Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

  • tonjg
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
      sdm485 wrote:

      > Nice video. That looks exactly like a perfectly happy slugos boot. It
      > should be on the wiki! Is it possible that the ethernet cable has a
      > damaged tip such that one of the plastic separators has closed?

      no the same cable worked perfectly before and I've also tried a different
      cable.

      Curious about the reset into upgrade not working; perhaps a non
      > functional reset button. You may have to consider adding the serial
      > cable to the thing to find out what the problem is.

      do you know where I can buy the right cable? I'm in the UK.
    • Stephen Miller
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
        I found mine in a bargain bin at a Radio Shack (a long time ago I guess...). It is a USB to Serial cable from a cellphone. The driving chip is a  PL2303. I suppose any USB<>serial can be modified BUT you must not feed RS232 level signals onto the PCB. The signals of the NSLU PCB are low level only. Seems to me that you could hack into a USB<>serial cable before the RS232 drivers and get something going.

        I think I saw a disk light on in the video and suggest you remove that for now. It should happily boot without it and it removes one more possible issue. Also, the red/green blink is ambiguous in later units and looked more like orange and not so orange. My units are early ones. If I hold in reset and then power it up, the top LED goes red about 9-10 seconds in. I then immediately release reset and it sits there with the top led blinking.

        Finally, I did see some versions of Slugos that had so much stuff in the firmware that there was no place for the system to store things itself (it wanted to right some info to flash storage I think). It is possible that this is a issue but I can't confirm that yet. This may be completely irrelevant now but I did see it once and fixed it by building an image with some things left out.
        Steve

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
          I installed slugosbe 5.3 beta using upslug2 on a debian machine. I put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode by holding reset and turning it on. When the top LED changed, I immediately released reset.

          Entering 'upslug2' at the command line of the linux box displayed the slug in upgrade mode. I then entered the command 'upslug2 -i ./slugosbe-5.3-beta-nslu2.bin and let it do its' thing. It rebooted automatically but I could not contact the device. I then powered it down and back up and could contact it. It did not like the default password and I hooked up the serial port to try that way. It turned out the unit wanted the old NSLU2 password.

          'df' on the slug shows lots of space available so that previous concern about no space was bogus; sorry about that.

          sdm485 wrote:

          > Nice video. That looks exactly like a perfectly happy slugos boot. It
          > should be on the wiki! Is it possible that the ethernet cable has a
          > damaged tip such that one of the plastic separators has closed?

          no the same cable worked perfectly before and I've also tried a different
          cable.

          Curious about the reset into upgrade not working; perhaps a non
          > functional reset button. You may have to consider adding the serial
          > cable to the thing to find out what the problem is.

          do you know where I can buy the right cable? I'm in the UK.

        • hivi56
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
            Your wireshark file says "Option: (t=50,l=4) Requested IP Address = 172.16.0.5".
            Maybe your slug got this address - did you already try to ping it?

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, tonjg <tonj@...> wrote:

            > if I connect the slug directly to a pc and boot it up this is what I get:
            > (wireshark file)
            > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.dat
            > screenshot)
            > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.png

          • tonjg
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
              hivi56 wrote:

              > Your wireshark file says "Option: (t=50,l=4) Requested IP Address =
              > 172.16.0.5".
              > Maybe your slug got this address - did you already try to ping it?

              yes thanks I checked that, 172.16.0.5 was my other pc on the network

            • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                On 12/19/2010 1:33 PM, tonjg wrote:

                > Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
                >>
                >> Do you see replies to the DCHP requests? Can you post the traffic that
                >> you do see, so we can try to help?
                >
                > if I connect the slug directly to a pc and boot it up this is what I get:
                > (wireshark file)
                > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.dat
                > screenshot)
                > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.png

                There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
                MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
                few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
                first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
                captured by wireshark.

