RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: NSLU2 vs WDTV Live vs Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar

  • Roland Gallinera
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010

      The Dockstar is on sale at local futureshop stores here in Canada for $29.99 CAD (around $27 USD)… I bought 2 and will be playing with it…. Being a newbie, I hope people would post some tutorials on how to use optware with it…

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
        I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
        I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
          Roland,

          Where in Canada are you?
          Here in Ottawa it is still for $90... :-(

          Roman

          Roland Gallinera murmured, on 9/1/2010 9:14 AM:

          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010

            I’m in Winnipeg, it is tagged at $89.99 but when scanned it’s $29.99… better hurry, it may run out or price may go up by Friday (when prices usually changes)

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
              Thanks, I will check.
              Roman

              Roland Gallinera murmured, on 9/1/2010 8:18 PM:

              I’m in Winnipeg, it is tagged at $89.99 but when scanned it’s $29.99… better hurry, it may run out or price may go up by Friday (when prices usually changes)

              The Pogoplug v2 is on sale in the US for $48 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Device/dp/B0033WSDR4/. Pretty sweet deal, and pretty nice machine (1 Ghz ARM processor, 256 MB of RAM, 128 MB Flash). Unfortunately, the open source developer community isn't nearly as strong as the NSLU community, but there is a way to use the NSLU optware packages. I have mt-daap, mediatomb, samba, lighttpd + PHP, msyql and a bunch of little PHP apps running on it using OpenPogo. Furthermore, the Cloud Engines company does a reasonable job of releasing new features with their proprietary software.

              Enjoy,
              Tim

            • Mirco Piccin
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 5, 2010
                Hi all

                > I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
                > I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

                Emil, where did you buy the DockStar at 20 eur?
                In the store suggested by Rudolf (www.atelco.de), i find it at 24,99 eur..

                Regards
              • Emil Granström
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.

                  I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                  Brg
                   Emil

                  On 2010-09-05 23:54, Mirco Piccin wrote:

                  Hi all

                  > I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
                  > I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

                  Emil, where did you buy the DockStar at 20 eur?
                  In the store suggested by Rudolf (www.atelco.de), i find it at 24,99 eur..

                  Regards

                • slackline
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Emil Granstr�m <emilg@...> wrote:

                    > Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.
                    >
                    > I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                    From???

                    Mirco Piccin is probably keen to take advantage of the same deal, so one of those really useful hyperlinks/URL's for the store/page you bought it from would _really_ help them!

                  • Emil Granström
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                      I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                      On 2010-09-07 09:06, slackline wrote:

                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Emil Granstr�m <emilg@...> wrote:

                      > Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.
                      >
                      > I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                      From???

                      Mirco Piccin is probably keen to take advantage of the same deal, so one of those really useful hyperlinks/URL's for the store/page you bought it from would _really_ help them!

                    • Matti Palmström
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                        On 09/07/2010 11:50 AM, Emil Granström wrote:

                        > I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                        Seems like Seagate is dumping the price now. Here they sell it for
                        $39.99
                        http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar/

                        Which actually means I'll have to buy one just to toy around with :-)
                      • Mirco Piccin
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                          Hi

                          > I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                          i've abandoned the idea to buy from adelco: the shipment cost is 30 eur (more than the Seagate itself...) !!
                          I'm looking now for an used item..

                          Regards