Re: Cross-compile toolchain

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
      I made the changes and after updating and running 'make setup' it started but reported missing 'chrpath' and using 'dash' instead of 'bash'. Fixed those issues and it is building the toolchain now on Ubuntu 10.10. Thanks for the help Mike.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

      > Harsh wrote:
      > >

      > > Thanks a bunch for the direction! Probably saved me a lot of pain in
      > > the process.
      > >
      > > I'll try and give it a go with the latest snapshot and tweak the OE
      > > build to see how it goes.
      > >
      > > -H
      > >
      > I just checked my autobuilder -- apparently it too is suffering from the
      > python "msg" problem. Looks like the OE folks now require at least
      > version 1.10 of bitbake. So, edit the Makefile, find the two lines that
      > reference bitbake 1.8 versions, and change them to 1.10 and 1.10.1
      > respectively. I'm not sure that SlugOS will build with this new
      > bitbake version, though.
      >
      > I'm not sure if this was an intentional change on the part of the OE
      > team; this happened in the past week and I don't recall seeing an
      > announcement from them. If it was intentional, we'll have to update the
      > master Makefile, I guess.
      >
      > -Mike

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
        The build of slugosbe-image (5.5_alpha BTW) completed with no errors. I haven't actually put it into a slug yet but thought it was worth a note.
        Thanks again for the assistance.

      • clerew5
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

          > Thanks a bunch for the direction! Probably saved me a lot of pain in the process.
          >
          > I'll try and give it a go with the latest snapshot and tweak the OE build to see how it goes.

          It is not clear to me whether you need the cross-compiler in order to compile slugos itself (or maybe additional kernel modules), or whether you just want to compile applications to run on Slugos 5.3. If it's the former, then Mike is the expert and you do what he says. But if it is the latter, then you really do not need to get involved with all the OE stuff at all.

          Even the machinery for cross compiling Optware is more complex than it needs to be IMHO.

          I have constructed a cross-compiler which will compile for both slugos 4.8 and slugos 5.3, including both big and little endian versions of each, depending on just how you call it, and making use of the library and include files already available with the respective distributions, without making any versions of its own. It is still a bit hairy (I had to cheat the gcc Makefiles in a few places, which is why it is not ready for publication yet).
        • Harsh
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
            For the moment, I'd just be happy to get a cross compile environment for regular C++ binaries. I probably would need to port/build a few drivers onto the slug later on though so having kernel module build capability would be rather handy.

            Thanks for everyone's response on this. Really great to see this group still has a lot of life in it even though the device is long EOL'd.

            -H