                > -- is that the sercomm upgrade
                >> utility --
                >
                > I tried both all_router_utility.zip (837 KB) and Upgrade_207_XP.zip (894 KB)
                > but got nowhere with either.
                >
                > But anyway, the fact that it can't find the NSLU2 indicates that either
                >> you have network problems (bad cable? bad port on a switch or router?
                >> are your hosts and the NSLU2 on the same side of a routed network
                >> segment?), or that you weren't in upgrade mode to begin with
                >
                > cables are ok. I use a cisco router and if I do 'show int Fa-xxx' in the
                > router the console shows the mac address of the slug which means the router
                > can see it.

                Ok, I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
                way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
                of the slug, I guess that's a good thing. Is it cached from a long time
                ago, though? Or does that command do some sort of arp? Or is doing
                something else? No matter. The issue, at this point, boils down to:
                a) how do we know that the NSLU2 is sending DHCP packets? (The trace
                shows no NSLU2 packets)
                b) how do we know that whatever host is running wireshark is seeing all
                packets (most switches will filter packets not intended for the host on
                that particular port -- which would mean that one could see the DHCP
                broadcasts, but not the replies).

                > I'm getting a feeling this slug is bricked and maybe I have to
                > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where can I buy
                > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the right one
                > on ebay. I'm in the UK.

                A bricked unit will not be capable of sending anything on the wire - it
                won't boot at all. So as long as you see LEDs doing something (other
                than the Ethernet LED, of course), it's not bricked.

                I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
                where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
                hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
                Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
                Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
                see what traffic appears.

                If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
                redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
                described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
                -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

                -Mike (mwester)
              • Hardy Griech
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                  On 20.12.2010 04:54, Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
                  :
                  > There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
                  > MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
                  > few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
                  > first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
                  > captured by wireshark.
                  :

                  Why should the packets get captured in a switched network?

                  I would recommend to analyse the log of the router (it was a cisco) and
                  turn on debugging/verbose logging if possible.

                  Hardy
                • allan
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                    > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where
                    > can I buy
                    > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the
                    > right one
                    > on ebay. I'm in the UK.
                    > --

                    I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                    132-9311

                    FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

                    Note - 'USB'

                    Allan
                  • tonjg
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                      Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
                      > I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
                      > way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
                      > of the slug, I guess that's a good thing.

                      oops, my mistake, sorry. it wasn't showing the mac address of the slug at
                      all, it was the mac address of the router port (red faced).

                      I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
                      > where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
                      > hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
                      > Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
                      > Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
                      > see what traffic appears.

                      ok I did that. I connected the slug to my (windows) laptop with a crossover
                      cable, I gave the network port the address 192.168.0.2. Started up wireshark
                      and then booted the slug. This is what I got:
                      (wireshark pcap file)
                      http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugoot2.pcap
                      again mixed in there are three dhcp pings (0.0.0.0) present which I'm sure
                      are from the Linksys device. Problem is that even when connected to a dhcp
                      server the Linksys doesn't pick up an ip address.

                      If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
                      > redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
                      > described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
                      > -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

                      that circles back to the problem. This slug will not pick up an ip address
                      so I can't telnet anything. I've pinged 192.168.1.77 loads of times...get
                      nothing. I've checked and checked and checked again and I've done scans for
                      an ip address using netscan.exe but there is never an ip address for the
                      Linksys.
                      Right now I'm scrounging round to find if/where I can buy an jtag cable for
                      this device. I think that's the only way to go now.
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                        allan-46 wrote:
                        > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                        > 132-9311
                        > FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

                        ah that sounds promising, I'll check that out and thanks for the advice.
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                          allan-46 wrote:

                          > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                          > 132-9311

                          ah ok thanks. Did you actually use this cable to restore a Linksys NSLU2?
                        • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                            Ok, this is getting really quite out-of-hand. I'm not sure which
                            problem you are wanting solved, and I'm quite sure that the direction
                            this thread has taken is going to waste a lot of your time and your money.

                            Firstly, figure out what problem you want to solve, and lets focus on that.

                            ----

                            A) You sent a description, and video clip, that indicates that the NSLU2
                            boots up, beeps, but cannot be found on the network.

                            B) You've sent a lot of packet captures containing DHCP requests.

                            C) You are unable to enter upgrade mode.

