Fix a nslu that never worked out as a web server?

  • ballepuder
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2010
      Hello.

      A while ago i wanted to use my NSLU2 as a web-server for my business.
      I think i used all kinds of different ways to set it up and installed different versions of the different solutions.
      Any way, i never managed to get it to work as i wanted, actually i hardly got it to work at all. So after a while i gave up and just built a new server from computer parts i had laying around and installed a lamp-stack on it, that only took me the time it takes to download the software, the rest was very simple and intuitive.
      And yes, it works better than the nslu2, its faster, stronger, and more versatile, BUT its much bigger and more noisy, i guess you cant win them all.
      Anyway, what can i do if i want to use my NSLU2 for anything after this? Are there necessary steps i need to do first? to be honest i don't know now what FW is in it, and the memory stick i had inserted and used for it is now missing.
      So, what can i do? can i use it as it originally was built, or use it as a network share with different FW? I am a bit lost about this and really would appreciate some help here.
    • james_robertson2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
        I posted a reply to this one yesterday, but it doesn't seem to have appeared. There's loads of info at http://www.nslu2-linux.org (read the info and disclaimer on the home page) including cool applications (I use my NSLU2 as a simple file share and to serve up MP3s using mt-daapd).

        Since you don't know what you've done to your NSLU2 in the past and have lost the USB flash with the (possible Unslung) firmware on it, you could just start again from scratch, with a new USB flash/hard drive. You may well need to do a "redboot" (refers to the red(ish) light that appears during boot) - see the instructions here:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware

        Firmware is here: http://www.slug-firmware.net/u-dls.php

        Very importantly, ***follow the instructions in the "readme" available with the firmware***

        Have fun :)

        Jim
      • dystopianrebel
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
          I've had a Slug running a Web server for *several years* and it hasn't let me down yet. However, I use lighttpd (not Apache) and Sqlite and Berkeley DB (not MySQL). LAMP needs more memory than the NSLU2 contains.

          My other NSLU2s are NAS devices using the original firmware. They have been very reliable.