Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

  • Stephen Miller
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
      I installed slugosbe 5.3 beta using upslug2 on a debian machine. I put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode by holding reset and turning it on. When the top LED changed, I immediately released reset.

      Entering 'upslug2' at the command line of the linux box displayed the slug in upgrade mode. I then entered the command 'upslug2 -i ./slugosbe-5.3-beta-nslu2.bin and let it do its' thing. It rebooted automatically but I could not contact the device. I then powered it down and back up and could contact it. It did not like the default password and I hooked up the serial port to try that way. It turned out the unit wanted the old NSLU2 password.

      'df' on the slug shows lots of space available so that previous concern about no space was bogus; sorry about that.

      Steve

      On 10-12-19 12:43 PM, tonjg wrote:

      sdm485 wrote:

      > Nice video. That looks exactly like a perfectly happy slugos boot. It
      > should be on the wiki! Is it possible that the ethernet cable has a
      > damaged tip such that one of the plastic separators has closed?

      no the same cable worked perfectly before and I've also tried a different
      cable.

      Curious about the reset into upgrade not working; perhaps a non
      > functional reset button. You may have to consider adding the serial
      > cable to the thing to find out what the problem is.

      do you know where I can buy the right cable? I'm in the UK.

    • hivi56
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
        Your wireshark file says "Option: (t=50,l=4) Requested IP Address = 172.16.0.5".
        Maybe your slug got this address - did you already try to ping it?

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, tonjg <tonj@...> wrote:

        > if I connect the slug directly to a pc and boot it up this is what I get:
        > (wireshark file)
        > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.dat
        > screenshot)
        > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.png

      • tonjg
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
          hivi56 wrote:

          > Your wireshark file says "Option: (t=50,l=4) Requested IP Address =
          > 172.16.0.5".
          > Maybe your slug got this address - did you already try to ping it?

          yes thanks I checked that, 172.16.0.5 was my other pc on the network

        • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
            On 12/19/2010 1:33 PM, tonjg wrote:

            > Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
            >>
            >> Do you see replies to the DCHP requests? Can you post the traffic that
            >> you do see, so we can try to help?
            >
            > if I connect the slug directly to a pc and boot it up this is what I get:
            > (wireshark file)
            > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.dat
            > screenshot)
            > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.png

            There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
            MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
            few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
            first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
            captured by wireshark.

            > -- is that the sercomm upgrade
            >> utility --
            >
            > I tried both all_router_utility.zip (837 KB) and Upgrade_207_XP.zip (894 KB)
            > but got nowhere with either.
            >
            > But anyway, the fact that it can't find the NSLU2 indicates that either
            >> you have network problems (bad cable? bad port on a switch or router?
            >> are your hosts and the NSLU2 on the same side of a routed network
            >> segment?), or that you weren't in upgrade mode to begin with
            >
            > cables are ok. I use a cisco router and if I do 'show int Fa-xxx' in the
            > router the console shows the mac address of the slug which means the router
            > can see it.

            Ok, I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
            way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
            of the slug, I guess that's a good thing. Is it cached from a long time
            ago, though? Or does that command do some sort of arp? Or is doing
            something else? No matter. The issue, at this point, boils down to:
            a) how do we know that the NSLU2 is sending DHCP packets? (The trace
            shows no NSLU2 packets)
            b) how do we know that whatever host is running wireshark is seeing all
            packets (most switches will filter packets not intended for the host on
            that particular port -- which would mean that one could see the DHCP
            broadcasts, but not the replies).

            > I'm getting a feeling this slug is bricked and maybe I have to
            > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where can I buy
            > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the right one
            > on ebay. I'm in the UK.

            A bricked unit will not be capable of sending anything on the wire - it
            won't boot at all. So as long as you see LEDs doing something (other
            than the Ethernet LED, of course), it's not bricked.

            I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
            where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
            hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
            Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
            Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
            see what traffic appears.

            If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
            redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
            described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
            -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

            -Mike (mwester)
          • Hardy Griech
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
              On 20.12.2010 04:54, Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
              :
              > There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
              > MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
              > few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
              > first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
              > captured by wireshark.
              :

              Why should the packets get captured in a switched network?

              I would recommend to analyse the log of the router (it was a cisco) and
              turn on debugging/verbose logging if possible.

              Hardy
            • allan
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where
                > can I buy
                > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the
                > right one
                > on ebay. I'm in the UK.
                > --

                I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                132-9311

                FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

                Note - 'USB'

                Allan
              • tonjg
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                  Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
                  > I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
                  > way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
                  > of the slug, I guess that's a good thing.

                  oops, my mistake, sorry. it wasn't showing the mac address of the slug at
                  all, it was the mac address of the router port (red faced).

                  I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
                  > where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
                  > hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
                  > Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
                  > Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
                  > see what traffic appears.

                  ok I did that. I connected the slug to my (windows) laptop with a crossover
                  cable, I gave the network port the address 192.168.0.2. Started up wireshark
                  and then booted the slug. This is what I got:
                  (wireshark pcap file)
                  http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugoot2.pcap
                  again mixed in there are three dhcp pings (0.0.0.0) present which I'm sure
                  are from the Linksys device. Problem is that even when connected to a dhcp
                  server the Linksys doesn't pick up an ip address.