                            ----

                            The information in (A) indicates that the device is functioning as
                            expected, with the exception that it cannot be found on the network. If
                            this is the situation, there is a specific set of things we should do in
                            sequence to progressively debug the problem. In general, we would like
                            to confirm that the network port is functional from a hardware
                            point-of-view, and we'd like to confirm that we can reach it through the
                            router.

                            The information in (B) is, to date, a complete red herring. Firstly,
                            we're assuming (there's no evidence whatever) that the NSLU2 is, in
                            fact, attempting DHCP. None of the packet captures show what they claim
                            to show, quite frankly. But if we want to pursue this, we'd need more
                            specific information -- such as the serial number of the NSLU2, which
                            contains the last 3 octets of the MAC address -- and a completely
                            private network consisting of nothing but a host system, the NSLU2, and
                            a switch. Oh - and new cables. But even so, the absence of DHCP
                            queries from the device is not a problem. If it was set to a fixed IP
                            before, it is set to the same fixed IP now, so of course it won't DHCP.

                            Option (C) seems to be driven by panic at this point. It was originally
                            raised in order to add evidence that the device won't talk on the
                            network. Somehow from there we've gotten to talking about the device
                            being "bricked" and rushing off to purchase JTAG hardware (!!). How on
                            earth did that happen?? The device is NOT bricked! There's still value
                            in entering upgrade mode, though -- upgrade mode is driven by the
                            bootloader, and its IP address cannot be changed. Therefore, it serves
                            to remove variables from the testing process -- i.e. if we can enter
                            upgrade mode, and one of the upgrade utilities can "find" the device on
                            the network, then we know that the device is functioning, that the
                            network hardware is ok on the NSLU2, and that our cables and switch are
                            all ok. I'll also take this opportunity to mention that there is only
                            ONE documented case of a device being unable to enter upgrade mode by
                            the reset button, and that was a case where the reset button was
                            damaged. So, testing that the reset button works is easy, and once we
                            confirm that works, then it's simply timing and patience that will get
                            the device into upgrade mode.

                            ---------

                            So, which of the above do you want to work on? Do you want to work on
                            finding the device on the network with the existing firmware (A), or do
                            you want to continue to try to find evidence of its MAC address on the
                            network for some reason (B), or do you want to try to reflash some
                            firmware image (C)?

                            Then let's focus on that single problem, and work it slowly and
                            logically to a resolution (rather than the shotgun approach).

                            -Mike (mwester)
                          • tonjg
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                              a breakthrough.
                              I'm in.
                              I actually managed to get the slug into upgrade mode, but what was different
                              this time is I had no network cable plugged in. In the past when trying to
                              get this mode I had the network cable plugged in and it never worked.
                              Anyway, once I had the light in alternating colours I plugged in a cable and
                              did the upslug2 thing and it picked up the slug, so I then did:
                              # upslug2 --target="00:18:39:a5:89:9a" --image="Unslung-6.10-beta.bin" and
                              it flashed up new firmware. After much faffing about I finally got the web
                              interface up so I'm kind of back where I started, except this time I have an
                              unslung logo in the upper left hand corner.
                              Don't know what to do next now so it's back to the documents...

                              thanks for all your help.
                            • tonjg
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                                sdm485 wrote:

                                > Curious about the reset into upgrade not working;

                                if it benefits anyone else, this is what happens with my slug. The stuff on
                                the wiki about a red flashing light is baloney. I get an orange light, and
                                then after about ten seconds I get a tiny tiny variation on the orange. The
                                light goes slightly dimmer and thats when I release the reset button and
                                that's when the upgrade mode works. But the difference between the two is
                                really really hard to spot, and it only works if there is no network cable
                                connected.

                              • Stephen Miller
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                                  For the record, I think the wiki has a reasonable explanation about the LED colors when going into upgrade mode.

                                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

                                  If you wish to clarify it please do. I have early units and you have later units. The bit about the network connection is definitely new to me (my early units don't care if the network cable is connected or not) and it would be good to add it to the wiki.

                                  Steve