TwonkyVision media server

  • rolandauckenthaler
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2004

      I've unling my NSLU with the 2.12beta firmware and am trying to run
      the TwonkyVision media server verson 2.4 on it.

      When i telnet onto the NSLU I can start twonkyvision without a
      problem. So from this i assume there is enough memory to run the server.

      I put a start script under /opt/etc/init.d and it gets executed when i
      reboot the NSLU. When i telnet onto it after reboot, the twonkyvision
      server is not running.

      Do i need to do something special to run this server how can i run it
      asa daemon? Has somebody experience with this?

      cheers
    • Stefan Hauser
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2004
        Hi Roland,

        what ist the name of your start script and what file rights does it
        have? (You can view them with "ls -l <file>")

        Can you post your full script?

        Stefan Hauser
      • Kai Steinbach
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2004
          Hello Roland,

          On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:35:37 -0000, rolandauckenthaler wrote:
          > When i telnet onto the NSLU I can start twonkyvision without a
          > problem. So from this i assume there is enough memory to run .
          > the server
          > I put a start script under /opt/etc/init.d

          What happens if you execute the script manually from a telnet session.
          I had a typo in my /opt/etc/init.d/S99mediaserver script ... maybe
          it's something silly...

          > and it gets executed when i reboot the NSLU.

          How did you confirm that the script gets executed on reboot?

          > When i telnet onto it after reboot, the twonkyvision
          > server is not running.
          > Do i need to do something special to run this server how can i run it
          > asa daemon? Has somebody experience with this?

          Nothing special required, it should work in the way you are trying it.

          I have also a few more scribbles on this wiki page:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer
          Would be great if you can review it and add to it accordingly.

          Hope this helps - Kai

          PS / Off topic: are there any Spanish NSLU2 chaps in this list?
          Chances are I will be moving from England to Barcelona in the week
          after Christmas ... and I would appreciate any contact, who could give
          me a few tips with Spanish housing, broadband Internet and mobile
          phone customs, etc ... Please contact me off list - Thanks! ;-)
        • rolandauckenthaler
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 29, 2004
            Hi Kai and Stefan,

            here some info on how i put the twonkyvision server on my NSLU box
            The /opt/etc/init.d/S99mediaserver script looks like

            #!/bin/sh
            echo `date` starting > /opt/log.media
            /bin/mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /share/hdd > /dev/null
            /bin/mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /share/flash > /dev/null
            chdir /opt
            /opt/mediaserver &
            echo started >> /opt/log.media

            As you can see, i have added some logging statements and the
            logging output looks like the following after a reboot:

            Mon Nov 29 19:24:02 GMT 2004 starting
            started

            the access rights of the script are:
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 445 Nov 29 19:04 S99mediaserver

            When i do the ps command i get the following processes
            Processes:
            1 root 1212 S init
            2 root 0 S [keventd]
            3 root 0 R [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
            4 root 0 S [kswapd]
            5 root 0 S [bdflush]
            6 root 0 S [kupdated]
            7 root 0 S [mtdblockd]
            8 root 0 S [khubd]
            15 root 0 S [usb-mxo-ot1]
            16 root 0 D [usb-storage-1]
            17 root 0 S [scsi_eh_1]
            34 root 0 S [kjournald]
            47 root 0 D [ixp425_csr]
            49 root 0 S [ixp425 ixp1]
            51 ttyS0 root 1916 S /bin/sh
            52 root 1936 S /sbin/syslogd -n
            53 root 1924 S /sbin/klogd -n
            139 root 1216 S /sbin/udhcpc -H ExternalDisk
            161 root 0 S [kjournald]
            339 root 2108 S /usr/sbin/thttpd -C /etc/thttpd.conf
            363 root 3936 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
            365 root 3128 S /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
            368 root 1240 S /usr/sbin/download
            376 root 1276 S /bin/inetd
            413 root 1208 S /usr/sbin/crond
            419 root 1908 S /usr/sbin/CheckResetButton
            421 root 1196 S /usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton
            423 root 1196 S /usr/sbin/do_umount
            427 root 1924 S /bin/sh /etc/rc.d/rc.quota
            434 root 2172 D /usr/bin/quotacheck -a
            452 root 4256 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
            461 root 1256 S /usr/sbin/telnetd
            462 ttyp0 root 1928 S -sh
            464 ttyp0 root 1988 R ps

