Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 shutdown problem

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
      On 12/28/2010 9:44 PM, Doug wrote:
      > Have an NSLU2 modified for instant on in the event of a power failure. The
      > problem I am having is that when I do a
      >
      > 'shutdown now -h' in Debian in shuts down but then restarts again. So it is
      > hard to do a clean shutdown. Anyone have an answer for this? I though halt was
      > suppose to halt the processor after shutting down the OS.

      On the NSLU2, there is no "halt" as such -- the processor sets a GPIO
      pin to a state that "pulls the plug", and kills the processor.

      You don't state which of the 12 or 13 (or is it more by now?) power mods
      you have implemented, but it seems to me that whichever one it is, it's
      'glitchy' and causes the hardware to re-power up after the GPIO turns it
      off.

      (AFAIK, Debian uses the same kernel as all the other firmwares, but if
      that is not true, then this could be due to some difference in the way
      Debian handles power-off --- all I can say is that my modified unit with
      SlugOS works as expected.)

      -Mike
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
        Mike,

           I thought the same thing and my bad that I did not document which of the growing mods I performed when I did it over a year ago. I think that is the problem. I either need to get in there and change the mod or write some code that puts it in a loop after the system is properly shutdown. No big deal. It does what I really wanted it to do and that is recover and reboot at any power failure since I use it for remote temperature sensing.

        Thanks and Happy New Year,  Doug

        Doug Crompton
        WA3DSP
        www.crompton.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2010
          I think I found a way around this that works at least in my case using the power mod I made. If I do a

          shutdown -hH now

          It shuts down and then sits there alternately blinking the power light from green to yellow at which point you can shutoff the power by pulling the power plug.

          Doug

          Doug Crompton
          WA3DSP
          www.crompton.com

          > Have an NSLU2 modified for instant on in the event of a power failure. The
          > problem I am having is that when I do a
          >
          > 'shutdown now -h' in Debian in shuts down but then restarts again. So it is
          > hard to do a clean shutdown. Anyone have an answer for this? I though halt was
          > suppose to halt the processor after shutting down the OS.

          On the NSLU2, there is no "halt" as such -- the processor sets a GPIO
          pin to a state that "pulls the plug", and kills the processor.

          You don't state which of the 12 or 13 (or is it more by now?) power mods
          you have implemented, but it seems to me that whichever one it is, it's
          'glitchy' and causes the hardware to re-power up after the GPIO turns it
          off.

          (AFAIK, Debian uses the same kernel as all the other firmwares, but if
          that is not true, then this could be due to some difference in the way
          Debian handles power-off --- all I can say is that my modified unit with
          SlugOS works as expected.)

          -Mike

        • brucek
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2010

            I’ve noticed, that when using an external USB drive that uses an external USB power supply, that when my NSLU2 tries to power down, the external power supply keeps it powered up, but in the blinking power LED state.

              So, if there is no external drive and USB power, it shuts down to off…and with USB power attached, it shuts down to the flashing power LED mode.  If I unplug the USB power supply (but keep the regular NSLU2 power supply attached) it will power down to off

            Bruce