                  If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
                  > redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
                  > described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
                  > -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

                  that circles back to the problem. This slug will not pick up an ip address
                  so I can't telnet anything. I've pinged 192.168.1.77 loads of times...get
                  nothing. I've checked and checked and checked again and I've done scans for
                  an ip address using netscan.exe but there is never an ip address for the
                  Linksys.
                  Right now I'm scrounging round to find if/where I can buy an jtag cable for
                  this device. I think that's the only way to go now.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                    allan-46 wrote:
                    > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                    > 132-9311
                    > FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

                    ah that sounds promising, I'll check that out and thanks for the advice.
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                      allan-46 wrote:

                      > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                      > 132-9311

                      ah ok thanks. Did you actually use this cable to restore a Linksys NSLU2?
                    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                        Ok, this is getting really quite out-of-hand. I'm not sure which
                        problem you are wanting solved, and I'm quite sure that the direction
                        this thread has taken is going to waste a lot of your time and your money.

                        Firstly, figure out what problem you want to solve, and lets focus on that.

                        ----

                        A) You sent a description, and video clip, that indicates that the NSLU2
                        boots up, beeps, but cannot be found on the network.

                        B) You've sent a lot of packet captures containing DHCP requests.

                        C) You are unable to enter upgrade mode.

                        ----

                        The information in (A) indicates that the device is functioning as
                        expected, with the exception that it cannot be found on the network. If
                        this is the situation, there is a specific set of things we should do in
                        sequence to progressively debug the problem. In general, we would like
                        to confirm that the network port is functional from a hardware
                        point-of-view, and we'd like to confirm that we can reach it through the
                        router.

                        The information in (B) is, to date, a complete red herring. Firstly,
                        we're assuming (there's no evidence whatever) that the NSLU2 is, in
                        fact, attempting DHCP. None of the packet captures show what they claim
                        to show, quite frankly. But if we want to pursue this, we'd need more
                        specific information -- such as the serial number of the NSLU2, which
                        contains the last 3 octets of the MAC address -- and a completely
                        private network consisting of nothing but a host system, the NSLU2, and
                        a switch. Oh - and new cables. But even so, the absence of DHCP
                        queries from the device is not a problem. If it was set to a fixed IP
                        before, it is set to the same fixed IP now, so of course it won't DHCP.

                        Option (C) seems to be driven by panic at this point. It was originally
                        raised in order to add evidence that the device won't talk on the
                        network. Somehow from there we've gotten to talking about the device
                        being "bricked" and rushing off to purchase JTAG hardware (!!). How on
                        earth did that happen?? The device is NOT bricked! There's still value
                        in entering upgrade mode, though -- upgrade mode is driven by the
                        bootloader, and its IP address cannot be changed. Therefore, it serves
                        to remove variables from the testing process -- i.e. if we can enter
                        upgrade mode, and one of the upgrade utilities can "find" the device on
                        the network, then we know that the device is functioning, that the
                        network hardware is ok on the NSLU2, and that our cables and switch are
                        all ok. I'll also take this opportunity to mention that there is only
                        ONE documented case of a device being unable to enter upgrade mode by
                        the reset button, and that was a case where the reset button was
                        damaged. So, testing that the reset button works is easy, and once we
                        confirm that works, then it's simply timing and patience that will get
                        the device into upgrade mode.

                        ---------

                        So, which of the above do you want to work on? Do you want to work on
                        finding the device on the network with the existing firmware (A), or do
                        you want to continue to try to find evidence of its MAC address on the
                        network for some reason (B), or do you want to try to reflash some
                        firmware image (C)?

                        Then let's focus on that single problem, and work it slowly and
                        logically to a resolution (rather than the shotgun approach).

                        -Mike (mwester)
                      • tonjg
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                          a breakthrough.
                          I'm in.
                          I actually managed to get the slug into upgrade mode, but what was different
                          this time is I had no network cable plugged in. In the past when trying to
                          get this mode I had the network cable plugged in and it never worked.
                          Anyway, once I had the light in alternating colours I plugged in a cable and
                          did the upslug2 thing and it picked up the slug, so I then did:
                          # upslug2 --target="00:18:39:a5:89:9a" --image="Unslung-6.10-beta.bin" and
                          it flashed up new firmware. After much faffing about I finally got the web
                          interface up so I'm kind of back where I started, except this time I have an
                          unslung logo in the upper left hand corner.
                          Don't know what to do next now so it's back to the documents...

                          thanks for all your help.
                        • tonjg
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                            sdm485 wrote:

                            > Curious about the reset into upgrade not working;

                            if it benefits anyone else, this is what happens with my slug. The stuff on
                            the wiki about a red flashing light is baloney. I get an orange light, and
                            then after about ten seconds I get a tiny tiny variation on the orange. The
                            light goes slightly dimmer and thats when I release the reset button and
                            that's when the upgrade mode works. But the difference between the two is
                            really really hard to spot, and it only works if there is no network cable
                            connected.

                          • Stephen Miller
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                              For the record, I think the wiki has a reasonable explanation about the LED colors when going into upgrade mode.

                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

                              If you wish to clarify it please do. I have early units and you have later units. The bit about the network connection is definitely new to me (my early units don't care if the network cable is connected or not) and it would be good to add it to the wiki.

                              Steve