            As you can see there are no mmediaserver processes running. My
            memory footprint looks like this (from /proc/meminfo):
            total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
            Mem: 31637504 30953472 684032 0 9736192 1318912
            Swap: 57569280 3084288 54484992
            MemTotal: 30896 kB
            MemFree: 668 kB
            MemShared: 0 kB
            Buffers: 9508 kB
            Cached: 1084 kB
            SwapCached: 204 kB
            Active: 7252 kB
            Inactive: 3980 kB
            HighTotal: 0 kB
            HighFree: 0 kB
            LowTotal: 30896 kB
            LowFree: 668 kB
            SwapTotal: 56220 kB
            SwapFree: 53208 kB

            When i run teh script from the shell then teh server runs fine. I get
            the following additional processes on my box.

            485 ttyp0 root 12524 S /opt/mediaserver
            487 ttyp0 root 12524 S /opt/mediaserver
            488 ttyp0 root 12524 D /opt/mediaserver
            489 ttyp0 root 12524 S /opt/mediaserver
            490 ttyp0 root 12524 S /opt/mediaserver
            491 ttyp0 root 12524 S /opt/mediaserver
            492 ttyp0 root 12524 S /opt/mediaserver

            with the new memory footprint being:

            total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
            Mem: 31637504 31072256 565248 0 3117056 14745600
            Swap: 57569280 2543616 55025664
            MemTotal: 30896 kB
            MemFree: 552 kB
            MemShared: 0 kB
            Buffers: 3044 kB
            Cached: 13952 kB
            SwapCached: 448 kB
            Active: 5736 kB
            Inactive: 13856 kB
            HighTotal: 0 kB
            HighFree: 0 kB
            LowTotal: 30896 kB
            LowFree: 552 kB
            SwapTotal: 56220 kB
            SwapFree: 53736 kB

            So with the processes running i can use a netgear MP101 box to listen
            to the MP3s on the haddisk.

            but unfortunately i can't logout without the server stay up and
            running :-S

            If some of you can help that would be great.

            Roland

            PS: Kai, a work mate of mine (he's argentinean) is also moving from
            bristol to barcelona next year to work from there for about 6 month.
            He's also into IT and probably knows how the stuff works down there.
            If you like i can give him your email and he can hook up with you.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@g...>
            wrote:
            > Hello Roland,
            >
            > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:35:37 -0000, rolandauckenthaler wrote:
            > > When i telnet onto the NSLU I can start twonkyvision without a
            > > problem. So from this i assume there is enough memory to run .
            > > the server
            > > I put a start script under /opt/etc/init.d
            >
            > What happens if you execute the script manually from a telnet session.
            > I had a typo in my /opt/etc/init.d/S99mediaserver script ... maybe
            > it's something silly...
            >
            > > and it gets executed when i reboot the NSLU.
            >
            > How did you confirm that the script gets executed on reboot?
            >
            > > When i telnet onto it after reboot, the twonkyvision
            > > server is not running.
            > > Do i need to do something special to run this server how can i run it
            > > asa daemon? Has somebody experience with this?
            >
            > Nothing special required, it should work in the way you are trying it.
            >
            > I have also a few more scribbles on this wiki page:
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer
            > Would be great if you can review it and add to it accordingly.
            >
            > Hope this helps - Kai
            >

            > PS / Off topic: are there any Spanish NSLU2 chaps in this list?
            > Chances are I will be moving from England to Barcelona in the week
            > after Christmas ... and I would appreciate any contact, who could give
            > me a few tips with Spanish housing, broadband Internet and mobile
            > phone customs, etc ... Please contact me off list - Thanks! ;-)
          • sisash
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
              Hi Roland,

              I compiled up nohup so that I could start processes and have them
              keep run after I had closed the shell down. If you like I could send
              it to you.

              Simon.

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rolandauckenthaler"
              <rauckenthaler@h...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > Do i need to do something special to run this server how can i
              run it
              > > > asa daemon? Has somebody experience with this?
              > >
              > > Nothing special required, it should work in the way you are
              trying it.

