Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

  • tonjg
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
      Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
      > I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
      > way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
      > of the slug, I guess that's a good thing.

      oops, my mistake, sorry. it wasn't showing the mac address of the slug at
      all, it was the mac address of the router port (red faced).

      I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
      > where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
      > hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
      > Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
      > Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
      > see what traffic appears.

      ok I did that. I connected the slug to my (windows) laptop with a crossover
      cable, I gave the network port the address 192.168.0.2. Started up wireshark
      and then booted the slug. This is what I got:
      (wireshark pcap file)
      http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugoot2.pcap
      again mixed in there are three dhcp pings (0.0.0.0) present which I'm sure
      are from the Linksys device. Problem is that even when connected to a dhcp
      server the Linksys doesn't pick up an ip address.

      If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
      > redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
      > described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
      > -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

      that circles back to the problem. This slug will not pick up an ip address
      so I can't telnet anything. I've pinged 192.168.1.77 loads of times...get
      nothing. I've checked and checked and checked again and I've done scans for
      an ip address using netscan.exe but there is never an ip address for the
      Linksys.
      Right now I'm scrounging round to find if/where I can buy an jtag cable for
      this device. I think that's the only way to go now.
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
        allan-46 wrote:
        > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
        > 132-9311
        > FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

        ah that sounds promising, I'll check that out and thanks for the advice.
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
          allan-46 wrote:

          > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
          > 132-9311

          ah ok thanks. Did you actually use this cable to restore a Linksys NSLU2?
        • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
            Ok, this is getting really quite out-of-hand. I'm not sure which
            problem you are wanting solved, and I'm quite sure that the direction
            this thread has taken is going to waste a lot of your time and your money.

            Firstly, figure out what problem you want to solve, and lets focus on that.

            ----

            A) You sent a description, and video clip, that indicates that the NSLU2
            boots up, beeps, but cannot be found on the network.

            B) You've sent a lot of packet captures containing DHCP requests.

            C) You are unable to enter upgrade mode.

            ----

            The information in (A) indicates that the device is functioning as
            expected, with the exception that it cannot be found on the network. If
            this is the situation, there is a specific set of things we should do in
            sequence to progressively debug the problem. In general, we would like
            to confirm that the network port is functional from a hardware
            point-of-view, and we'd like to confirm that we can reach it through the
            router.

            The information in (B) is, to date, a complete red herring. Firstly,
            we're assuming (there's no evidence whatever) that the NSLU2 is, in
            fact, attempting DHCP. None of the packet captures show what they claim
            to show, quite frankly. But if we want to pursue this, we'd need more
            specific information -- such as the serial number of the NSLU2, which
            contains the last 3 octets of the MAC address -- and a completely
            private network consisting of nothing but a host system, the NSLU2, and
            a switch. Oh - and new cables. But even so, the absence of DHCP
            queries from the device is not a problem. If it was set to a fixed IP
            before, it is set to the same fixed IP now, so of course it won't DHCP.

            Option (C) seems to be driven by panic at this point. It was originally
            raised in order to add evidence that the device won't talk on the
            network. Somehow from there we've gotten to talking about the device
            being "bricked" and rushing off to purchase JTAG hardware (!!). How on
            earth did that happen?? The device is NOT bricked! There's still value
            in entering upgrade mode, though -- upgrade mode is driven by the
            bootloader, and its IP address cannot be changed. Therefore, it serves
            to remove variables from the testing process -- i.e. if we can enter
            upgrade mode, and one of the upgrade utilities can "find" the device on
            the network, then we know that the device is functioning, that the
            network hardware is ok on the NSLU2, and that our cables and switch are
            all ok. I'll also take this opportunity to mention that there is only
            ONE documented case of a device being unable to enter upgrade mode by
            the reset button, and that was a case where the reset button was
            damaged. So, testing that the reset button works is easy, and once we
            confirm that works, then it's simply timing and patience that will get
            the device into upgrade mode.

            ---------

            So, which of the above do you want to work on? Do you want to work on
            finding the device on the network with the existing firmware (A), or do
            you want to continue to try to find evidence of its MAC address on the
            network for some reason (B), or do you want to try to reflash some
            firmware image (C)?

            Then let's focus on that single problem, and work it slowly and
            logically to a resolution (rather than the shotgun approach).

            -Mike (mwester)
          • tonjg
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
              a breakthrough.
              I'm in.
              I actually managed to get the slug into upgrade mode, but what was different
              this time is I had no network cable plugged in. In the past when trying to
              get this mode I had the network cable plugged in and it never worked.
              Anyway, once I had the light in alternating colours I plugged in a cable and
              did the upslug2 thing and it picked up the slug, so I then did:
              # upslug2 --target="00:18:39:a5:89:9a" --image="Unslung-6.10-beta.bin" and
              it flashed up new firmware. After much faffing about I finally got the web
              interface up so I'm kind of back where I started, except this time I have an
              unslung logo in the upper left hand corner.
              Don't know what to do next now so it's back to the documents...

              thanks for all your help.
            • tonjg
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                sdm485 wrote:

                > Curious about the reset into upgrade not working;

                if it benefits anyone else, this is what happens with my slug. The stuff on
                the wiki about a red flashing light is baloney. I get an orange light, and
                then after about ten seconds I get a tiny tiny variation on the orange. The
                light goes slightly dimmer and thats when I release the reset button and
                that's when the upgrade mode works. But the difference between the two is
                really really hard to spot, and it only works if there is no network cable
                connected.

              • Stephen Miller
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                  For the record, I think the wiki has a reasonable explanation about the LED colors when going into upgrade mode.

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

                  If you wish to clarify it please do. I have early units and you have later units. The bit about the network connection is definitely new to me (my early units don't care if the network cable is connected or not) and it would be good to add it to the wiki.

                  Steve