ttyS0 settings

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2010
      I am trying to use serial terminal connected to the internal serial port, but communication is not reliable at default 115200 bps.
      I tested serial terminal with putty at 9600 and 19200 and it works fine.

      Is there any way to change settings on ttyS0, in particular the speed from 115200 to 9600 bps?

      I tried it with agetty by adding line to inittab:
      S0:23:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

      but could not get it work.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks
      Roman
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2010
        Roman wrote:
        > I am trying to use serial terminal connected to the internal serial port, but communication is not reliable at default 115200 bps.

        How so?

        > I tested serial terminal with putty at 9600 and 19200 and it works fine.
        >
        > Is there any way to change settings on ttyS0, in particular the speed from 115200 to 9600 bps?

        Not recommended; it slows the boot down a lot. Also, you can't change
        the speed for the bootloader messages. The way to do this is to change
        it via the boot command line; easiest way to do that is to install a
        custom (self-built) linux kernel, since there's no way to change the
        boot command line that's stored in the bootloader.

        > I tried it with agetty by adding line to inittab:
        > S0:23:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
        >
        > but could not get it work.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Roman

        -Mike (mwester)
      • Roman Gargulak
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2010
            Mike, thanks for reply.

          Mike Westerhof murmured, on 8/30/2010 8:46 PM:
          Roman wrote:

          I am trying to use serial terminal connected to the internal serial port, but communication is not reliable at default 115200 bps.

          How so?

          It has nothing to do with Slug, it is rather limitation of my serial terminal.
          When tested with PC, via putty, it shows the same behavior, works fine at lower speed but is erratic at 115.2k

          I tested serial terminal with putty at 9600 and 19200 and it works fine.

          Is there any way to change settings on ttyS0, in particular the speed from 115200 to 9600 bps?

          Not recommended; it slows the boot down a lot.  Also, you can't change
          the speed for the bootloader messages.  The way to do this is to change
          it via the boot command line; easiest way to do that is to install a
          custom (self-built) linux kernel, since there's no way to change the
          boot command line that's stored in the bootloader.

          My hope was that there is an utility/command that can be used to set parameters (speed) of the serial port after the boot is completed.
          So far I had no luck.
          I have never built kernel before, but I guess there is the first time for everything.
          Any pointers how to go about it?

          Thanks,
          Roman
          I tried it with agetty by adding line to inittab:
          S0:23:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

          but could not get it work.

          Any ideas?

          Thanks
          Roman