Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

  • tonjg
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
      allan-46 wrote:
      > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
      > 132-9311
      > FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

      ah that sounds promising, I'll check that out and thanks for the advice.
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
        allan-46 wrote:

        > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
        > 132-9311

        ah ok thanks. Did you actually use this cable to restore a Linksys NSLU2?
      • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
          Ok, this is getting really quite out-of-hand. I'm not sure which
          problem you are wanting solved, and I'm quite sure that the direction
          this thread has taken is going to waste a lot of your time and your money.

          Firstly, figure out what problem you want to solve, and lets focus on that.

          ----

          A) You sent a description, and video clip, that indicates that the NSLU2
          boots up, beeps, but cannot be found on the network.

          B) You've sent a lot of packet captures containing DHCP requests.

          C) You are unable to enter upgrade mode.

          ----

          The information in (A) indicates that the device is functioning as
          expected, with the exception that it cannot be found on the network. If
          this is the situation, there is a specific set of things we should do in
          sequence to progressively debug the problem. In general, we would like
          to confirm that the network port is functional from a hardware
          point-of-view, and we'd like to confirm that we can reach it through the
          router.

          The information in (B) is, to date, a complete red herring. Firstly,
          we're assuming (there's no evidence whatever) that the NSLU2 is, in
          fact, attempting DHCP. None of the packet captures show what they claim
          to show, quite frankly. But if we want to pursue this, we'd need more
          specific information -- such as the serial number of the NSLU2, which
          contains the last 3 octets of the MAC address -- and a completely
          private network consisting of nothing but a host system, the NSLU2, and
          a switch. Oh - and new cables. But even so, the absence of DHCP
          queries from the device is not a problem. If it was set to a fixed IP
          before, it is set to the same fixed IP now, so of course it won't DHCP.

          Option (C) seems to be driven by panic at this point. It was originally
          raised in order to add evidence that the device won't talk on the
          network. Somehow from there we've gotten to talking about the device
          being "bricked" and rushing off to purchase JTAG hardware (!!). How on
          earth did that happen?? The device is NOT bricked! There's still value
          in entering upgrade mode, though -- upgrade mode is driven by the
          bootloader, and its IP address cannot be changed. Therefore, it serves
          to remove variables from the testing process -- i.e. if we can enter
          upgrade mode, and one of the upgrade utilities can "find" the device on
          the network, then we know that the device is functioning, that the
          network hardware is ok on the NSLU2, and that our cables and switch are
          all ok. I'll also take this opportunity to mention that there is only
          ONE documented case of a device being unable to enter upgrade mode by
          the reset button, and that was a case where the reset button was
          damaged. So, testing that the reset button works is easy, and once we
          confirm that works, then it's simply timing and patience that will get
          the device into upgrade mode.

          ---------

          So, which of the above do you want to work on? Do you want to work on
          finding the device on the network with the existing firmware (A), or do
          you want to continue to try to find evidence of its MAC address on the
          network for some reason (B), or do you want to try to reflash some
          firmware image (C)?

          Then let's focus on that single problem, and work it slowly and
          logically to a resolution (rather than the shotgun approach).

          -Mike (mwester)
        • tonjg
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
            a breakthrough.
            I'm in.
            I actually managed to get the slug into upgrade mode, but what was different
            this time is I had no network cable plugged in. In the past when trying to
            get this mode I had the network cable plugged in and it never worked.
            Anyway, once I had the light in alternating colours I plugged in a cable and
            did the upslug2 thing and it picked up the slug, so I then did:
            # upslug2 --target="00:18:39:a5:89:9a" --image="Unslung-6.10-beta.bin" and
            it flashed up new firmware. After much faffing about I finally got the web
            interface up so I'm kind of back where I started, except this time I have an
            unslung logo in the upper left hand corner.
            Don't know what to do next now so it's back to the documents...

            thanks for all your help.
          • tonjg
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
              sdm485 wrote:

              > Curious about the reset into upgrade not working;

              if it benefits anyone else, this is what happens with my slug. The stuff on
              the wiki about a red flashing light is baloney. I get an orange light, and
              then after about ten seconds I get a tiny tiny variation on the orange. The
              light goes slightly dimmer and thats when I release the reset button and
              that's when the upgrade mode works. But the difference between the two is
              really really hard to spot, and it only works if there is no network cable
              connected.

            • Stephen Miller
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                For the record, I think the wiki has a reasonable explanation about the LED colors when going into upgrade mode.

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

                If you wish to clarify it please do. I have early units and you have later units. The bit about the network connection is definitely new to me (my early units don't care if the network cable is connected or not) and it would be good to add it to the wiki.

                Steve