Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
      On 12/19/2010 1:33 PM, tonjg wrote:

      > Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
      >>
      >> Do you see replies to the DCHP requests? Can you post the traffic that
      >> you do see, so we can try to help?
      >
      > if I connect the slug directly to a pc and boot it up this is what I get:
      > (wireshark file)
      > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.dat
      > screenshot)
      > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.png

      There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
      MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
      few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
      first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
      captured by wireshark.

      > -- is that the sercomm upgrade
      >> utility --
      >
      > I tried both all_router_utility.zip (837 KB) and Upgrade_207_XP.zip (894 KB)
      > but got nowhere with either.
      >
      > But anyway, the fact that it can't find the NSLU2 indicates that either
      >> you have network problems (bad cable? bad port on a switch or router?
      >> are your hosts and the NSLU2 on the same side of a routed network
      >> segment?), or that you weren't in upgrade mode to begin with
      >
      > cables are ok. I use a cisco router and if I do 'show int Fa-xxx' in the
      > router the console shows the mac address of the slug which means the router
      > can see it.

      Ok, I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
      way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
      of the slug, I guess that's a good thing. Is it cached from a long time
      ago, though? Or does that command do some sort of arp? Or is doing
      something else? No matter. The issue, at this point, boils down to:
      a) how do we know that the NSLU2 is sending DHCP packets? (The trace
      shows no NSLU2 packets)
      b) how do we know that whatever host is running wireshark is seeing all
      packets (most switches will filter packets not intended for the host on
      that particular port -- which would mean that one could see the DHCP
      broadcasts, but not the replies).

      > I'm getting a feeling this slug is bricked and maybe I have to
      > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where can I buy
      > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the right one
      > on ebay. I'm in the UK.

      A bricked unit will not be capable of sending anything on the wire - it
      won't boot at all. So as long as you see LEDs doing something (other
      than the Ethernet LED, of course), it's not bricked.

      I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
      where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
      hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
      Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
      Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
      see what traffic appears.

      If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
      redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
      described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
      -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

      -Mike (mwester)
    • Hardy Griech
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
        On 20.12.2010 04:54, Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
        :
        > There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
        > MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
        > few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
        > first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
        > captured by wireshark.
        :

        Why should the packets get captured in a switched network?

        I would recommend to analyse the log of the router (it was a cisco) and
        turn on debugging/verbose logging if possible.

        Hardy
      • allan
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
          > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where
          > can I buy
          > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the
          > right one
          > on ebay. I'm in the UK.
          > --

          I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
          132-9311

          FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

          Note - 'USB'

          Allan
        • tonjg
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
            Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
            > I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
            > way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
            > of the slug, I guess that's a good thing.

            oops, my mistake, sorry. it wasn't showing the mac address of the slug at
            all, it was the mac address of the router port (red faced).

            I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
            > where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
            > hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
            > Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
            > Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
            > see what traffic appears.

            ok I did that. I connected the slug to my (windows) laptop with a crossover
            cable, I gave the network port the address 192.168.0.2. Started up wireshark
            and then booted the slug. This is what I got:
            (wireshark pcap file)
            http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugoot2.pcap
            again mixed in there are three dhcp pings (0.0.0.0) present which I'm sure
            are from the Linksys device. Problem is that even when connected to a dhcp
            server the Linksys doesn't pick up an ip address.

            If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
            > redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
            > described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
            > -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

            that circles back to the problem. This slug will not pick up an ip address
            so I can't telnet anything. I've pinged 192.168.1.77 loads of times...get
            nothing. I've checked and checked and checked again and I've done scans for
            an ip address using netscan.exe but there is never an ip address for the
            Linksys.
            Right now I'm scrounging round to find if/where I can buy an jtag cable for
            this device. I think that's the only way to go now.
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
              allan-46 wrote:
              > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
              > 132-9311
              > FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

              ah that sounds promising, I'll check that out and thanks for the advice.
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                allan-46 wrote:

                > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                > 132-9311

                ah ok thanks. Did you actually use this cable to restore a Linksys NSLU2?
              • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                  Ok, this is getting really quite out-of-hand. I'm not sure which
                  problem you are wanting solved, and I'm quite sure that the direction
                  this thread has taken is going to waste a lot of your time and your money.

                  Firstly, figure out what problem you want to solve, and lets focus on that.

