Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

  • Stephen Miller
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
      Nice video. That looks exactly like a perfectly happy slugos boot. It should be on the wiki! Is it possible that the ethernet cable has a damaged tip such that one of the plastic separators has closed? Also, the cable that came with one of my units was bad right off the top.

      The good news is that the thing is very functional indeed but there is a communication issue via Ethernet. From your previous emails, I suspect a cable issue such that the slug can send Ethernet but does not seem to be listening.

      Curious about the reset into upgrade not working; perhaps a non functional reset button. You may have to consider adding the serial cable to the thing to find out what the problem is.

      I will duplicate your process and see what I find out.
      Steve

      On 10-12-19 12:08 PM, tonjg wrote:

      sdm485 wrote:

      > Can you confirm that you are getting the slug into upgrade mode? If it
      > is not in that mode, upslug2 will never see it. You hold the reset
      > button in while turning it on and after about 10-15seconds, the top LED
      > starts blinking between red and green. You must release the reset button
      > immediately upon seeing the first LED change.

      yes I've read and re-read the upgrade article and tried the upgrade many
      times but my slug will not do what its supposed to. During the boot,
      regardless of whether the reset button is pressed in or not I never get the
      top led blinking red and green. Never. The only lights I get are either
      blinking orange or blinking green. Pressing the reset button in makes no
      difference to the startup sequence of the slug. Here is a little video of
      the boot sequence. (5Mb)
      http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.avi

    • tonjg
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
        Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:

        > The SlugOS firmware uses whatever settings were left behind by the
        > previous Linksys, Unslung, or SlugOS firmware. So if it had a fixed IP
        > address before, it has the same one now. If it was set to DHCP, it will
        > DHCP (although not all routers will issue the same IP address after the
        > firmware change).
        >
        > Ping will work, but telnet will not -- you need to us an SSH client for
        > SlugOS.

        thats exactly my problem, ping does not work. I cannot get an ip address on
        this slug. Before running the flash upgrade the ip was 192.168.1.77 but now
        that doesn't respond. Please see previous post for wireshark activity during
        boot.
      • tonjg
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
          sdm485 wrote:

          > Nice video. That looks exactly like a perfectly happy slugos boot. It
          > should be on the wiki! Is it possible that the ethernet cable has a
          > damaged tip such that one of the plastic separators has closed?

          no the same cable worked perfectly before and I've also tried a different
          cable.

          Curious about the reset into upgrade not working; perhaps a non
          > functional reset button. You may have to consider adding the serial
          > cable to the thing to find out what the problem is.

          do you know where I can buy the right cable? I'm in the UK.
        • Stephen Miller
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
            I found mine in a bargain bin at a Radio Shack (a long time ago I guess...). It is a USB to Serial cable from a cellphone. The driving chip is a  PL2303. I suppose any USB<>serial can be modified BUT you must not feed RS232 level signals onto the PCB. The signals of the NSLU PCB are low level only. Seems to me that you could hack into a USB<>serial cable before the RS232 drivers and get something going.

            I think I saw a disk light on in the video and suggest you remove that for now. It should happily boot without it and it removes one more possible issue. Also, the red/green blink is ambiguous in later units and looked more like orange and not so orange. My units are early ones. If I hold in reset and then power it up, the top LED goes red about 9-10 seconds in. I then immediately release reset and it sits there with the top led blinking.

            Finally, I did see some versions of Slugos that had so much stuff in the firmware that there was no place for the system to store things itself (it wanted to right some info to flash storage I think). It is possible that this is a issue but I can't confirm that yet. This may be completely irrelevant now but I did see it once and fixed it by building an image with some things left out.
            Steve

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
              I installed slugosbe 5.3 beta using upslug2 on a debian machine. I put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode by holding reset and turning it on. When the top LED changed, I immediately released reset.

              Entering 'upslug2' at the command line of the linux box displayed the slug in upgrade mode. I then entered the command 'upslug2 -i ./slugosbe-5.3-beta-nslu2.bin and let it do its' thing. It rebooted automatically but I could not contact the device. I then powered it down and back up and could contact it. It did not like the default password and I hooked up the serial port to try that way. It turned out the unit wanted the old NSLU2 password.

              'df' on the slug shows lots of space available so that previous concern about no space was bogus; sorry about that.

              sdm485 wrote:

              > Nice video. That looks exactly like a perfectly happy slugos boot. It
              > should be on the wiki! Is it possible that the ethernet cable has a
              > damaged tip such that one of the plastic separators has closed?

              no the same cable worked perfectly before and I've also tried a different
              cable.

              Curious about the reset into upgrade not working; perhaps a non
              > functional reset button. You may have to consider adding the serial
              > cable to the thing to find out what the problem is.

              do you know where I can buy the right cable? I'm in the UK.

            • hivi56
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                Your wireshark file says "Option: (t=50,l=4) Requested IP Address = 172.16.0.5".
                Maybe your slug got this address - did you already try to ping it?

