Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: NSLU2 vs WDTV Live vs Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar

  • Tim Bishop
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 31, 2010
      The Pogoplug v2 is on sale in the US for $48 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Device/dp/B0033WSDR4/. Pretty sweet deal, and pretty nice machine (1 Ghz ARM processor, 256 MB of RAM, 128 MB Flash). Unfortunately, the open source developer community isn't nearly as strong as the NSLU community, but there is a way to use the NSLU optware packages. I have mt-daap, mediatomb, samba, lighttpd + PHP, msyql and a bunch of little PHP apps running on it using OpenPogo. Furthermore, the Cloud Engines company does a reasonable job of releasing new features with their proprietary software.

      Enjoy,
      Tim

      On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM, reuter.rudolf <reuterru@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      The DockStar is now on sale for $40 at:
      http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar/

      In Germany only 20 EUR (~$30) at www.atelco.de

      Regards, Rudolf

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

      > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148496&Tpk=seagate%20dockstar
      >
      > $50.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hassys" <hassys@> wrote:
      > > > So yes. It's about three times more expensive (old slug vs new plug), however, the hardware is also at least three times more powerfull etc.
      > >
      > > How about the "Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar"?
      > > It has 128 MB RAM, 3 x USB host, 1 x USB mini.
      > > Price in Germany 55 - 83 EUR (74$ - 112$) incl. shipping
      > > (http://www.cs-edelhof.de/ - www.amazon.de)
      > >
      > > You will find a comparison:
      > > 2010-03-07 Gegenüberstellung Sheevaplug, PogoPlug V1/V2, Dockstar, GuruPlug
      > > http://blogdoch.net/index.php?m=03&y=10&entry=entry100307-154800
      > >
      > > A review for regular users:
      > > http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30936-seagate-freeagent-dockstar-reviewed
      > > Data transfer rate: Read  Write MB/sec
      > > Using Dockstar    22.54   22.86
      > > Direct attached   32.49   24.52
      > >
      > > A description, how to open (hardware/software) the box:
      > > http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/
      > >
      > > Regards, Rudolf

    • Roland Gallinera
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010

        The Dockstar is on sale at local futureshop stores here in Canada for $29.99 CAD (around $27 USD)… I bought 2 and will be playing with it…. Being a newbie, I hope people would post some tutorials on how to use optware with it…

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
          I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
          I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
            Roland,

            Where in Canada are you?
            Here in Ottawa it is still for $90... :-(

            Roman

            Roland Gallinera murmured, on 9/1/2010 9:14 AM:

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010

              I’m in Winnipeg, it is tagged at $89.99 but when scanned it’s $29.99… better hurry, it may run out or price may go up by Friday (when prices usually changes)

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
                Thanks, I will check.
                Roman

                Roland Gallinera murmured, on 9/1/2010 8:18 PM:

                I’m in Winnipeg, it is tagged at $89.99 but when scanned it’s $29.99… better hurry, it may run out or price may go up by Friday (when prices usually changes)

                The Pogoplug v2 is on sale in the US for $48 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Device/dp/B0033WSDR4/. Pretty sweet deal, and pretty nice machine (1 Ghz ARM processor, 256 MB of RAM, 128 MB Flash). Unfortunately, the open source developer community isn't nearly as strong as the NSLU community, but there is a way to use the NSLU optware packages. I have mt-daap, mediatomb, samba, lighttpd + PHP, msyql and a bunch of little PHP apps running on it using OpenPogo. Furthermore, the Cloud Engines company does a reasonable job of releasing new features with their proprietary software.

                Enjoy,
                Tim

              • Mirco Piccin
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Hi all

                  > I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
                  > I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

                  Emil, where did you buy the DockStar at 20 eur?
                  In the store suggested by Rudolf (www.atelco.de), i find it at 24,99 eur..

                  Regards
                • Emil Granström
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 5, 2010
                    Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.

                    I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                    Brg
                     Emil

                    On 2010-09-05 23:54, Mirco Piccin wrote:

                    Hi all

                    > I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
                    > I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

                    Emil, where did you buy the DockStar at 20 eur?
                    In the store suggested by Rudolf (www.atelco.de), i find it at 24,99 eur..

                    Regards

                  • slackline
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Emil Granstr�m <emilg@...> wrote:

                      > Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.
                      >
                      > I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                      From???

                      Mirco Piccin is probably keen to take advantage of the same deal, so one of those really useful hyperlinks/URL's for the store/page you bought it from would _really_ help them!

                    • Emil Granström
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                        I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                        On 2010-09-07 09:06, slackline wrote:

                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Emil Granstr�m <emilg@...> wrote:

                        > Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.
                        >
                        > I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                        From???

                        Mirco Piccin is probably keen to take advantage of the same deal, so one of those really useful hyperlinks/URL's for the store/page you bought it from would _really_ help them!

                      • Matti Palmström
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                          On 09/07/2010 11:50 AM, Emil Granström wrote:

                          > I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                          Seems like Seagate is dumping the price now. Here they sell it for
                          $39.99
                          http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar/

                          Which actually means I'll have to buy one just to toy around with :-)
                        • Mirco Piccin
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                            Hi

                            > I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                            i've abandoned the idea to buy from adelco: the shipment cost is 30 eur (more than the Seagate itself...) !!
                            I'm looking now for an used item..

                            Regards