed when I did it over a year ago. I think that is the problem. I either need to get in there and change the mod or write some code that puts it in a loop after the system is properly shutdown. No big deal. It does what I really wanted it to do and that is recover and reboot at any power failure since I use it for remote temperature sensing.

      Thanks and Happy New Year,  Doug

      Doug Crompton
      WA3DSP
      www.crompton.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2010
        I think I found a way around this that works at least in my case using the power mod I made. If I do a

        shutdown -hH now

        It shuts down and then sits there alternately blinking the power light from green to yellow at which point you can shutoff the power by pulling the power plug.

        Doug

        Doug Crompton
        WA3DSP
        www.crompton.com

        > Have an NSLU2 modified for instant on in the event of a power failure. The
        > problem I am having is that when I do a
        >
        > 'shutdown now -h' in Debian in shuts down but then restarts again. So it is
        > hard to do a clean shutdown. Anyone have an answer for this? I though halt was
        > suppose to halt the processor after shutting down the OS.

        On the NSLU2, there is no "halt" as such -- the processor sets a GPIO
        pin to a state that "pulls the plug", and kills the processor.

        You don't state which of the 12 or 13 (or is it more by now?) power mods
        you have implemented, but it seems to me that whichever one it is, it's
        'glitchy' and causes the hardware to re-power up after the GPIO turns it
        off.

        (AFAIK, Debian uses the same kernel as all the other firmwares, but if
        that is not true, then this could be due to some difference in the way
        Debian handles power-off --- all I can say is that my modified unit with
        SlugOS works as expected.)

        -Mike

      • brucek
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2010

          I’ve noticed, that when using an external USB drive that uses an external USB power supply, that when my NSLU2 tries to power down, the external power supply keeps it powered up, but in the blinking power LED state.

            So, if there is no external drive and USB power, it shuts down to off…and with USB power attached, it shuts down to the flashing power LED mode.  If I unplug the USB power supply (but keep the regular NSLU2 power supply attached) it will power down to off

          Bruce