Re: lost password - now had to add a user

  • Jel Coward
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20 11:18 PM
      On 10-09-20 10:36 PM, Jel Coward wrote:
      > yes, I know, it's sad........!

      ....and now i have remembered it (well I hadn't forgotten it, but had
      forgotten the username).

      This is all for logging in via ssh (yes, I know I should use a key).

      .....so now I have something new for my unslung nslu.....I have looked a
      bit on the wiki for an answer to the following

      I can log in via ssh but I cannot login using the web interface. It
      reports 'invalid username'.

      Any help with this one please?

      Sorry to be a pain (I have lurked here for a couple of years but seldom
      read much of the conversation because I became to busy to pursue my love
      of slugs!)

      Thanks for any help :)

      --
      Jel
      Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
        Reflash?

        -Jimmy

        On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Jel Coward <jel@...> wrote:

        yes, I know, it's sad........!

        .....you see I hadn't used my unslung nslu for a while.......I could
        remember the IP address - yippee.....but knowing where the door is
        doesn't help if one can't find the key :(

        I have a recollection of what I might have used....and that I may have
        shortened one because of a password character limitation.....but that is
        all I can dig out of my ageing brain.

        So I have to confess to my failings here, in public :)

        I am wondering if anyone can jog my memory about the character
        limitation....it might help me work out what I used.

        ....or.....is there a way to 'single user' in to it.....or some other
        way in.......please? :)

        Thanks for any help offered!

        --
        Jel
        Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
        http://OSCARcanada.org
        and learn about a world leading open-source Electronic Medical Record

      • Brian Wood
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
          Not sure about the details of your system, but if you are running from an HDD or a flash stick, you can just mount that
          device on another machine and edit the /etc/passwd file to remove any password from the root account, then put it back in
          the slug.

          I seem to recall reading somewhere that the password for some F/Ws is stored in multiple places, I am using Debian, and
          editing /etc/passwd on the flash stick seems to do the trick.

          On Monday, October 18, 2010 11:54:59 am you wrote:
          > Reflash?
          >
          > -Jimmy
          >
          > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Jel Coward <jel@...> wrote:
          > > yes, I know, it's sad........!
          > >
          > > .....you see I hadn't used my unslung nslu for a while.......I could
          > > remember the IP address - yippee.....but knowing where the door is
          > > doesn't help if one can't find the key :(
          > >
          > > I have a recollection of what I might have used....and that I may have
          > > shortened one because of a password character limitation.....but that is
          > > all I can dig out of my ageing brain.
          > >
          > > So I have to confess to my failings here, in public :)
          > >
          > > I am wondering if anyone can jog my memory about the character
          > > limitation....it might help me work out what I used.
          > >
          > > ....or.....is there a way to 'single user' in to it.....or some other
          > > way in.......please? :)
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help offered!
          > >
          > > --
          > > Jel
          > > Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
          > > http://OSCARcanada.org
          > > and learn about a world leading open-source Electronic Medical Record
        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
            In message <4C984E51.6050505@...>, Jel Coward
            <jel@...> writes
            >On 10-09-20 10:36 PM, Jel Coward wrote:
            >> yes, I know, it's sad........!
            >>
            >....and now i have remembered it (well I hadn't forgotten it, but had
            >forgotten the username).
            >
            >This is all for logging in via ssh (yes, I know I should use a key).
            >
            >.....so now I have something new for my unslung nslu.....I have looked a
            >bit on the wiki for an answer to the following
            >
            >I can log in via ssh but I cannot login using the web interface. It
            >reports 'invalid username'.

            I think that you cannot log into the web interface as user root.

            But you can as user admin.

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
              hey thanks Robert.

              I have to apologise - I realised after I posted that I was not running linux but unlsung (I might have name wrong).

              Anyway, it was time to whack that and put linux on it - so I killed it, installed linux and haven't looked back.

              So please accept my apologies for not re-posting to say 'hey folks please ignore my previous',

              Cheers

              jel

              On 18 October 2010 12:28, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> wrote:
              In message <4C984E51.6050505@...>, Jel Coward
              <jel@...> writes
              >On 10-09-20 10:36 PM, Jel Coward wrote:
              >> yes, I know, it's sad........!
              >>
              >....and now i have remembered it (well I hadn't forgotten it, but had
              >forgotten the username).
              >
              >This is all for logging in via ssh (yes, I know I should use a key).
              >
              >.....so now I have something new for my unslung nslu.....I have looked a
              >bit on the wiki for an answer to the following
              >
              >I can log in via ssh but I cannot login using the web interface.  It
              >reports 'invalid username'.

              I think that you cannot log into the web interface as user root.

              But you can as user admin.

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              592B 0199 2D7F FC05 C4B1 0404 2258 4471 1541 44DA

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)