Cross-compile toolchain

  • Harsh
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
      Hello,

      I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a cross-compile toolchain for the NSLU2 for SlugOS 5.3 BE. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on my PC and found native compiling too painful to use so decided with this instead, but cant find much recent info on it. Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
        I am in the process of building it all now as a test and it looks fine so far.

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile

        - make a directory and enter it
        - wget http://www.nslu2-linux.org/Makefile
        - make setup-host-debian
        - make setup
        - make slugosbe-image

        (The last two are from memory as I am not there yet. You can snoop around in the Makefile to get the correct incantations)
        Steve

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a cross-compile toolchain for the NSLU2 for SlugOS 5.3 BE. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on my PC and found native compiling too painful to use so decided with this instead, but cant find much recent info on it. Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
          Well... It appears that it is broken with a python global name 'msg' not defined. I 'updated' a previous build directory on Ubuntu 10.04 and managed to break it too. When it works, it is amazing but I suspect it lacks maintenance these days.
          Steve

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a cross-compile toolchain for the NSLU2 for SlugOS 5.3 BE. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on my PC and found native compiling too painful to use so decided with this instead, but cant find much recent info on it. Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,

        • Mike Westerhof
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
            Steve wrote:
            > Well... It appears that it is broken with a python global name 'msg' not defined. I 'updated' a previous build directory on Ubuntu 10.04 and managed to break it too. When it works, it is amazing but I suspect it lacks maintenance these days.

            You'll need a build host who age matches the 5.3 SlugOS release --
            basically, the host tools (compilers, libraries, python, etc) have all
            changed in ways incompatible with the Openembedded build tools from that
            era.

            If you're using ubuntu, I'd go back to one of the 09.xx releases, or
            even the 08.xx releases (with no updates applied) and try that. For
            Fedora users, I would suggest something in the range of Fedora 9 to
            perhaps Fedora 11 might work.

            You *could* try to fix up the recipes and python libraries that make up
            the OE build tool -- cherry pick patches from the latest Openembedded
            GIT repo -- but the OE folks have dropped support for a lot of the
            cross-compilation tools we used with SlugOS 5.3, so that approach is
            unlikely to work very well. I can tell you that selecting a snapshot
            from last November of the OE build system will get you a SlugOS
            5.4-alpha that worked very nicely indeed. In fact, if my job situation
            hadn't changed so dramatically last December, I would have released
            SlugOS 5.4-beta at the end of December... c'est la vie.

            -Mike (mwester)

            > Steve
            >
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a cross-compile toolchain for the NSLU2 for SlugOS 5.3 BE. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on my PC and found native compiling too painful to use so decided with this instead, but cant find much recent info on it. Any help would be appreciated.
            >>
            >> Thanks,

          • Harsh
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
              Thanks a bunch for the direction! Probably saved me a lot of pain in the process.

              I'll try and give it a go with the latest snapshot and tweak the OE build to see how it goes.

              -H

              > Well... It appears that it is broken with a python global name 'msg' not defined. I 'updated' a previous build directory on Ubuntu 10.04 and managed to break it too. When it works, it is amazing but I suspect it lacks maintenance these days.

              You'll need a build host who age matches the 5.3 SlugOS release --
              basically, the host tools (compilers, libraries, python, etc) have all
              changed in ways incompatible with the Openembedded build tools from that
              era.

              If you're using ubuntu, I'd go back to one of the 09.xx releases, or
              even the 08.xx releases (with no updates applied) and try that. For
              Fedora users, I would suggest something in the range of Fedora 9 to
              perhaps Fedora 11 might work.

              You *could* try to fix up the recipes and python libraries that make up
              the OE build tool -- cherry pick patches from the latest Openembedded
              GIT repo -- but the OE folks have dropped support for a lot of the
              cross-compilation tools we used with SlugOS 5.3, so that approach is
              unlikely to work very well. I can tell you that selecting a snapshot
              from last November of the OE build system will get you a SlugOS
              5.4-alpha that worked very nicely indeed. In fact, if my job situation
              hadn't changed so dramatically last December, I would have released
              SlugOS 5.4-beta at the end of December... c'est la vie.