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, tonjg <tonj@...> wrote:

                > if I connect the slug directly to a pc and boot it up this is what I get:
                > (wireshark file)
                > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.dat
                > screenshot)
                > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.png

              • tonjg
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                  hivi56 wrote:

                  > Your wireshark file says "Option: (t=50,l=4) Requested IP Address =
                  > 172.16.0.5".
                  > Maybe your slug got this address - did you already try to ping it?

                  yes thanks I checked that, 172.16.0.5 was my other pc on the network

                • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                    On 12/19/2010 1:33 PM, tonjg wrote:

                    > Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Do you see replies to the DCHP requests? Can you post the traffic that
                    >> you do see, so we can try to help?
                    >
                    > if I connect the slug directly to a pc and boot it up this is what I get:
                    > (wireshark file)
                    > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.dat
                    > screenshot)
                    > http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugbootup.png

                    There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
                    MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
                    few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
                    first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
                    captured by wireshark.

                    > -- is that the sercomm upgrade
                    >> utility --
                    >
                    > I tried both all_router_utility.zip (837 KB) and Upgrade_207_XP.zip (894 KB)
                    > but got nowhere with either.
                    >
                    > But anyway, the fact that it can't find the NSLU2 indicates that either
                    >> you have network problems (bad cable? bad port on a switch or router?
                    >> are your hosts and the NSLU2 on the same side of a routed network
                    >> segment?), or that you weren't in upgrade mode to begin with
                    >
                    > cables are ok. I use a cisco router and if I do 'show int Fa-xxx' in the
                    > router the console shows the mac address of the slug which means the router
                    > can see it.

                    Ok, I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
                    way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
                    of the slug, I guess that's a good thing. Is it cached from a long time
                    ago, though? Or does that command do some sort of arp? Or is doing
                    something else? No matter. The issue, at this point, boils down to:
                    a) how do we know that the NSLU2 is sending DHCP packets? (The trace
                    shows no NSLU2 packets)
                    b) how do we know that whatever host is running wireshark is seeing all
                    packets (most switches will filter packets not intended for the host on
                    that particular port -- which would mean that one could see the DHCP
                    broadcasts, but not the replies).

                    > I'm getting a feeling this slug is bricked and maybe I have to
                    > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where can I buy
                    > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the right one
                    > on ebay. I'm in the UK.

                    A bricked unit will not be capable of sending anything on the wire - it
                    won't boot at all. So as long as you see LEDs doing something (other
                    than the Ethernet LED, of course), it's not bricked.

                    I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
                    where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
                    hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
                    Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
                    Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
                    see what traffic appears.

                    If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
                    redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
                    described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
                    -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

                    -Mike (mwester)
                  • Hardy Griech
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                      On 20.12.2010 04:54, Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
                      :
                      > There are no packets from an NSLU2 in that wireshark trace -- the NSLU2
                      > MAC address starts with 00:0f:xx:xx:xx:xx. Actually I think there are
                      > few more octets that are fixed, but your trace doesn't even have those
                      > first two octets in it, so if any packets were sent, they weren't
                      > captured by wireshark.
                      :

                      Why should the packets get captured in a switched network?

                      I would recommend to analyse the log of the router (it was a cisco) and
                      turn on debugging/verbose logging if possible.

                      Hardy
                    • allan
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                        > do the jtag thing which leads me to the obvious question: where
                        > can I buy
                        > the right cable? I don't want to make one and I couldn't see the
                        > right one
                        > on ebay. I'm in the UK.
                        > --

                        I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                        132-9311

                        FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

                        Note - 'USB'

                        Allan
                      • tonjg
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                          Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
                          > I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
                          > way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
                          > of the slug, I guess that's a good thing.

                          oops, my mistake, sorry. it wasn't showing the mac address of the slug at
                          all, it was the mac address of the router port (red faced).

                          I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
                          > where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
                          > hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
                          > Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
                          > Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
                          > see what traffic appears.

                          ok I did that. I connected the slug to my (windows) laptop with a crossover
                          cable, I gave the network port the address 192.168.0.2. Started up wireshark
                          and then booted the slug. This is what I got:
                          (wireshark pcap file)
                          http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugoot2.pcap
                          again mixed in there are three dhcp pings (0.0.0.0) present which I'm sure
                          are from the Linksys device. Problem is that even when connected to a dhcp
                          server the Linksys doesn't pick up an ip address.

                          If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
                          > redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
                          > described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
                          > -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

                          that circles back to the problem. This slug will not pick up an ip address
                          so I can't telnet anything. I've pinged 192.168.1.77 loads of times...get
                          nothing. I've checked and checked and checked again and I've done scans for
                          an ip address using netscan.exe but there is never an ip address for the
                          Linksys.
                          Right now I'm scrounging round to find if/where I can buy an jtag cable for
                          this device. I think that's the only way to go now.
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                            allan-46 wrote:
                            > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                            > 132-9311
                            > FTDI - TTL-232R-3V3 - CABLE, USB TO TTL LEVEL, SERI CONVERTER

                            ah that sounds promising, I'll check that out and thanks for the advice.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                              allan-46 wrote:

                              > I got mine from Farnell Electronics about 18 months ago (14.50 GBP) code
                              > 132-9311

                              ah ok thanks. Did you actually use this cable to restore a Linksys NSLU2?
                            • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                                Ok, this is getting really quite out-of-hand. I'm not sure which
                                problem you are wanting solved, and I'm quite sure that the direction
                                this thread has taken is going to waste a lot of your time and your money.

