Re: newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

  • allan
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
      > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where
      > can I buy
      > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the
      > right one
      > on ebay. I'm in the UK.
      > --

      I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
      132-9311

      FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

      Note - 'USB'

      Allan
    • tonjg
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
        Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
        > I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
        > way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
        > of the slug, I guess that's a good thing.

        oops, my mistake, sorry. it wasn't showing the mac address of the slug at
        all, it was the mac address of the router port (red faced).

        I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
        > where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
        > hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
        > Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
        > Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
        > see what traffic appears.

        ok I did that. I connected the slug to my (windows) laptop with a crossover
        cable, I gave the network port the address 192.168.0.2. Started up wireshark
        and then booted the slug. This is what I got:
        (wireshark pcap file)
        http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugoot2.pcap
        again mixed in there are three dhcp pings (0.0.0.0) present which I'm sure
        are from the Linksys device. Problem is that even when connected to a dhcp
        server the Linksys doesn't pick up an ip address.

        If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
        > redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
        > described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
        > -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

        that circles back to the problem. This slug will not pick up an ip address
        so I can't telnet anything. I've pinged 192.168.1.77 loads of times...get
        nothing. I've checked and checked and checked again and I've done scans for
        an ip address using netscan.exe but there is never an ip address for the
        Linksys.
        Right now I'm scrounging round to find if/where I can buy an jtag cable for
        this device. I think that's the only way to go now.
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
          allan-46 wrote:
          > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
          > 132-9311
          > FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

          ah that sounds promising, I'll check that out and thanks for the advice.
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
            allan-46 wrote:

            > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
            > 132-9311

            ah ok thanks. Did you actually use this cable to restore a Linksys NSLU2?
          • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
              Ok, this is getting really quite out-of-hand. I'm not sure which
              problem you are wanting solved, and I'm quite sure that the direction
              this thread has taken is going to waste a lot of your time and your money.

              Firstly, figure out what problem you want to solve, and lets focus on that.

              ----

              A) You sent a description, and video clip, that indicates that the NSLU2
              boots up, beeps, but cannot be found on the network.

              B) You've sent a lot of packet captures containing DHCP requests.

              C) You are unable to enter upgrade mode.

              ----

              The information in (A) indicates that the device is functioning as
              expected, with the exception that it cannot be found on the network. If
              this is the situation, there is a specific set of things we should do in
              sequence to progressively debug the problem. In general, we would like
              to confirm that the network port is functional from a hardware
              point-of-view, and we'd like to confirm that we can reach it through the
              router.

              The information in (B) is, to date, a complete red herring. Firstly,
              we're assuming (there's no evidence whatever) that the NSLU2 is, in
              fact, attempting DHCP. None of the packet captures show what they claim
              to show, quite frankly. But if we want to pursue this, we'd need more
              specific information -- such as the serial number of the NSLU2, which
              contains the last 3 octets of the MAC address -- and a completely
              private network consisting of nothing but a host system, the NSLU2, and
              a switch. Oh - and new cables. But even so, the absence of DHCP
              queries from the device is not a problem. If it was set to a fixed IP
              before, it is set to the same fixed IP now, so of course it won't DHCP.

              Option (C) seems to be driven by panic at this point. It was originally
              raised in order to add evidence that the device won't talk on the
              network. Somehow from there we've gotten to talking about the device
              being "bricked" and rushing off to purchase JTAG hardware (!!). How on
              earth did that happen?? The device is NOT bricked! There's still value
              in entering upgrade mode, though -- upgrade mode is driven by the
              bootloader, and its IP address cannot be changed. Therefore, it serves
              to remove variables from the testing process -- i.e. if we can enter
              upgrade mode, and one of the upgrade utilities can "find" the device on
              the network, then we know that the device is functioning, that the
              network hardware is ok on the NSLU2, and that our cables and switch are
              all ok. I'll also take this opportunity to mention that there is only
              ONE documented case of a device being unable to enter upgrade mode by
              the reset button, and that was a case where the reset button was
              damaged. So, testing that the reset button works is easy, and once we
              confirm that works, then it's simply timing and patience that will get
              the device into upgrade mode.

              ---------

              So, which of the above do you want to work on? Do you want to work on
              finding the device on the network with the existing firmware (A), or do
              you want to continue to try to find evidence of its MAC address on the
              network for some reason (B), or do you want to try to reflash some
              firmware image (C)?

              Then let's focus on that single problem, and work it slowly and
              logically to a resolution (rather than the shotgun approach).

              -Mike (mwester)
            • tonjg
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                a breakthrough.
                I'm in.
                I actually managed to get the slug into upgrade mode, but what was different
                this time is I had no network cable plugged in. In the past when trying to
                get this mode I had the network cable plugged in and it never worked.
                Anyway, once I had the light in alternating colours I plugged in a cable and
                did the upslug2 thing and it picked up the slug, so I then did:
                # upslug2 --target="00:18:39:a5:89:9a" --image="Unslung-6.10-beta.bin" and
                it flashed up new firmware. After much faffing about I finally got the web
                interface up so I'm kind of back where I started, except this time I have an
                unslung logo in the upper left hand corner.
                Don't know what to do next now so it's back to the documents...

                thanks for all your help.
              • tonjg
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                  sdm485 wrote:

                  > Curious about the reset into upgrade not working;

                  if it benefits anyone else, this is what happens with my slug. The stuff on
                  the wiki about a red flashing light is baloney. I get an orange light, and
                  then after about ten seconds I get a tiny tiny variation on the orange. The
                  light goes slightly dimmer and thats when I release the reset button and
                  that's when the upgrade mode works. But the difference between the two is
                  really really hard to spot, and it only works if there is no network cable
                  connected.

                • Stephen Miller
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                    For the record, I think the wiki has a reasonable explanation about the LED colors when going into upgrade mode.

                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

                    If you wish to clarify it please do. I have early units and you have later units. The bit about the network connection is definitely new to me (my early units don't care if the network cable is connected or not) and it would be good to add it to the wiki.

                    Steve