bash 3.2.49 profile problem

  • Pavel Parkhomenko
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2010
      Hello,

      I am trying to fine-tune bash at Synology DS110j.
      I created unprivileged user 'pavel' and set /opt/bin/bash as shell for
      him in /etc/passwd
      I copied /etc/profile to his $HOME/.profile and customized it -
      changed prompt and HOME.
      But it seems that bash do not read $HOME/.profile at all unless there
      are no /etc/profile.
      In /etc/profile there is HOME=/root definition while in $HOME/.profile
      HOME is defined as /var/services/homes/pavel.
      When I login either as 'root' or 'pavel' and do echo $HOME, I get /root
      The only way to get bash to read $HOME/.profile is to delete
      /etc/profile at all.
      Is there a way to fix such a behaviour?

      --
      Pavel Parkhomenko