                                Firstly, figure out what problem you want to solve, and lets focus on that.

                                ----

                                A) You sent a description, and video clip, that indicates that the NSLU2
                                boots up, beeps, but cannot be found on the network.

                                B) You've sent a lot of packet captures containing DHCP requests.

                                C) You are unable to enter upgrade mode.

                                ----

                                The information in (A) indicates that the device is functioning as
                                expected, with the exception that it cannot be found on the network. If
                                this is the situation, there is a specific set of things we should do in
                                sequence to progressively debug the problem. In general, we would like
                                to confirm that the network port is functional from a hardware
                                point-of-view, and we'd like to confirm that we can reach it through the
                                router.

                                The information in (B) is, to date, a complete red herring. Firstly,
                                we're assuming (there's no evidence whatever) that the NSLU2 is, in
                                fact, attempting DHCP. None of the packet captures show what they claim
                                to show, quite frankly. But if we want to pursue this, we'd need more
                                specific information -- such as the serial number of the NSLU2, which
                                contains the last 3 octets of the MAC address -- and a completely
                                private network consisting of nothing but a host system, the NSLU2, and
                                a switch. Oh - and new cables. But even so, the absence of DHCP
                                queries from the device is not a problem. If it was set to a fixed IP
                                before, it is set to the same fixed IP now, so of course it won't DHCP.

                                Option (C) seems to be driven by panic at this point. It was originally
                                raised in order to add evidence that the device won't talk on the
                                network. Somehow from there we've gotten to talking about the device
                                being "bricked" and rushing off to purchase JTAG hardware (!!). How on
                                earth did that happen?? The device is NOT bricked! There's still value
                                in entering upgrade mode, though -- upgrade mode is driven by the
                                bootloader, and its IP address cannot be changed. Therefore, it serves
                                to remove variables from the testing process -- i.e. if we can enter
                                upgrade mode, and one of the upgrade utilities can "find" the device on
                                the network, then we know that the device is functioning, that the
                                network hardware is ok on the NSLU2, and that our cables and switch are
                                all ok. I'll also take this opportunity to mention that there is only
                                ONE documented case of a device being unable to enter upgrade mode by
                                the reset button, and that was a case where the reset button was
                                damaged. So, testing that the reset button works is easy, and once we
                                confirm that works, then it's simply timing and patience that will get
                                the device into upgrade mode.

                                ---------

                                So, which of the above do you want to work on? Do you want to work on
                                finding the device on the network with the existing firmware (A), or do
                                you want to continue to try to find evidence of its MAC address on the
                                network for some reason (B), or do you want to try to reflash some
                                firmware image (C)?

                                Then let's focus on that single problem, and work it slowly and
                                logically to a resolution (rather than the shotgun approach).

                                -Mike (mwester)
                              • tonjg
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 20, 2010
                                  a breakthrough.
                                  I'm in.
                                  I actually managed to get the slug into upgrade mode, but what was different
                                  this time is I had no network cable plugged in. In the past when trying to
                                  get this mode I had the network cable plugged in and it never worked.
                                  Anyway, once I had the light in alternating colours I plugged in a cable and
                                  did the upslug2 thing and it picked up the slug, so I then did:
                                  # upslug2 --target="00:18:39:a5:89:9a" --image="Unslung-6.10-beta.bin" and
                                  it flashed up new firmware. After much faffing about I finally got the web
                                  interface up so I'm kind of back where I started, except this time I have an
                                  unslung logo in the upper left hand corner.
                                  Don't know what to do next now so it's back to the documents...

                                  thanks for all your help.
                                • tonjg
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                                    sdm485 wrote:

                                    > Curious about the reset into upgrade not working;

                                    if it benefits anyone else, this is what happens with my slug. The stuff on
                                    the wiki about a red flashing light is baloney. I get an orange light, and
                                    then after about ten seconds I get a tiny tiny variation on the orange. The
                                    light goes slightly dimmer and thats when I release the reset button and
                                    that's when the upgrade mode works. But the difference between the two is
                                    really really hard to spot, and it only works if there is no network cable
                                    connected.

                                  • Stephen Miller
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 21, 2010
                                      For the record, I think the wiki has a reasonable explanation about the LED colors when going into upgrade mode.

                                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

                                      If you wish to clarify it please do. I have early units and you have later units. The bit about the network connection is definitely new to me (my early units don't care if the network cable is connected or not) and it would be good to add it to the wiki.

                                      Steve