              > > I have also a few more scribbles on this wiki page:
              > > http://www.nslu2-
              linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer
              > > Would be great if you can review it and add to it accordingly.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps - Kai
              > >

              > > PS / Off topic: are there any Spanish NSLU2 chaps in this list?
              > > Chances are I will be moving from England to Barcelona in the
              week
              > > after Christmas ... and I would appreciate any contact, who
              could give
              > > me a few tips with Spanish housing, broadband Internet and mobile
              > > phone customs, etc ... Please contact me off list - Thanks! ;-)
            • Lars
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                Hi Simon i am interestet i a vesion off nohup.
                I am going to buy a vertion off TwonkyVIsion. I cant compile at the
                moment i am having the /lib/cpp fails sanity check problems so i cant
                compile.
                Yours Lars

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                  You can download it from

                  http://world.waena.edu/~simon/nohup.gz

                  Simon.

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Lars" <ilafe@r...> wrote:

                  > Hi Simon i am interestet i a vesion off nohup.
                  > I am going to buy a vertion off TwonkyVIsion. I cant compile at the
                  > moment i am having the /lib/cpp fails sanity check problems so i
                  cant
                  > compile.
                  > Yours Lars
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sisash" <sisash@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Roland,
                  > >
                  > > I compiled up nohup so that I could start processes and have
                  them
                  > > keep run after I had closed the shell down. If you like I could
                  send
                  > > it to you.
                  > >
                  > > Simon.
                  > >

                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rolandauckenthaler"
                  > > <rauckenthaler@h...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Kai and Stefan,
                  > > >
                  > > > here some info on how i put the twonkyvision server on my NSLU
                  box
                  > > > The /opt/etc/init.d/S99mediaserver script looks like
                  > > >
                  > > > #!/bin/sh
                  > > > echo `date` starting > /opt/log.media
                  > > > /bin/mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /share/hdd > /dev/null
                  > > > /bin/mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /share/flash > /dev/null
                  > > > chdir /opt
                  > > > /opt/mediaserver &
                  > > > echo started >> /opt/log.media
                  > > >
                  > > > As you can see, i have added some logging statements and the
                  > > > logging output looks like the following after a reboot:
                  > > >
                  > > > Mon Nov 29 19:24:02 GMT 2004 starting
                  > > > started
                  > > >
                  > > > the access rights of the script are:
                  > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 445 Nov 29 19:04 S99mediaserver
                  > > >
                  > > > When i do the ps command i get the following processes
                  > > > Processes:
                  > > > 1 root 1212 S init
                  > > > 2 root 0 S [keventd]
                  > > > 3 root 0 R [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
                  > > > 4 root 0 S [kswapd]
                  > > > 5 root 0 S [bdflush]
                  > > > 6 root 0 S [kupdated]
                  > > > 7 root 0 S [mtdblockd]
                  > > > 8 root 0 S [khubd]
                  > > > 15 root 0 S [usb-mxo-ot1]
                  > > > 16 root 0 D [usb-storage-1]
                  > > > 17 root 0 S [scsi_eh_1]
                  > > > 34 root 0 S [kjournald]
                  > > > 47 root 0 D [ixp425_csr]
                  > > > 49 root 0 S [ixp425 ixp1]
                  > > > 51 ttyS0 root 1916 S /bin/sh
                  > > > 52 root 1936 S /sbin/syslogd -n
                  > > > 53 root 1924 S /sbin/klogd -n
                  > > > 139 root 1216 S /sbin/udhcpc -H
                  ExternalDisk
> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > but unfortunately i can't logout without the server stay up and
                  > > > running :-S
                  > > >
                  > > > If some of you can help that would be great.
                  > > >
                  > > > Roland
                  > > >
                  > > > PS: Kai, a work mate of mine (he's argentinean) is also moving
                  from
                  > > > bristol to barcelona next year to work from there for about 6
                  > > month.
                  > > > He's also into IT and probably knows how the stuff works down
                  > > there.
                  > > > If you like i can give him your email and he can hook up with
                  you.

                  > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Kai Steinbach
                  > > <kai.steinbach@g...>

                  > > session.
                  > > maybe

                  > > run it

                  > > trying it.

