lost password

  • Jel Coward
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
      yes, I know, it's sad........!

      .....you see I hadn't used my unslung nslu for a while.......I could
      remember the IP address - yippee.....but knowing where the door is
      doesn't help if one can't find the key :(

      I have a recollection of what I might have used....and that I may have
      shortened one because of a password character limitation.....but that is
      all I can dig out of my ageing brain.

      So I have to confess to my failings here, in public :)

      I am wondering if anyone can jog my memory about the character
      limitation....it might help me work out what I used.

      ....or.....is there a way to 'single user' in to it.....or some other
      way in.......please? :)

      Thanks for any help offered!

      --
      Jel
      Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
        On 10-09-20 10:36 PM, Jel Coward wrote:
        > yes, I know, it's sad........!

        ....and now i have remembered it (well I hadn't forgotten it, but had
        forgotten the username).

        This is all for logging in via ssh (yes, I know I should use a key).

        .....so now I have something new for my unslung nslu.....I have looked a
        bit on the wiki for an answer to the following

        I can log in via ssh but I cannot login using the web interface. It
        reports 'invalid username'.

        Any help with this one please?

        Sorry to be a pain (I have lurked here for a couple of years but seldom
        read much of the conversation because I became to busy to pursue my love
        of slugs!)

        Thanks for any help :)

        --
        Jel
        Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
        http://OSCARcanada.org
        and learn about a world leading open-source Electronic Medical Record
      • Jimmy C. Chau

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
            Not sure about the details of your system, but if you are running from an HDD or a flash stick, you can just mount that
            device on another machine and edit the /etc/passwd file to remove any password from the root account, then put it back in
            the slug.

            I seem to recall reading somewhere that the password for some F/Ws is stored in multiple places, I am using Debian, and
            editing /etc/passwd on the flash stick seems to do the trick.

            On Monday, October 18, 2010 11:54:59 am you wrote:
            > Reflash?
            >
            > -Jimmy
            >
            > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Jel Coward <jel@...> wrote:
            > > yes, I know, it's sad........!
            > >
            > > .....you see I hadn't used my unslung nslu for a while.......I could
            > > remember the IP address - yippee.....but knowing where the door is
            > > doesn't help if one can't find the key :(
            > >
            > > I have a recollection of what I might have used....and that I may have
            > > shortened one because of a password character limitation.....but that is
            > > all I can dig out of my ageing brain.
            > >
            > > So I have to confess to my failings here, in public :)
            > >
            > > I am wondering if anyone can jog my memory about the character
            > > limitation....it might help me work out what I used.
            > >
            > > ....or.....is there a way to 'single user' in to it.....or some other
            > > way in.......please? :)
            > >
            > > Thanks for any help offered!
            > >
            > > --
            > > Jel
            > > Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
            > > http://OSCARcanada.org
            > > and learn about a world leading open-source Electronic Medical Record
          • Robert Hammond
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
              In message <4C984E51.6050505@...>, Jel Coward
              <jel@...> writes
              >On 10-09-20 10:36 PM, Jel Coward wrote:
              >> yes, I know, it's sad........!
              >>
              >....and now i have remembered it (well I hadn't forgotten it, but had
              >forgotten the username).
              >
              >This is all for logging in via ssh (yes, I know I should use a key).
              >
              >.....so now I have something new for my unslung nslu.....I have looked a
              >bit on the wiki for an answer to the following
              >
              >I can log in via ssh but I cannot login using the web interface. It
              >reports 'invalid username'.

              I think that you cannot log into the web interface as user root.

              But you can as user admin.

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
                hey thanks Robert.

                I have to apologise - I realised after I posted that I was not running linux but unlsung (I might have name wrong).

                Anyway, it was time to whack that and put linux on it - so I killed it, installed linux and haven't looked back.

                So please accept my apologies for not re-posting to say 'hey folks please ignore my previous',

                Cheers

                jel

                On 18 October 2010 12:28, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> wrote:
                In message <4C984E51.6050505@...>, Jel Coward
                <jel@...> writes
                >On 10-09-20 10:36 PM, Jel Coward wrote:
                >> yes, I know, it's sad........!
                >>
                >....and now i have remembered it (well I hadn't forgotten it, but had
                >forgotten the username).
                >
                >This is all for logging in via ssh (yes, I know I should use a key).
                >
                >.....so now I have something new for my unslung nslu.....I have looked a
                >bit on the wiki for an answer to the following
                >
                >I can log in via ssh but I cannot login using the web interface.  It
                >reports 'invalid username'.

                I think that you cannot log into the web interface as user root.

                But you can as user admin.

                --
                Robert Hammond
                PGP:0x154144DA
                592B 0199 2D7F FC05 C4B1 0404 2258 4471 1541 44DA

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)