Inaccessible slug, unusual behavior

  • assimacos
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22 5:51 AM
      Hello,

      I am running SlogOS 4.8. Rarely and irregurarly my slug has the following behavior:

      1. stops accepting ssh connections
      2. does not allow NFS connections
      3. does not allow connections to the imap server
      4. stops logging

      but

      5. it replies to ping commands
      6. port scan shows imap port open, ssh and nfs ports closed
      7. the 2 attached HD leds show normal activity (i.e. similar to when the system works normally)

      Pushing the power button does not power off the slug but Ready/Status and Ethernet leds change their behavior to continuous activity. To power off I have to pull the plug. After restoring power and pressing the power button the slug reboot normally.

      This becomes a big problem when it happens when I am away from the slug. Then I am out of service (sometimes it can be the best part of a week) until I reboot it, as mentioned above.

      It seems to me that this is not a complete crash. I would like to investigate the situation further in order to find a remedy or a way to recover remotely.

      I have thought of writing a cron script that would check if ssh is running or not and restart it if needed. But this requires cron to be running and I am not sure this is the case.

      I would appreciate any short of help on how to resolve this situation.

      Thank you.
      Antonis
    • cbm128
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23 12:12 AM
        > I am running SlogOS 4.8. Rarely and irregurarly my slug has the following behavior:
        >
        > 1. stops accepting ssh connections
        > 2. does not allow NFS connections
        > 3. does not allow connections to the imap server
        > 4. stops logging

        I would first check the power supply voltage under load.
        There is a long tradition of PSU slowly failing (due to capacitor decay), I had to replace mine with a pro unit after struggling for weeks to understand why I kept having issues with a hub connected hard drive till I realized that the provided voltage was not enough to power everything.
        The advantage of this pro PSU was that I could use it to feed the NLSU (and its current replacement the sheevaplug), the hub (and the attached 2" hd) and also a green switch (Linksys if I remember correctly) which works on just 5v.
        Also it is far more efficient than 3 cheap PSU and requires 1 power plug.

        Just my 0.000000000005 cents! ;-)

        Max