                  ----

                  A) You sent a description, and video clip, that indicates that the NSLU2
                  boots up, beeps, but cannot be found on the network.

                  B) You've sent a lot of packet captures containing DHCP requests.

                  C) You are unable to enter upgrade mode.

                  ----

                  The information in (A) indicates that the device is functioning as
                  expected, with the exception that it cannot be found on the network. If
                  this is the situation, there is a specific set of things we should do in
                  sequence to progressively debug the problem. In general, we would like
                  to confirm that the network port is functional from a hardware
                  point-of-view, and we'd like to confirm that we can reach it through the
                  router.

                  The information in (B) is, to date, a complete red herring. Firstly,
                  we're assuming (there's no evidence whatever) that the NSLU2 is, in
                  fact, attempting DHCP. None of the packet captures show what they claim
                  to show, quite frankly. But if we want to pursue this, we'd need more
                  specific information -- such as the serial number of the NSLU2, which
                  contains the last 3 octets of the MAC address -- and a completely
                  private network consisting of nothing but a host system, the NSLU2, and
                  a switch. Oh - and new cables. But even so, the absence of DHCP
                  queries from the device is not a problem. If it was set to a fixed IP
                  before, it is set to the same fixed IP now, so of course it won't DHCP.

                  Option (C) seems to be driven by panic at this point. It was originally
                  raised in order to add evidence that the device won't talk on the
                  network. Somehow from there we've gotten to talking about the device
                  being "bricked" and rushing off to purchase JTAG hardware (!!). How on
                  earth did that happen?? The device is NOT bricked! There's still value
                  in entering upgrade mode, though -- upgrade mode is driven by the
                  bootloader, and its IP address cannot be changed. Therefore, it serves
                  to remove variables from the testing process -- i.e. if we can enter
                  upgrade mode, and one of the upgrade utilities can "find" the device on
                  the network, then we know that the device is functioning, that the
                  network hardware is ok on the NSLU2, and that our cables and switch are
                  all ok. I'll also take this opportunity to mention that there is only
                  ONE documented case of a device being unable to enter upgrade mode by
                  the reset button, and that was a case where the reset button was
                  damaged. So, testing that the reset button works is easy, and once we
                  confirm that works, then it's simply timing and patience that will get
                  the device into upgrade mode.

                  ---------

                  So, which of the above do you want to work on? Do you want to work on
                  finding the device on the network with the existing firmware (A), or do
                  you want to continue to try to find evidence of its MAC address on the
                  network for some reason (B), or do you want to try to reflash some
                  firmware image (C)?

                  Then let's focus on that single problem, and work it slowly and
                  logically to a resolution (rather than the shotgun approach).

                  -Mike (mwester)
                • tonjg
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                    a breakthrough.
                    I'm in.
                    I actually managed to get the slug into upgrade mode, but what was different
                    this time is I had no network cable plugged in. In the past when trying to
                    get this mode I had the network cable plugged in and it never worked.
                    Anyway, once I had the light in alternating colours I plugged in a cable and
                    did the upslug2 thing and it picked up the slug, so I then did:
                    # upslug2 --target="00:18:39:a5:89:9a" --image="Unslung-6.10-beta.bin" and
                    it flashed up new firmware. After much faffing about I finally got the web
                    interface up so I'm kind of back where I started, except this time I have an
                    unslung logo in the upper left hand corner.
                    Don't know what to do next now so it's back to the documents...

                    thanks for all your help.
                  • tonjg
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                      sdm485 wrote:

                      > Curious about the reset into upgrade not working;

                      if it benefits anyone else, this is what happens with my slug. The stuff on
                      the wiki about a red flashing light is baloney. I get an orange light, and
                      then after about ten seconds I get a tiny tiny variation on the orange. The
                      light goes slightly dimmer and thats when I release the reset button and
                      that's when the upgrade mode works. But the difference between the two is
                      really really hard to spot, and it only works if there is no network cable
                      connected.

                    • Stephen Miller
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                        For the record, I think the wiki has a reasonable explanation about the LED colors when going into upgrade mode.

                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

                        If you wish to clarify it please do. I have early units and you have later units. The bit about the network connection is definitely new to me (my early units don't care if the network cable is connected or not) and it would be good to add it to the wiki.

                        Steve