Re: Fix a nslu that never worked out as a web server?

  • james_robertson2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
      I posted a reply to this one yesterday, but it doesn't seem to have appeared. There's loads of info at http://www.nslu2-linux.org (read the info and disclaimer on the home page) including cool applications (I use my NSLU2 as a simple file share and to serve up MP3s using mt-daapd).

      Since you don't know what you've done to your NSLU2 in the past and have lost the USB flash with the (possible Unslung) firmware on it, you could just start again from scratch, with a new USB flash/hard drive. You may well need to do a "redboot" (refers to the red(ish) light that appears during boot) - see the instructions here:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware

      Firmware is here: http://www.slug-firmware.net/u-dls.php

      Very importantly, ***follow the instructions in the "readme" available with the firmware***

      Have fun :)

      Jim
    • dystopianrebel
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
        I've had a Slug running a Web server for *several years* and it hasn't let me down yet. However, I use lighttpd (not Apache) and Sqlite and Berkeley DB (not MySQL). LAMP needs more memory than the NSLU2 contains.

        My other NSLU2s are NAS devices using the original firmware. They have been very reliable.