Rtorrent on WebOS

  • alphacool13
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2010
      To anyone with experience of Rtorrent (especially on WebOS).

      I installed Rtorrent (following the procedure described here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/RTorrent) on my rooted pre.
      It works, but when loading a torrent, the phone freeze for 3-5 minutes before starting the torrent (even the shell becomes unresponsive).
      I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same issue and since I couldn't find a better place...

      The only modif I have done to the procedure is not using the bind from the script since I'm behind a wifi router with open ports not a 3g connection (defaults to 127.0.0.1).
      If you have ANY idea of what maybe happening feel free to contact me anytime!

      Guillaume
    • cbm128
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2010
        > I installed Rtorrent (following the procedure described here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/RTorrent) on my rooted pre.
        > It works, but when loading a torrent, the phone freeze for 3-5 minutes before starting the torrent (even the shell becomes unresponsive).

        Could it be that it is allocating the storage for the object you are downloading?
        I know that some binary versions of rtorrent do preallocate space before triyng to download (slow startup)
        While others do sparse allocation of the files and only allocate the segments they are currently downloading (you get a painfully fragmented filesystem)
        I do not remember if this is something configurable at run-time or only at build time, check the doc.
        Besides that ususally the initialization is quite resource hungry, on my debianized sheevaplug it freezes for a few seconds (depending on object sie), maybe on a mobile device it is not that quick.

        Cheers

        Max

        P.S. what's the point in using a mobile phone to dload stuff over bittorrent (aside from the nice technical exercise ;-)
      • alphacool13
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
          Thanks for the answer! I was thinking about that already...
          I'll look into config file again (Already looked a bit, could not find...), and will try rebuilding (Might be hard to build on WebOS, never tried on an embedded platform).

          As for the purpose of this experiment, it is mainly for Science :).

          I actually found myself with a defective(Slider problems, phone shuts down when moving it too hard), out-of-warranty, Pre. So instead of repairing, I thought that I could use the device as a small, free and fanless linux box and it is for the most part working out real well! And best of all, I can take it anywhere where there is wifi, start it and use it for all kinds of useful stuff :).

          I'll look into your suggestion, thanks for the help!

          Guillaume

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
            Oh and I found my answer:
            http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/943

            Actually the Pre's Internal memory is VFAT... Therefor prealloc of memory is essential for the filesystem... nothing I can do there
            expect maybe use the work-around suggested (complicated!), or maybee lower app priority... If you think of something don't hesitate to reply!