                  > > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer

                • Davy Salvini
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Same for me.

                    Regards,
                    Davy
                    --- Lars <ilafe@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > 462 ttyp0 root 1928 S -sh
                    > > > 464 ttyp0 root 1988 R ps
                    > > >
                    > > > As you can see there are no mmediaserver
                    > processes running. My
                    > > > memory footprint looks like this (from
                    > /proc/meminfo):
                    > > > total: used: free: shared:
                    > buffers: cached:
                    > > > Mem: 31637504 30953472 684032 0
                    > 9736192 1318912
                    > > > Swap: 57569280 3084288 54484992
                    > > > MemTotal: 30896 kB
                    > > > MemFree: 668 kB
                    > > > MemShared: 0 kB
                    > > > Buffers: 9508 kB
                    > > > Cached: 1084 kB
                    > > > SwapCached: 204 kB
                    > > > Active: 7252 kB
                    > > > Inactive: 3980 kB
                    > > > HighTotal: 0 kB
                    > > > HighFree: 0 kB
                    > > > LowTotal: 30896 kB
                    > > > LowFree: 668 kB
                    > > > SwapTotal: 56220 kB
                    > > > SwapFree: 53208 kB
                    > > >
                    > > > When i run teh script from the shell then teh
                    > server runs fine. I
                    > > get
                    > > > the following additional processes on my box.
                    > > >
                    > > > 485 ttyp0 root 12524 S
                    > /opt/mediaserver
                    > > > 487 ttyp0 root 12524 S
                    > /opt/mediaserver
                    > > > 488 ttyp0 root 12524 D
                    > /opt/mediaserver
                    > > > 489 ttyp0 root 12524 S
                    > /opt/mediaserver
                    > > > 490 ttyp0 root 12524 S
                    > /opt/mediaserver
                    > > > 491 ttyp0 root 12524 S
                    > /opt/mediaserver
                    > > > 492 ttyp0 root 12524 S
                    > /opt/mediaserver
                    > > >
                    > > > with the new memory footprint being:
                    > > >
                    > > > total: used: free: shared:
                    > buffers: cached:
                    > > > Mem: 31637504 31072256 565248 0
                    > 3117056 14745600
                    > > > Swap: 57569280 2543616 55025664
                    > > > MemTotal: 30896 kB
                    > > > MemFree: 552 kB
                    > > > MemShared: 0 kB
                    > > > Buffers: 3044 kB
                    > > > Cached: 13952 kB
                    > > > SwapCached: 448 kB
                    > > > Active: 5736 kB
                    > > > Inactive: 13856 kB
                    > > > HighTotal: 0 kB
                    > > > HighFree: 0 kB
                    > > > LowTotal: 30896 kB
                    > > > LowFree: 552 kB
                    > > > SwapTotal: 56220 kB
                    > > > SwapFree: 53736 kB
                    > > >
                    > > > So with the processes running i can use a
                    > netgear MP101 box to
                    > > listen
                    > > > to the MP3s on the haddisk.
                    > > >
                    > > > but unfortunately i can't logout without the
                    > server stay up and
                    > > > running :-S
                    > > >
                    > > > If some of you can help that would be great.
                    > > >
                    > > > Roland
                    > > >
                    > > > PS: Kai, a work mate of mine (he's argentinean)
                    > is also moving from
                    > > > bristol to barcelona next year to work from
                    > there for about 6
                    > > month.
                    > > > He's also into IT and probably knows how the

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Lars
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                      Great. Thankx!
                      Cheers Lars

                      > You can download it from
                      >
                      > http://world.waena.edu/~simon/nohup.gz
                      >
                      > Simon.
                      > Thanks! ;-)
                    • rolandauckenthaler
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                        Hi Simon,

                        Thank's a lot - Twonkyvision now works perfectly. Do you mind if i add
                        the link to the nohup to the twiki at
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer
                        ?

                        roland

                      • sisash
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
                          I don't mind at all. I just can not guarantee that the server where
                          I put the file will always be there. Perhaps nohup could be added to
                          the set of nslu2 packages? I can send someone the nohup.c file I
                          compiled if they know how to add packages.