              -Mike (mwester)

              > Steve
              >
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a cross-compile toolchain for the NSLU2 for SlugOS 5.3 BE. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on my PC and found native compiling too painful to use so decided with this instead, but cant find much recent info on it. Any help would be appreciated.
              >>
              >> Thanks,

            • Mike Westerhof
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
                Harsh wrote:

                > Thanks a bunch for the direction! Probably saved me a lot of pain in
                > the process.
                >
                > I'll try and give it a go with the latest snapshot and tweak the OE
                > build to see how it goes.
                >
                > -H

                I just checked my autobuilder -- apparently it too is suffering from the
                python "msg" problem. Looks like the OE folks now require at least
                version 1.10 of bitbake. So, edit the Makefile, find the two lines that
                reference bitbake 1.8 versions, and change them to 1.10 and 1.10.1
                respectively. I'm not sure that SlugOS will build with this new
                bitbake version, though.

                I'm not sure if this was an intentional change on the part of the OE
                team; this happened in the past week and I don't recall seeing an
                announcement from them. If it was intentional, we'll have to update the
                master Makefile, I guess.

                -Mike

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
                  I made the changes and after updating and running 'make setup' it started but reported missing 'chrpath' and using 'dash' instead of 'bash'. Fixed those issues and it is building the toolchain now on Ubuntu 10.10. Thanks for the help Mike.

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

                  > Harsh wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Thanks a bunch for the direction! Probably saved me a lot of pain in
                  > > the process.
                  > >
                  > > I'll try and give it a go with the latest snapshot and tweak the OE
                  > > build to see how it goes.
                  > >
                  > > -H
                  > >
                  > I just checked my autobuilder -- apparently it too is suffering from the
                  > python "msg" problem. Looks like the OE folks now require at least
                  > version 1.10 of bitbake. So, edit the Makefile, find the two lines that
                  > reference bitbake 1.8 versions, and change them to 1.10 and 1.10.1
                  > respectively. I'm not sure that SlugOS will build with this new
                  > bitbake version, though.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure if this was an intentional change on the part of the OE
                  > team; this happened in the past week and I don't recall seeing an
                  > announcement from them. If it was intentional, we'll have to update the
                  > master Makefile, I guess.
                  >
                  > -Mike

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
                    The build of slugosbe-image (5.5_alpha BTW) completed with no errors. I haven't actually put it into a slug yet but thought it was worth a note.
                    Thanks again for the assistance.

                  • clerew5
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks a bunch for the direction! Probably saved me a lot of pain in the process.
                      >
                      > I'll try and give it a go with the latest snapshot and tweak the OE build to see how it goes.

                      It is not clear to me whether you need the cross-compiler in order to compile slugos itself (or maybe additional kernel modules), or whether you just want to compile applications to run on Slugos 5.3. If it's the former, then Mike is the expert and you do what he says. But if it is the latter, then you really do not need to get involved with all the OE stuff at all.

                      Even the machinery for cross compiling Optware is more complex than it needs to be IMHO.

                      I have constructed a cross-compiler which will compile for both slugos 4.8 and slugos 5.3, including both big and little endian versions of each, depending on just how you call it, and making use of the library and include files already available with the respective distributions, without making any versions of its own. It is still a bit hairy (I had to cheat the gcc Makefiles in a few places, which is why it is not ready for publication yet).
                    • Harsh
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
                        For the moment, I'd just be happy to get a cross compile environment for regular C++ binaries. I probably would need to port/build a few drivers onto the slug later on though so having kernel module build capability would be rather handy.

                        Thanks for everyone's response on this. Really great to see this group still has a lot of life in it even though the device is long EOL'd.